Cyrus CD7/Naim CD5

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Nogbadthebad, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Nogbadthebad

Nogbadthebad

Having just spent nearly £2000 on Naim amplification (am I crazy) my thoughts are now turning to CD players and maybe I need a break from Naim.
    Anyone have any opinions on these two babies?

Nogbadthebad, Jan 22, 2004
  2. Nogbadthebad

greg Its a G thing

I did give the Cyrus CD7 plenty a listen partly due to its price point, partly because the dealer was a big fan and partly because I have a Cyrus 7 amp. It did/does represent decent value - especially used. Its lively and works well with its partner Cyrus amp.

Did it grab me? I liked it but it just didnt grab me (though I didnt demo one with a PSX-R attached or a CD7 Q).

Is it worth a listen? Yes definitely even just to rule it out.

From what I have heard the CD8 is considerably better.

Just in case you want a CD7:
    eBay: Black CD7 Q less than 2 years old
    (Note this guy is selling in order to buy a CD8.)

greg, Jan 22, 2004
  3. Nogbadthebad

Sgt Rock

You could try asking here for info on Cyrus.

Sgt Rock, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Nogbadthebad

Bubblechild

FWIW I auditioned a CD8 a coupla weeks ago, and was half-expecting to be going home with it when I walked into the store.

I tried it with and without PSX, versus an Arcam FMJ 33, Linn Genki and a second hand Naim CDX. Used my system (olive Naim and Epos) to play them with.

For me, the Genki was wiped out immediately - detailed and refined but dull as dishwater.

The Arcam was possibly the 'best' player of the four. Amazingly detailed with big bass. Good display, too. But it left me a little cold.

The Naim was perhaps flawed, but it had soul. Very forward and detailed midrange, great soundstage (which surprised me) and it had that certain something about it that I liked. 'Musicality', Salisbury will claim.

The Cyrus felt like it was mid-way between the Arcam and the Naim - but it didn't do the detail retreival or the musical flow as well as either. Adding the PSX (which took a while to warm up) made a fairly large difference - improved the dynamics and soundstage - but oddly enough I think I preferred the CD8 without it. Some of the coherence was missing for me.

I think the solid feel of the Naim had a part to play too. The Cyrus wasn't badly built, but something about spending that sort of money on a machine with a wobbly drawer that looked just a little like it should be in the boot of an XR2 put me off a bit.

I left with the Naim, and haven't regretted it.

But don't buy blind, go try the CD5 - I'd be interested to hear what it's like.

Bubblechild, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Nogbadthebad

greg Its a G thing

Yep I feel the same way. I don't like the Cyrus styling - never did. I also find it irritating that the component choices in CD8 are effectively limited to one extent or another by the dimensions of the casing - just to keep the "concept" of the half width, shoebox.

greg, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Nogbadthebad

Gambit Junior Vice President

Speaking as a CD8 owner, I love it and the upgrade path is huge. PSX on, DAC X coming out in summer (PSX'able) means you can potentially go to a £2,700 player (whether it performs to that standard I dunno, the DAC X isn't out yet). A few very cheap tweaks can really make it shine - I've got it on two 10mm MDF boards separated by 4 blocks of sorbothane, tightened the bass and soundstage up no end (and I do mean no end), a half decent power cable (merlin/euphen) and, a bit of a secret pleasure, a SID make it really shine to me.

Gambit, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Nogbadthebad

Bubblechild

Yeah, I guess I chose the Naim because I was hoping to stop wanting to upgrade my hi fi all the time.

Of course you can add the XPS power supply onto the CDX...for about a grand s/h, if you look hard...hmm...

Wicked web site, BTW

Bubblechild, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Nogbadthebad

greg Its a G thing

a SID?

Trogdor is superb!

greg, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Nogbadthebad

Gambit Junior Vice President

A S.I.D.

Trogdor burninates :D

At the end, click the back icon to get the full list of Strong Bad's E-mails. There's about 96 now, plenty to be playing with and all fantastic :D

Gambit, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Nogbadthebad

rodrat

I would agree with bubblechild in so far as not getting a Genki if you are using naim amps. They do not work with Naim. However, I would not rule one out one with different amplification. I have one and it sounded really bright with my 102/hi/250. However, I would disagree with the 'dull' comment. I am now using Bryston amps and it really works well. There are quite a few players in the £1000ish price bracket some of which have been mentioned. I would not rule out any on the basis of personal preferences. To me the genki is excellent, to others it is crap.

Rod

rodrat, Jan 22, 2004
Ask a Question