Cleaning Trio KA1500

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Jeff_C, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jeff_C

Jeff_C

Hi all
    This is my first post here. I could not find an answer when searching this diy forum, so I apologise if this has been discussed previously.

This old Trio amp dates from 1977. It developed some noise when adjusting volume, so I have sprayed some switch cleaner into the pots. All now is well, but I am wondering whether I should have also made some attempt to clean up the accumulation of dust and grease from inside the amp. I saw the downside that I might disturb things and there was nothing to be gained in sonic performance anyway, only easthetics. Was I right?

Regards from Jeff

Jeff_C, Jan 26, 2014
  2. Jeff_C

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Jeff and welcome.

I would clean away loose dust from the insides. Use a household paint brush to gently brush the boards and chassis whilst vacuuming, or loosen the dust/dirt and then vacuum later. Avoid any small board mounted pots as you don't want to disturb them, or go very carefully over them.

For pots and switches I'd recommend Caig Deoxit D5, followed by Caig Fader F5 to give lubrication and protection.

Good amps those old Trios.

RobHolt, Jan 27, 2014
  3. Jeff_C

Jeff_C

Thanks for your advice Rob. I will give a go. I also have a Rotel RC-960BX pre-amp circa 1991 which would probably benefit from cleaning the pots and switches and a general clean.
    Jeff

Jeff_C, Jan 27, 2014
  4. Jeff_C

RobHolt Moderator

If you have several things to restore, a can of D5 is well worth the £20 outlay.

RobHolt, Jan 28, 2014
Ask a Question