Codecs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, May 17, 2007.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

Bit of a long shot this i fear. I finally got myself a new laptop the other day. Only problem I'm having is that when I try and play .avi files (movies from my Ricoh Caplio R4 digicamera) I can't get any sound. I can see the movie but its silent. Vista tells me it needs a codec but when I click web help it can't find one for me. I've tried googling for it and even downloaded an application (GSpot) to tell me what I need but I still can't get hold of it. Any recommendations on a straightforward site for downloading codecs? Or any other suggestions.

Heavymental, May 17, 2007
  2. Heavymental

Dik Dolan

Which codec does gspot say the file uses?
    You could try playing the .avi with VLC. It's a free player that always seems to be able to play files that windows WMP balks at.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Dik Dolan, May 18, 2007
  3. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

My colleague here in the office recommends VLC (he seems to know what he's talking about regards this sort of stuff.

I'd also recommend you install the DivX bundle. I had a similar problem the other day with an AVI file, though I had no sound or picture. The DivX player played it just fine, the bundle also includes converters too. The DivX file format seems a good bet IMO.

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

greg, May 18, 2007
  4. Heavymental

Heavymental

Hmm...downloaded Divx and it played audio but it was all scrambled....just tried videolan and that has worked a treat. Just wondering if I'll be able to edit the movies with sound of not. Guess I'll have to see.
    Cheers for the help though. Can view them fine now.

Heavymental, May 18, 2007
Ask a Question