dab radio best buy for kitchen?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Apr 1, 2006.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

preferably with battery option ..

am off to buy one of these today. recommendations please ...

ditton, Apr 1, 2006
  2. ditton

greg Its a G thing

Oddly I've heard decent things about the Morphy Richards thing. Has Sky+ type features so you can schedule recording shows etc, pause live radio etc. From what I've read it's supposed to be pretty good. Not sure about audio quality.

greg, Apr 1, 2006
  3. ditton

ditton happy old soul

Thanks. but just searched and found "The two stereo speakers don't do justice to the quality of DAB digital radio transmissions. Side by side with the Pure Digital Evoke II, there's no contest. The Ordio sounds like Terry Wogan is broadcasting live from the Millennium Dome. Even Sharp's smaller FV-DB1E – a much nicer looking kitchen radio – produces a clearer sound field.
    We like the rewind function of the Ordio 27016 – not enough DAB radios fit this function as standard – but its poor design, bad build quality and worse sound output leave it struggling to hold on to the number 10 position for DAB radios in our Buyer's Guide."

ditton, Apr 1, 2006
  4. ditton

ditton happy old soul

OK, must go off to the shops now, armed only with reviews from non-zerogainers, sigh. wfiw, the Pure range seems to get best reviews, especially the original Evoke 1 and the new Evoke 1xt (but mains and mono only), with Evoke 3 being the do-it-all star at £200 (swoon), closely followed by the Evoke 2xt at £150, with the Elan being the budget/mid best buy at £70ish.

ditton, Apr 1, 2006
  5. ditton

ditton happy old soul

just to report in on this busy thread ....

I bought the Teac R3, the white model:

http://www.radio-now.co.uk/teac_r_3_dab_digital_radio.htm

persuaded by the inbuilt re-chargeable battery, and that altho mono speaker it supports stereo headphones. No digital out tho' but at the price seemed best buy.

NOt yet heard the quality of the sound as I have to wrap it up as prezzie. If there is any interest here, I'll post on that later ...

ditton, Apr 1, 2006
  6. ditton

ditton happy old soul

well, just to say that the Teac went down well as a prezzie - was viewed as good looking and a good size, and simple to operate - I think she was talking about the radio ;-)

not wholly convinced of sound quality but am not voicing thought about that out loud - mind you, its the first experience I have of DAB.

Only five presets for the FM and five for the DAB - or perhaps 10, I'm not sure yet. But that adds to the 'simple to use' feel. its easy to jog to other stations.

The major bonus is the built in rechargeable battery, which gives it its weight, as dab drains power more than FM, and so it really is portable, or luggable. It has stereo headphone and mono speaker, with an Aux feed to take MP3 player and the like.

It lacks digital out, and has none of the pause/store/re-listen facilities that some others now offer.

It has clock, sourced from digital signal, and could be used as alarm clock/radio.

If I take to dab, then next up will be upgrade to ageing clock/radio in bedroom. Might then go for a mains only type which would give wider choice, bringing the Tivoli range into consideration. I had a look at the Pure Evoke 2xt and the Evoke 3 when out shopping yesterday. All the bells & whistles there and maybe nearest to hifi, so I might indulge but we'll wait and listen first. Both are quite sizeable and the re-charge battery an extra £30, or else expensive consumption of a 6-pack, so they were not sensible buys this time around.

ditton, Apr 2, 2006
  7. ditton

hifienthusiast

Talking about digital radio, I am very interested in the Acoustic Energy Wi Fi radio. I can listen to radio stations from all over the world in real time via a wireless internet link to my router. However, the £200 price is a bit high. I use a laptop daily using wireless access which I can listen to digital broadcast, although i guess the sound quality is not as good as the Acoustic Energy.

hifienthusiast, Apr 2, 2006
  8. ditton

AlexTaylor

I love the sound of My Tivoli DAB

AlexTaylor, Apr 2, 2006
  9. ditton

ditton happy old soul

Interesting, didn't know of this. Gets a good review here:
    http://www.radio-now.co.uk/acoustic_energy_wifi_radio.htm

but mixed here:

http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/entertainment/radio/acoustic_energy_wi-fi_internet_digital_radio

looks as though the underlying technology is good
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7588734311.html
    but perhaps the next version might be worth looking out for.
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/march2006/ae_internet_radio.htm

But, on reflection, ~I'm pleased I wsn't tempted to stray from the main mission, which was to buy an easy-to-use, (re-charge) battery-assisted portable dab box for my loved one.

Alex, I have a Tivoli next to the computer, but they are mains-only.

ditton, Apr 2, 2006
  10. ditton

AlexTaylor

aah.

AlexTaylor, Apr 2, 2006
Ask a Question