Croft Vitale preamp/Valve preamp Q's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ali_x, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ali_x

ali_x

Does anyone have any experience with the croft vitale premp & know how it rates?.

& does anyone know how the more expensive croft preamp models compare (including the newer looking vita)?.

Im also considering the Icon Audio LA4 & Eastern Electric Minimax, but have'nt auditioned anything as I have'nt got the money to buy them new right now.

Having listened to my friends new Shanling valve based cd player & heard the positive effect it has had on his system, im liking the idea of a valve based preamp (had bought up the passive/ active debate previously on the forum).

ali_x, Aug 20, 2006
  2. ali_x

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Ali_x,

The Croft Vitale is a good pre amp. It retailed for under £400. It has a very good phono stage. It offers good overall sound quality. It hasn't got the last degree in detail and resolution. It loses out in the bass, it not as tight or as defined as some. But the overall sound quality gives good reproduction and leads to enjoyable sounds.

It's not made anymore as Croft have updated their pre amp range. They do go for around £250 to £325. It dosen't have the build quality of other pieces of kit but well worth a look. You can beat it but usually it will cost more money.

I had one a few years ago as part of may collection. One thing I didn't like was the separate left / right volume controls. A pain.

What was the system you heard with the Shanling cd player? There may be other factors that made the system sound good.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 21, 2006
  3. ali_x

Tenson Moderator

Check out www.cattylink.com if Snowy still works there doing international sales, you can trust him to take care of you (especially if you mention me ;) ).

Tenson, Aug 21, 2006
  4. ali_x

ali_x

I know im posting this a little bit late...

Audiovector Si 6 Signature Speakers
    Shanling? (cd player)
    Edge G1 AC Preamp
    Roksan Caspian Amp

Also JAV silver reference speaker cables/interconnects, which are excellent and which im using also (available on e bay from a top bloke named Jay!).:MILD:

ali_x, Aug 29, 2006
  5. ali_x

ali_x

The Audiovector speakers had sounded a little bright before the Shanling was introduced to his set up.

My speakers (Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic's) don't suffer from the same brightness problem.

Im still interested in valve pre's...:cowboy:

ali_x, Aug 29, 2006
Ask a Question