Complete works of J.S. Bach for EUR120

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by tones, Oct 27, 2004.

1. tones

BlueMax

Many thanks Tones, Titian and others for the link and your comments/advice.

I have bought big collections in the past but found that I rarely listen to all of the CDs/LPs. Some never!
    If I hand pick a CD or two, I listen to then many times and start enjoying them more and more.

http://www.zweitausendeins.de certainly has some quality recordings at good prices and well worth a visit.

BlueMax, Nov 7, 2004
  2. tones

titian

I bought hundreds of CDs from Zweitausendandeins.de and got the stuff very quickly and with an amazing low cost delivery (at least for Switzerland). The stuff they sell is not second quality. What I mean is that the same CD won't sound better buying it from another shop. The cheap labels are not as good as the best Decca's DGs and so on.
    The specials they have (Verve, Operas conducted by Harnoncourt) are not due to a less quality!
    PK if you send me a list of the CDs you are interested in buying I might be able to tell which aren't so well recorded.

BM ("rarely listen to all CDs in a large collection-boxes")
    I bought lately so many CDs, that till mid next year I have enough to hear. I'm not going to buy CDs or LPs for a few month (hopefully for a year) in order to listen to them all. I've got though a strong will to listen to them all. I just finished with the 50 Jazz-CDs (Verve) which I bought a month or two ago. Meanwhile I still have another 25 :rolleyes: , 60 Jazz-LPs (from zweitausendundeins), the Bach edition, about 20 CDs of Harnoncourt (Mozart)and ....
    ..without mentioning the stuff I bought last year and not heard up to today.

titian, Nov 7, 2004
  3. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Currently half-way through the B Minor Mass. Not the best I've heard (that's Gardiner), but a good workmanlike performance.

Another advantage of this set - it saves huge amounts of space! The boxes take 4 CDs each on swinging holders, and the complete Rilling cantatas now occupy less than one-half of the space previously occupied by my previous incomplete Rilling set. I shall now try to defy Parkinson's law, at least for a while.

Titian, have you thought of evicting Rita's parents and using their house as record storage?

tones, Nov 7, 2004
  4. tones

Philip King Enlightened User

thanks Titian thats a really helpful answer, I shall order with confidence, providing they ship to Sweden as they didn't have it on their list of countries, an oversight I'm sure.

Anybody know if a comprehensive box set of Requiems is available?

Philip King, Nov 7, 2004
  5. tones

titian

Not yet, Tones, next is the guest room (already 100LPs in there). :rolleyes:
    No, no, no... no moe LPs, no more Cds, no more hardware...just enjoy the music I have.
    Amen

titian, Nov 7, 2004
  6. tones

tones compulsive cantater

You don't seriously expect me to believe that, do you?

(Currently sampling the Goldbergs - Pe-Zulu wouldn't approve because it's on piano. But why do they need two CDs for it when everyone else I know only needs one? Anyway, it's not bad. Not as nice as Murray Perahia's and recorded in a rather too live acoustic, but not bad.)

tones, Nov 7, 2004
  7. tones

pe-zulu

Dear Tones

He,he, The Goldbergs will take ca. 90 minutes on harpsichord as well on piano (or organ), if you want to do all the repeats, and dont want to play in an exaggerated fast tempo, so the 2 CDs.

On the other hand, if you omit some of the repeats (and this is difficult, without distorting the proportions of the work) you may only need 80 or 70 minutes.

But you can omit all the repeats (at least a consequent, if not musically satisfying decision) and make do with 45 minutes.

The Hänssler Goldberg-pianist (I do not remember his name - once I owned a horrible Kunst der Fuge from his hands, which
    G Kurtag said was desert island stuff) is said to do a nice job, as well as his Inventions are listenable, so dont lose heart yet.

Venlig hilsen

pe-zulu, Nov 7, 2004
  8. tones

titian

90 minutes are passed by now and no sign of Tones..
    I think the Goldbergs ain't done him well....

titian, Nov 9, 2004
Ask a Question