Contract phone - was this a good deal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 1, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I was in the shop an hour and I got bogged down with all in the end.

Anyway I got a Sony W850i (£300 on PAYG) 1000 minutes and 500 texts for £35 a month. It is an 18 months contract and they gave me

The phone is very fancy.

amazingtrade, Nov 1, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

I only use a pay as you go ohone as I try to make all of my calls from work... ;)

but will you use up the 1000 minutes and 500 texts per month..?

I know I wouldn't...

mr cat, Nov 1, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

PS Sorry about the title, it should say "contract phone - was this a good deal" :D

I now have three mobile phones, two business and one person, so I make an awful lot of calls, the idea is I set this one to withheld and make all outgoing calls when I am away from that. So I could easily use up about 700-800 minutes. As for texting when you have a girlfriend 10 messages a day is frighteningly easy to clock up and that is not going over the top (I hate texting).

I was spending £60 a month on PASYG.

4. amazingtrade

then I guess it's a good deal - assuming tho that they don't pay crazy charges when you do go over the theshold...

mr cat, Nov 1, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I wouldn't pay 35 a month on any phone. Logic dictates you need to work out what you are going to use your phone for. I am willing to be that for business you might want bluetooth to update your contacts and perhaps a diary sync. Other than that you want it to stay on for a long time and have good reception.

The rest of it is just bollocks and a way to get someone who already owns two contracts to have a another one.

garyi, Nov 1, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

My other phones are PAY AS YOU GO :) My VOQ Phone has all the contacts etc and recieves all incoming calls when I am out, the idea is that I will use my personal phone to make outgoing calls.

I have worked out that I sent between 300-400 texts a month and spent about £10 on calls. So my idea is that all these phones should only cost me £35 a month, instead of the stupid amounts I was paying on various top ups.

I use my phone for the walkman feature a lot, it has 1GB which is plenty and it sounds good with my Senny PX100s. The camera is also extremely handy because I can't always carry my proper camera with me its too bulky.

My business phone is the functional one, that even has a qwerty keypad :D

7. amazingtrade

andyoz

Dude, why have you got TWO business mobiles, have I missed something here :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2006
    andyoz, Nov 1, 2006
  8. amazingtrade

I must admit from a small business single man perspective I fail to see the point of two phones. Presumably he will ditch the other phone now he is spending out a minimum of £35 a month.

I know I am tight but I just will not pay that much its disgusting. My contract is £11 a month and I begrudge that as well!

garyi, Nov 1, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

Its simple, very simple when I am out drinking at 1:00am I do not want my customers phoning me, in fact I don't want anything at all to do with my business.

Having two phones is the only way to separate that. My third phone is for my new business venture. I need to keep them separate.

10. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Try having one phone and leaving it at home when you go on the piss.
    Anyway you international jet setting bond dealer what's wrong with a landline?

Bob McC, Nov 1, 2006
  11. amazingtrade

hifikrazy

I personally wouldnt ever get an 18 month contract again. It ties you in too long to the plan, and most importantly of all the phones come with a 12 month warranty, which means you're screwed if it goes wrong in that 6 months (my W800i just started showing signs of the infamous joystick issue less than a week outside the warranty - f****** typical). Just my 2 penneth. However that aside the minutes and texts isnt bad at all for the money :)

Oh yeh and I would consider looking into twin sim holders for one of the phones so you dont have to carry so much around. Still have 2 numbers/sim cards, but use one phone. I also carry a spare battery in my wallet as its so slimline and has saved me a couple of times.

hifikrazy, Nov 1, 2006
  12. amazingtrade

I do have a land line but I am away from home so many times as I am mobile.

13. amazingtrade

Admit it AT you liked the look of a fancy phone with bells and whistles so got it.

You now have 3 phones.

garyi, Nov 1, 2006
  14. amazingtrade

andyoz

Fair enough, that makes sense. I'm currently running two business phones as I'm closing out some jobs from my old employer so have kept their phone.

It's doing my head in already so christ knows how you handle THREE of the frigging things.

andyoz, Nov 1, 2006
  15. amazingtrade

Also I run a technology company remember, so its nice to have the latest phones with all the gizmos. It shows that you keep up with fashion.

The other thing is it should help my credit history as its the first time I have ever had any credit.

amazingtrade, Nov 2, 2006
  16. amazingtrade

auric FOSS

Does your girlfriend have all of your mobile phone numbers:D

auric, Nov 2, 2006
  17. amazingtrade

Indeed she does:D Although I have told her to only contact me on my personal phone from now on.

18. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

A lovely little phone eh?

Had mine a few weeks now and love it. The bells and whistles attracted me.

The best contract I could find with the 850 was with 3. £30 a MOnth. 750min's anytime/any network min's. (1500 for 1st 6 MOnths) and 150 texts (300 for 1st 6 MOnths). came with the 1GB card and speakers. Also £30 cash back for myself and a friend.

Are your min's anytime?
    Is the £35 a MOnth set for the full contract? Or will it go up after 6 MOnths or so. Or will the min's/texts be reduced?

Hope you read the small print mate.

Also, I found 3's out of allowence rates to be very good too.

I've kept my old phone with it's o2 online payg sim for back up. If you're a heavy texter and want to stick to payg it's a good deal. As long as you top up £10 a MOnth you get 300 free texts.

MO!, Nov 2, 2006
  19. amazingtrade

I got a payg nokia from fleabay for 11 quid - 19 quid in total with postage and it's got a colour screen!

mr cat, Nov 2, 2006
  20. amazingtrade

Not read all the small print yet, but I have 14 days to cancel so I will before the 14 days is up. If I find anything they didn't tell me I am canceling it.

Since this new law came in I think the vultures (i.e salesmen) have cleaned up a bit. And yes the minutes are any time. What I am worrying about now is accidental GPRS usage.

Ask a Question