Coming from to you from Firebird

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Dec 2, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've just downloaded Mozzila Firebird. So far it seems quite impressive. I will probably install this on my P233 laptop. Does anybody know if it uses less resources than I.E 5.5? I am guessing it will do.

Thanks

amazingtrade, Dec 2, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

auric FOSS

Not too sure about that but visit the forum and see what others say. I would also recomend that you look at the "preferential" extention with a view to loading it as you will then be able to tweak firebird until you get rsi!

Where to find info on extentions and other good things.

Where to pick peoples brains for other intresting things.

Auric:)

auric, Dec 2, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

Bit late to the party AT. Firebird has been recommended on here by myself, Sgt Rock and auric for quite some time now :)

As for all the extensions - I haven't found the need to use any of them yet but it's nice to know they are there.

So far there are only a handful of sites which either don't work at all or are severly crippled when using Firebird. Examples are:

eBay: cool HTML editor for editing your item description only works with IE. In Firebird you just get a boring text box where you have to enter native HTML yourself.

groups.msn.com: (obvious one really!) similar problem to above. Rich text editor window for new posts on threads is replaced by plain text window which doesn't even allow you to use native HTML if you know it.

Online banking with Barclays (here in Portugal): works in Firebird but alignment of data in, say, the "statement" view is all over the place and consequently unreadable.

British Airways online checkin: works in Firebird but you don't get the option to change your seat (which presumably uses some special IE feature or ActiveX control).

Many vBulletin forums: the text entry boxes for new posts are about 10 chars wide because Firebird now behaves like IE in this respect but as it "masquerades" as a version of Netscape it gets the settings that worked with Netscape.

www.dpreview.com (the best digital camera site on the net): the forum "menu" doesn't work very well. Instead of getting nice cascading menus you can only see one level at a time and have to click on an item to get the subitems.

...and many similar things. No showstoppers but irritating nevertheless. Hopefully, if Firebird starts to get a large percentage of the market people will start to write standards compliant HTML again :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 2, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

Sgt Rock

The latest nightly release has quite a nice download manager built in, a word of warning it is a nightly release.

Have a look at Mycroft.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2003
    Sgt Rock, Dec 2, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

batfink

Avant browser still gets my vote every time. Firebird lasted about a day (downloaded after all the recommendations) - it would crash my Celeron 400 laptop every time I tried to shut down. No such problems with Avant browser and it is the first time since time began(!!!) that I have been comfortable using anything other than IE (must be at least 2 months since I last used it!)

batfink, Dec 2, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

another Avant (and Firebird) user here. The former is a MUST with HFC as you can block Flash things. :)

Rory, Dec 2, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

Sgt Rock

Looks nothing more than IE tarted up to me :p

From the FAQ, make of this what you will :-

What is Avant Browser?

Avant Browser can be best described as a custom web browser application. Avant Browser is a standalone application designed to expand services provided by Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Sgt Rock, Dec 2, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

batfink

You're right, it does use the core of IE, but it does it well. Runs much faster than IE...IMHO

batfink, Dec 3, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

Zoomer

I been using firebird for ages now and probbaly one of the best browsers about imho.

Zoomer, Dec 4, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

auric FOSS

New Adblock

I have just downloaded the latest version of Adblock form the Extentions Room , it is far more flexiable than the last version and I recomend people to have a look at it.

Auric:)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7

auric, Dec 11, 2003
Ask a Question