Complete works of J.S. Bach for EUR120

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by tones, Oct 27, 2004.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

With grateful thanks to Horace over at Pink Fish!

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/indexengl.htm
    (Click 'Specials' and scroll down to 'The Complete Bach')

This is the Hänssler set. I know many of them well, as I have nearly all the Rilling cantatas. Hanssler interpretations won't be to everyone's taste (they mainly use modern instruments), but 179 CDs for EUR120 is hard to pass up, so I didn't! Anyone wanting to get to know one of the greatest masters will never have a better chance than this.

tones, Oct 27, 2004
  2. tones

titian

Hi Tones

I ordered it from another place for more or less the same price.
    It seems that the guys who issue this collection have been sued because they don't have the copyrights for all the works which are in this collection!
    I heard from people who bought the collection have received certain works double instead of all the works. Most of them had problems with one or two CDs so the set is still very worth!

titian, Oct 27, 2004
  3. tones

Thanks for that, Titian. Do you mean Hänssler didn't have the copyright in the recordings when it originally issued the collected works in 2000 (the 250th anniversary of Bach's death)? In any case, as you say, for that price, I can handle a few duplicates!

tones, Oct 27, 2004
  4. tones

titian

No Tones

Hänssler is sueing against illegal "Bach Edition".
    The Hänssler "Verlag" and the label hänssler classics are sueing Master Music.
    This company went against a copyright agreement concerning the Bach-edition. They therefore canceled the agreement and are sueing also any dealers who will sell this edition.
    I and a lot of people don't know how legal this is...
    But as long as you can get it:GET IT!!!

A guy who I know has on the "WTC-CD" the Partitas with Pinnock!
    Not a problem for him!!!

cheers

titian, Oct 27, 2004
  5. tones

The ones on the Zweitausendeins site seem to be the genuine Hänssler items. I guess I'll soon find out!

tones, Oct 27, 2004
  6. tones

pe-zulu

Dear Tones and Titian

Even if I have got many of the instrumentalCDs in the set earlier, I have ordered the complete set from JPC for that low price. I havent received it yet, but they havent written to me, that they cant send it, so I wait in great suspence. I too can certainly live with a few copies for that price.

Venlig hilsen

pe-zulu, Oct 27, 2004
  7. tones

titian

pe-zulu,
    Yes exactly like me! :D
    If you have noticed the offer on JPC is not anymore available so you can't order it any more. For those who already ordered it (like you and me) they didn't say they will not deliver. Strange is though, that we have to wait so long.

Tones:
    the friend who had those problems with doubles had bought it from zweitausendundeins and therefore I don't believe that those are original Hänssler. but anyway who cares? :)

titian, Oct 27, 2004
  8. tones

I'll let you know when I get it, Titian. But if it is Hänssler, judging by this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...75641/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/202-2342010-6087055

it's a real bargain.

P.S. On JPC, the price is somewhat higher...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/2955713/rk/classic/rsk/hitlist

At that price drop, it couldn't possibly be original Hänssler.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2004
    tones, Oct 27, 2004
  9. tones

titian

I just received today the box from JPC:
    I paid €112,06 plus 6,99 for delivery.
    Haven't heard any CDs: I still got a queue of 30 Jazz-CDs, about 30 Classical LPs and and and....

maybe end of next year I will be able to say something about these 172 CDs. By then Tones will certainly have reported a detailed analysis of each CD. :D

titian, Nov 2, 2004
  10. tones

simon48

I just got the full set of Bach CDs this morning - two days after ordering them for €119,99. It is the full Haenssler set; seems amazing value. Dipped my toe into the cantata's; first impressions are very positive.

Thanks for the tip - info on similar deals always welcome!

simon48, Nov 3, 2004
  11. tones

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

I'm glad I haven't €119,99 - attempting to listen to 179 Bach CDs would certainly finish me off.

bat, Nov 5, 2004
  12. tones

Not me! Mine arrived this morning and I'm on my way! Fortunately, I know the Rilling cantatas very well, so I can skip them (OK, so why am I playing BWV147 right now? Quality control!). By the way, I got the number wrong, it's 170 CDs, plus 2 data CDs. Aha, shoot me while I'm happy...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2004
    tones, Nov 6, 2004
  13. tones

Is the set still available? If I win € 5000000 in the lottery, this is too cheap - if I don't win, this is too expensive. In either case the set would be too good for me - what I really deserve is slow torture and death which seem to be on the way for me anyway.
    Don't spoil yourself with that set! Does it include the Hans Fagius organ stuff (the best ever)? Aargh - I want those records...

bat, Nov 6, 2004
  14. tones

BlueMax

There is also a Complete Works of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart on 170 CD's.

You can find detaled info about both collections and others at
    http://www.joanrecords.com/

There is seller at www.eBid.co.uk selling many of these at very good discounts.

BlueMax, Nov 6, 2004
  15. tones

I don't like Mozart at all, except his piano sonatas played by Glenn Gould

bat, Nov 6, 2004
  16. tones

BlueMax

Mozart was Jimmy Hendix of his time. Not easy to like ;)

BTW. that website has info on each and every CD in "The complete works of Johann Sebastian Bach on 160 CD's issued in 23 separate box-sets".

Don't sure if it the same collection that you are all talking about.

BlueMax, Nov 6, 2004
  17. tones

titian

you mean this offer?
    Not a good price. At Zweitausendundeins it is cheaper (€250). I wouldn't go for that edition. I bought a lot of Brilliant Classics CDs: Not very many are so good recorded as the DG, Decca and other major labels recordings of the latest years.
    At the moment I'm trying to complete the Mozart Edition from Philips on LPs. Nice stuff! On CDs I just got most of the Operas done by Harnoncourt (at the moment on specials at Zweitausendundeins).

titian, Nov 6, 2004
  18. tones

Don't know about the last bit, Max, but I wouldn't agree with the first bit. Wolfie was a bit of a boy, to be sure, but certainly no rebel within the system. Indeed, he spent most of his time trying to get into the system, to get permanent patronage, but never quite succeeded because his musical brilliance wasn't understood - the "too many notes, Mozart" comment of the Emperor in "Amadeus". He was 'way ahead of the game, but nobody was ready for it. He wasn't a Beethoven who could force it on people by sheer strength of personality, and in any case the time wasn't right for it. As a result, he ended up in a pauper's grave, the location of which is unknown, whereas Beethoven ended up in the honoured Plot 32A of Vienna's Zentralfriedhof. Still, at least Wolfie lies undisturbed, whereas Ludwig has been disturbed several times so that (and you'll love this, given your pending thread on HFC) they can try to find out what was wrong with his hearing!

tones, Nov 7, 2004
  19. tones

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Funny: I listened to one last night. A friend brought it for me to listen. Well, I found it overdone, as usual. It is not played jestingly; but there is so much emotion that I felt a little embarrassed. The moaning couldn't be more disturbing, because it is totally out of tune, his voice is horrible and with all the cuts it seems intermitent... Well, those were the sixties...

Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 7, 2004
  20. tones

Philip King Enlightened User

Man thats some site! Just had a look round and my provisional basket contains over 300 Euros worth of CD's. Are these guys OK to use and are the Decca and DGG recordings of the same usual high quality?

Philip King, Nov 7, 2004
Ask a Question