Come one, come all!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Jun 19, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

On the subject of moderation, I've got some ideas but haven't given it much thought yet.

The currently policy is that there's no moderation only because I haven't worked anything out yet!

I don't know if the bulletin board software allows "dynamic" moderators like making the thread starter the moderator - I'll look into it. In any case, I need a few volunteers to be general moderators because there's no way I'm going to be able to handle it all myself :eek:

Once I've thought of a moderation charter (suggestions welcome) I'll put it into a sticky post here (once I figure out how to do that!).

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 19, 2003
  2. michaelab

Ian J

Bottom right of screen is a drop down list of moderator actions, one of which will be "make sticky"

Ian J, Jun 19, 2003
  3. michaelab

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

There seems to be a 1000 character limit for posts. The very long classical posts must, therefore, be separated into several smaller ones. Is that whay you intend or can this be remedied?

RdS

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 19, 2003
  4. michaelab

Robbo

Michael,

Is the time correct? - it reads 1 hour fast to me. I have looked in my profile and I have the correct time zone.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jun 19, 2003
  5. michaelab

Robbo

rds, that can be changed. Joel did it on GH.

Robbo, Jun 19, 2003
  6. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I've just upped the max chars per post to 50000.

Cheers Ian for the hint on stickies. Since you're here, I'll say that I'll endeavour not to have any AV Forums (or other forum) bashing here - some of which I'll admit I was responsible for over on GH :eek:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 19, 2003
  7. michaelab

Robbo

Michael,

you dont seem to be accepting PMs Is that intentional?

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jun 19, 2003
  8. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Right I've fixed the time (I had to say it was GMT+1 to get it right - I guess that's to take care of summer time).

No - didn't know I wasn't accepting PM! I'll see if I can rectify that.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 19, 2003
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

OK - I'm accepting PM again. I must have accidentally switched it off in my options.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 19, 2003
  10. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Right - I've added the GH standard smilies but it's going to be a real pain in the butt to get all 200 odd of them. I'll have to ask Joel if he'll give me all he GIFs.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 19, 2003
  11. michaelab

lowrider Live music is surround

Michael,

I am getting more than one e-mail for the same thread, is this fixable... :confused:

lowrider, Jun 19, 2003
  12. michaelab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

micheal,
    one of the things that may work is changing moderators every few months that way one person doesn;t get an endless stream of grief (there is an end in sight) i would even suggest making it like jury duty in that everyone HAS to have a bash for between a week and 2 months say just so that they have sat in the chair and know what it';s like or set up a rota of people willing to take a go at it.

i also think full disclosure of all pertinent details including complaint pm's if apropriate (should anonimity be granted though?) if drastic actions (band / thread closure) are to be taken.

clear guidelines for:
    1) moving a thread: all off topic threads can be moved with 1 days notice (of a post by the mod on that thread) to the apropriate place?

2) closing a thread: again 1 days notice that the thread will be closed and disclosure of why. perhaps the thread starter should be privy to discussions on this matter unless things have got personally abusive beyond general banter levels (i.e. the fw vs wm threats of violence of yore). perhaps a threshold of 5 clear complaints by pm to a mod? or posted on the thread itself. these should be clearly marked as official complaints and contain a decent reason for the complaint not just general whinges though.

3) warnings: 1st privately with explaination of why. 2nd publicly (so justice is seen to be done), 3rd publicly and then a ban for 1 week. and back on probation. causing a thread closure or breaking the personal insult rules perhaps should constitute grounds for a warning?

probation: any warning within 1 month and you are permanently banned after a month you get your 3 strikes back.

i'm not sure that stopping personal insults is a good thing as one persons insult is another persons witty banter. i think this should be handled by the people on the thread i.e. if someone feels insulted they should try and sort it out with the person concerned. if the other person is unresponsive or unrepentant then the mod's become involved.

banning swearing would also be a shame as there is somethign poetical about someone swearing well.

one thing.. perhaps more use and understanding should be made of the smilies. jshack fell victim to this with some barbed but witty posts which were very funny unless you didn;t realise they were a joke. a few :D 's would have possibly solved this.

hopefully self moderation will be the watchword of zerogain but there should be clear lines as to when a mod should step in with a decisive and final solution.

ok i've rambled enough i think...

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 19, 2003
  13. michaelab

auric FOSS

reincarnation

Reincarnation seems to work, lets hope we are all on a slightly higher level than when we last met.

I'll do my bit to try and make this work, it is not often we get a second chance.

Auric:)

auric, Jun 19, 2003
  14. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I hope so but I just had a look at the options and there didn't seem to be anything obvious there. If any vBulletin experts know the answer please let me know.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 19, 2003
  15. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Lots of great suggestions coming in. Thanks for your ideas Julian. I've got people around this evening so I'm going to be AWOL for a few hours but I'll be back later.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 19, 2003
  16. michaelab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

oh god, just realised with michael as 'owner' of the forum i've got to be nice about bmw's or else i'm toast.... bummer or should that be beamer.:D
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 19, 2003
  17. michaelab

HenryT

Ah, noticed the calendar feature on this forum actually serves a purpose, we can see when everyone's birthday is. Robbo, yours is the day before mine! It'll save having "how old are you" or "when were born" threads again. :D

On another note, very impressed with the connection and browsing speed on the new forum. :) I guess this is because the server is based in Europe rather than the US?

HenryT, Jun 19, 2003
  18. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mike, can we a sin bin for threads that get a little 'OTT' it did actually work on G/handle.
    I still have some Factory Visits Lined Up (Thanks Henry :) ), How about some one new each time, coming along for the experiance?
    WE I last worked, we had a prick of the week award (nominated loads but never won :D ), how about a spoon of the week waward? Fun title, Last mag I worked on, we had a 'Tales from the Toolbox' sort of behinds the sences look at the motor trade, do you guy's fancy some thing similar? all the jiucey Goss? Tone

wadia-miester, Jun 19, 2003
  19. michaelab

Sgt Rock

Maybe a LoFi too, where people could chat about mp3, mini-disk, etc ...

It might stop them being posted in HiFi.

Oh here's an idea, if someone pisses people off and they might be close to a banning by the mods, why not put it to a vote.

Sgt Rock, Jun 19, 2003
  20. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Or prehaps a 'Unforced' listening session to Sideshow's Brotzman, whoo suddenly Banning looks like a good option :eek:

wadia-miester, Jun 19, 2003
Ask a Question