Comedy in music, part 3 (last, I promise!!)

Discussion in 'General Music' started by tones, Jul 18, 2003.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Back for more? My goodness…

THE COMEDIAN HARMONISTS

This is a personal indulgence, so bear with me. This was a group of German singers (6 guys, 5 singers and a pianist) that appeared out of the music scene in Weimar Germany between the wars. Most of you will never have heard of them; even the recent excellent German film “The Comedian Harmonists†detailing their history appears never to have been released in an English version.

In a way, they were a forerunner of the King's Singers, but without the counter-tenors. They were also the world's first “boy bandâ€Â, but immensely more talented than the present lot. Their songs and arrangements were witty and beautifully performed and they took the German music world by storm, even making a successful tour of America.

Unfortunately their rise to the peak of fame and popularity coincided with the rise of Nazism in Germany and three of the members were Jewish. They soldiered on for a while, hoping, like many Jews, that if they ignored Nazism, it would go away. However, although initially grudgingly tolerated by the Nazi authorities because of their popularity, the combination of the Jewishness and the style (also disapproved of by the Nazis) ensured that it couldn't last. The group disbanded in 1935 and the Jewish members left Germany. A reformed group existed for a few more years in Europe and America, but it just wasn't the same.

The original records (now on CD) can still be had. I'd recommend the tribute CD by (who else?) the King's Singers. It is not sung in the same style as that of the Comedian Harmonists (nobody else could really do it), but it has renditions of many of the favourites (“Veronika, der Lenz ist daâ€Â, “Mein kleiner grüner Kaktusâ€Â, “Eins, zwei, drei, vierâ€Â). Cheery, happy songs from another era, beautifully done, even if you don't understand the lingo.

SPIKE JONES AND HIS CITY SLICKERS

Everyone who has ever wilfully murdered a straight song in the name of humour owes a debt to Lindley Armstrong Jones (his father was a railroad worker, hence the nickname), who wrote the book on the subject. There were relatively few new comic songs in the Jones repertoire, but lots of non-comic songs given the Jones treatment, i.e., sent up so high that they still may be up there. Indeed, an artist in the 1940s knew that s/he'd arrived when his/her efforts were comprehensively deconstructed by Spike & Co. The battery of sound effects (many operated by Spike) was awesome – tuned bottles and jars, firebells, cowbells, sirens, horns, firearms, whistles and a medley of self-invented instruments – all in time and more or less in tune! Added to that was the remarkable “glugging†of Carl Grayson and the wild and weird commentaries and spoonerisms of Winstead “Doodles†Weaver (whose niece Sigourney later became slightly famous). For example, Doodles and “The man on the flying trapezeâ€Â:

He floats by his hair. Ooh. Not by his hair. That would hurt!
    Speaking of hair, a man came up to me and said, "Doodles, your hair is getting thin." And I said, "Well, who wants fat hair?"
    THAT'S A KILLER!!!!!
    (pitch pipe) (sings out of tune) OOOWWWWWOOOOO

He floats through the air with the aidest of grease, with the latest of fleas, uhh... with plates full of cheese.
    No, no. With the birds and the bees, uhh... he can't miss.
    The manning young dare, uh, the daring young mare, He's not a horse, that's silly. He'd break his neck.
    The fanny young dan,
    The danny young fan,
    He's an awful old ham, uh, he's a young fellow 'bout my age.
    You know, a funny thing happened, a man came up to me and said, "Doodles, Doodles, did you leave home? I said, "I left home." He said, "Did you put the cat out?" I said, "I didn't know he was on fire!"
    THAT'S A KILLER!!!!!

The daring young man on the flapping tripeze, uh, treezing triflaps, uh, trying flip flips, uh, flipping triflop, uh, flapping trivalve,
    HORIZONTAL BARS!

The result was apparently total musical mayhem, but in fact it was highly disciplined. These records were made in the days before multi-tracking and that meant that all this lunacy had to be recorded in a single take. Jones's group were superb musicians and rarely missed a beat.

Spike was playing the drums in a number of bands and doing extensive session work in the 1930s when the idea came to him. The first record that featured the unique Jones style was “Clink, clink, another drinkâ€Â, also featured as a soloist, Mel Blanc “the man of a thousand voicesâ€Â, who was later to give the voices to the whole stable of Warner Bros. cartoon characters (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Foghorn Leghorn, Yosemite Sam, Porky Pig, Pepe le Pew etc., etc., etc. – even the “Meep! Meep!†of the Roadrunner!).

The big breakthrough came in 1941 with “Der Fuehrer's Faceâ€Â

When der Fuehrer says, “Ve is ze Master Raceâ€Â
    Ve say Heil! (raspberry) Heil! (raspberry) right in der Fueher's face
    Not to love the Fuehrer is a big disgrace
    Heil! (raspberry) Heil! (raspberry) right in der Fueher's face

which, in the circumstances of the time, did rather well. From that point on, nothing was safe, whether popular or classical. Jones's version of “William Tell†turns into a horse race and his version of Ponicelli's “Dance of the Hours†into the Indy 500 (both won by the same horse!). Often, as in Jones's all-time best-seller “Cocktails for twoâ€Â, the song starts off conventionally, even in a rather syrupy fashion, lulling the listeners into a false sense of security – and then total bedlam breaks loose. In “Glow Wormâ€Â, the soprano holds a long, long note, which you think is an impressive bit of vocalising – but not Spike: “TURN THE PAGE, YA FATHEAD!â€Â

Spike did try for musical respectability with a straight group that he called Spike Jones's Other Orchestra, but it didn't work – it played superbly, but it was as conservative as the City Slickers were anarchic, and the public wasn't interested. Some of the Other Orchestra work carried over into the City Slickers, where OO-type nicely-played but thoroughly bland parts were used as the calm before the City Slickers storm erupted, e.g., “Cocktails for two†and “Lauraâ€Â.

Jones made it to television, where he presided in the loudest of loud check suits over his battery of percussion instruments while lunacy erupted all around him.

One of the great benefits of CD is that many old, forgotten recording have become available again. So, the work of Spike Jones (and also the Comedian Harmonists) can now be bought. Amazon has a stunningly-priced Jones collection at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...37244/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/026-0111128-1014807

Even though I have many of them, I'm sorely tempted…

MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS

It tends to be forgotten that the Pythons has produced many very funny songs, starting with the classic “Lumberjack Songâ€Â, sung by Michael Palin and a chorus of of intrepid, manly Mounties, which becomes steadily more, er, unmanly:

Ah cut down trees
    Ah wear high heels
    Suspendies and a brar
    Ah wish ah'd been a girlie
    Jes' like ma dear Papar!

The Python stage shows also generated a few good songs, such as the deeply philosophic:

Emmanuel Kant was a real pissant
    He was very rarely stable
    Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    He could drink you under the table.

or the reason for liking Chinese

They only come up to your knees
    But they're ready and they're willing and they're able to please!

However, the best songs came from the films, such as “Always look on the bright side of life†from “Life of Brian†and “Every sperm is sacred†from “The Meaning of Lifeâ€Â. My personal favourite is Eric Idle's delightful “Galaxy Song†from “Meaningâ€Â:

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
    In all the directions it can whiz
    As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know
    Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is
    So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth
    And we pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space
    'Cos there's bugger all down here on earth!

The best collection I know is a CD called “Monty Python singsâ€Â,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...07696/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-0111128-1014807

which even includes John Cleese's “Oliver Cromwell†to the tune of a Chopin polonaise – this goes right back to the BBC radio series “I'm sorry, I'll read that againâ€Â, which also launched “Goodies†Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie.

So, that concludes my little(??) dissertation on comedy. I hope it was mildly interesting, and hopefully not entirely

Spam, spam, spam, spam,
    Spam, spam, spam, spam,
    Lovely spaaaaaam, wonderful spam!
    (lovely, lovely, lovely)
    Lovely spaaaaaam, wonderful spa-
    A-a-a-a, a-a-a-a
    A-a-a-a, a-a-a-a
    A-a-a-a, a-a-a-a
    A-a-a-a, a-a-a-
    Lovely spam!
    (Lovely spam!)
    Lovely spam!
    (Lovely spam!)
    Wonderful spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
    Spam – spam – spam – spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2003
    tones, Jul 18, 2003
  2. tones

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

...you forgot "Every sperm is sacred" from Meaning of life :)

They've got at least the "Meaning of life" and "Life of Brian" film soundtracks in FOPP for £3 each on CD - I'm very temped...

domfjbrown, Jul 18, 2003
  3. tones

No, I didn't...

"However, the best songs came from the films, such as “Always look on the bright side of life†from “Life of Brian†and “Every sperm is sacred†from “The Meaning of Lifeâ€Â. My personal favourite is Eric Idle's delightful “Galaxy Song†from “Meaningâ€Â:"

tones, Jul 18, 2003
  4. tones

julian2002 Muper Soderator

how about derek and clive. surely some of the most offensively funny songs ever...?
    from my admittedly poor memory...
    as i was walking dow the road one day
    i saw a house on fire.

... memory fails me....

jump you f*cker jump.
    we will catch you in this 'ere blanket
    and you will be alright.
    he jumped.
    hit the deck.
    broke 'is f*cking neck.
    there waaaaas no blanket...
    laugh.
    we nearly sh*t.
    we have not laughed so much since grandma died
    or auntie mabel caught her left tit in the mangle.
    we are miserable sinners
    fiiiiiiltheeeee f*ckers...
    arrrrrrrrse'ollllllls.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 18, 2003
  5. tones

Well, don't just stand there, tell us all about Derek and Clive (of whom I've never heard). Mind you, if the sample provided is typical, I'm rather glad I haven't!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2003
    tones, Jul 18, 2003
  6. tones

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Ooops :) I've got that Friday feeling, not enough caffiene, and am half asleep so totally missed that - I'll just go and :micro: to jump start my brain again :) (I LOVE that microwave smiley - it's the best!!! - even better than :banana: :banana: :banana: rama)

domfjbrown, Jul 18, 2003
  7. tones

sideshowbob Trisha

That should be Heidegger Heidegger was a boozy beggar.

-- Ian (utter pedant)

BTW, outstanding series of posts again, Tones. Enjoyable and informative.

sideshowbob, Jul 18, 2003
  8. tones

Thanks for the correction, Ian! Hoisted by my own pedant! But then, every website needs one! Memory's going (or too lazy to check!).

tones, Jul 18, 2003
  9. tones

julian2002 Muper Soderator

derek and clive were in reality peter cook and dudley moore. i'm not sure of the genesis of the derek and clive characters but they were probably an offshoot of 'not only.. but also'.
    they did a few songs as was the trend in the 1960's for comedy however the only two that i can remember was the aforementioned bastardisation of the lords prayer and a song 'my old mans got cancer' to the tune of 'my old mans a dustman'. probably not really your cup of tea but their total charicaturing of the man on the streets attitude towards such things as sex, endangered spieces, religeon, death, etc. is still funny (to me) 30 years on and must have been a kick up the establishments rear in an age when the govornment was in crisis from a cabinet minister having a bit on the side.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 18, 2003
  10. tones

Aha, Pete and Duds, remember them, but never heard of their other selves. The only one of theirs I can remember is "Goodbye" with which they finished their shows - it actually became a big hit in the UK. I guess I must have known different men in the street (well, they were in a street in Belfast, so that may account for it).

tones, Jul 18, 2003
  11. tones

GrahamN

I once heard Pete (or was it Dud) talking about making Derek and Clive. They booked a studio for an hour, got as drunk as skunks and then went and were as crude as they could imaging for the hour. It came out hilariously funny (although I was wondering if there were any lines Tones could quote without more ****s than letters). I suspect this story may be about as accurate as most of Cooks though - since the Live album was a combination of a studio and a later live concert (both in 1973). From what I heard the two later albums ended up being even cruder but less funny.

My favourite bit of theirs though is Dud's spoof of Benjamin Britten - Little Miss Britten - sung as a painfully accurate impersonation of Peter Pears.

More in the line of Lehrer and Flanders and Swan are FASCINATING AIDA - a three 'girl' group founded by Dilly Keene. Any regular listeners of Ned Sherrin's "Loose Ends" about 10-15 years ago will be familiar with Keane and F.A., as they were the house singers for quite a while, and came up with wickedly topical ditties at a moments notice for the show (admittedly with variying success). Unfortunately they are about to retire, having been going (in a few incarnations) for about 20 years - so it's about time I actually got around to seeing them in the flesh before it's too late.

There're a few RealAudio clips available to hear them in action (each clip's about 500kB). Despite the cabaret backgound, and being women of a certain age, they're certainly no shrinking violets - witness their album titles ("Sweet F.A.", It, Wit, "Don't give a S**t girls" etc). There's a a take on health-fads "The jogging song" here and a wicked piss-take of Marlene Dietrich called "Lieder" here. They can also be quite political, such as "Radiating Love" here. I also heard a wonderful commentary on world politics and the Iraq war recently, and New Zealand's involvement in it (i.e. similar to Switzerland, but much less hawkish) but the lyrics haven't made it to the web yet.

Another comedy 'act' that really must be mentioned is Gerard Hoffnung - cartoonist, raconteur and anarchic tuba-player. Everyone must hear his appearance in front of the Oxford Union (4th Dec 1958), if for nothing else than to hear the "Bricklayer's Lament" delivered in his wonderful voice - oozing a lifetime of port, cigars and champagne, even though he was only 33 at the time. The other classic from this speech was the series of excepts from letters extolling the virtues of their establishments from foreign hoteliers, e.g. "we are not very good in bath, but are very good in bed", and "every room comes with a french widow, offering delightful prospects".

More in the vein of Spike Jones, but requiring a very good knowledge of the classical music repertoire, were the three concerts given in the Fetival Hall "The Hoffnung Music Festival" (1956), "The Hoffnung Interplanetary Music Festival" (1958), and "The Hoffnung Astronautical Music Festival" (1961). The anarchy is at it's most intense in "Concerto Poplare" - the orchestra starts with Tchaik 1, but the soloist in determined to play the Grieg. After a bit of a tussle with that, Beethoven 4 makes a brief appearance, before morphing into Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue - and Rach 2 and Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto also make significant appearances as the orch and piano fight it out. The battle continues to the end, with each desperate to have the last chord - classic. That's followed by Haydn's Surprise Symphony, played as I'm sure he would have intended, had he not been so polite. There's also a Chopin Mazurka delicately played with the filligree tones only produces by a quartet of Tubas, and the "1812" is given its full measure - by a the Dolmetsch (i.e. the manufacturer of the plastic things you probably played at school) ensemble - 4 recorders and continuo naturally, with additional toy drums and "batterie".

There's also Leonora Overture No 4 - with every Beethoven cliche played for all its worth, complete with off-stage and on-stage brass bands clearly asserting their rightful place in the proceedings at every opportunity. I don't think everything comes off, e.g. the pot-shots at the german serialists (I can't tell the difference from the real thing), and the "Let's fake an Opera" (crazy juxtapostions of bits of just about every opera from 19th cent) is funnier on paper than in practice - although the prospect of Brunnhilde's trusty stted Grane as a tricycle is an interesting thought.

One that does definitely succeed though is the "Metamorphses on a Bedtime Song" - five stanzas preceded by the ITV (then only recently on air) jingle introsucing the adverts. Somehow Bach's immortal cantata "Sleep sweeter, Bourn-vita" seems to have been lost in the mists of time, as has the following gem of a duet by Mozart.
    (Soprano) "In a shady grove on a Primus stove,
    We shall heat a cup of Bourn-vita"
    (Baritone) "On a fire-side rug, we shall share a mug,
    Of Bourn-vita, Of Bourn-vita-a-ah
    Bourn-vi-i-i-ee-ee-eeta"
    (Both) Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
    (S) We repeat...
    (B) We repeat...
    (S+B) We both think you cannot beat a
    Late night cup of sweet Bourn-vita
    We both think you cannot beat a
    Late night cup of sweet Bourn-vi-TA
    (B) Inexpensive central heater
    Inexpensive...
    (S) Bourn-vita..
    (B) Central heater...
    (S) ...vita-vita..
    (S+B) Yes, Bourn vi-ita
    (big finish) Bourn-vi-i-ta, Bourn-vi-ita, Bourn-VI-EEEE-TAA
    (Sop, stage laughter) Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha...!

They then continue with further recently discovered snippets by Verdi, Schoenberg (somehow omitted from Pierrot Lunaire) and Stravinsky.

The finale is Horrortorio - setting the wedding of Dracula's daughter to various bits of Bach, Mozart,
    Walton (to Belshazzar's picnic)
    (ten) For there were rack's and pinions,
    and half dead minions,
    Polluted soil
    Boiling Oil
    And fingers fried in several ways!
    (Chorus) WAYS!

then a joint effort by Handel and Richard Rogers (?)
    My heart is swelling, fellow fiends,
    It is the though that counts,
    The tins of dehydrated blood
    I'll treasure every ounce!
    Come tecs, come cops, come private eyes,
    to guard these priceless gifts
    Come Holmes and Watson to stand in eight hour shifts.

(Then after a bit of Elgar(?), we get some good old G&S)
    A wandring vampire I have been,
    But oh so foolish,
    To be a spinster ghoulish
    I will not do it more.
    (and, clearly no longer running the King's navy)
    When I was a lad I served a term
    Apprenticed to a Zombie firm
    I killed little orphans and their mothers-in-law
    And polished them off so carefullee
    That Dracula's daughter is in love with me!

(and then a bit more baroque recitative)
    But at the reception
    The guests became dreamier
    Some with perception
    Saw it was anaemia
    (Belshazzar? reappears)
    Is there a donor in the house?

(Finishing off, nine months later, with Irving Berlin?)
    Hushaby, hushabye, my darling
    I'm proud to call you my son,
    For you have, oh sweet creation,
    Two heads to Daddy's one

(which, funnily enough, takes us back to F.A.'s "Song of Genetic Mutation")

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2003
    GrahamN, Jul 20, 2003
  12. tones

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

seem to recall some comical opera we had in at work "kit and the widow"i thinks?any ideas anybody?

themadhippy, Jul 20, 2003
  13. tones

GrahamN

GrahamN, Jul 20, 2003
Ask a Question