DAC modifications

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by elaar, Apr 4, 2006.

1. elaar

anon_bb Honey Badger

Try ad843/847/8065.

anon_bb, Apr 10, 2006
  2. elaar

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Leo,

From all of the forums I've read Only PFM seems too offer a truly open info site. AA is still full of wannabe's IMO

wadia-miester, Apr 10, 2006
  3. elaar

zanash

I agree .....

I've loads of pics but seem to come up on my limit everytime I try to post one.

Another aspect of course is if everyone new how easy it is .....would they then pay a premium for someone else to do the work?

This of course assumes a level of competance and a knowledge of electronics.

Having been financially challenged ...always, it really didn't take me that long to learn a great deal about audio, curcuits, soldering etc. As I said before, modding when carried out by an individual is a suck it and see activity...if you don't like the results just swap back, nothing is writen in stone.

There is no "Audiofoolery ...quoting mosfet" involved as he would like you to believe. Just because someone has an inability to hear a difference does not nessesarily mean the it doesn't exist ..all it means is that they can't hear it.... for what ever reason. But to then stuff their "inability to hear" down other peoples throats, as fact........... is at best a little annoying at worst makes them look the complete fool.

It's regretable that when efforts are made "sage old coots" still refuses all offers, so they can at least try and hear what other's have. It leads you to suspect that their refusal is because they are actually affraid of what they might hear ?

Then they have the gall to coming back and denigrating, in particular my efforts to help others.

I urge the reader to take with "a pinch of salt" anything that the "sage old coot" says .....in fact you need to use your judgment on what anyone says [that of course includes my advice and comments too].

zanash, Apr 10, 2006
  4. elaar

mosfet

This is getting rather off-topic zanash and I feel no need whatsoever to reply to your sniping. It's not worth my time. My contribution to this thread was to post comments verbatim from the designer of the DacMagic, John Westlake. Quite how this is “denigrating†is for you and your muddled-up thinking only to know.

mosfet, Apr 10, 2006
  5. elaar

leo

Come on boys lets not argue:)

Tone,
    I do like to have a look at others work, guess I'm just sad:D its nice to be able to have discussions about this stuff too

Anyway I do sometimes go on PF but its mainly all Naim which I have no interest in to be honest although currently trying out the Flea XO in an old Arcam A5 I'm playing about with.
    Diyaudio.com isn't too bad but often the threads end up in arguments;)
    Diyhifi.org is a good one
    I've not been on AA for years, never liked that site at all

Back on topic a service manual for the Dacmagic would be a help, never owned or been inside one of these units so can't really comment on it yet

leo, Apr 10, 2006
  6. elaar

julian2002 Muper Soderator

julian2002, Apr 10, 2006
  7. elaar

zanash

My sniping ..... ??????????

I suggest you go back read the thread again and your comments.
    Let me see, .....errrrr who made the first disparaging comment ?

...oh yes it was you ....again.

Service manual for the dacmagic series....

I contacted cambridge about 10 years ago but was told that they were not available to the general public...but I suppose if you have a bussiness linked to hifi repair theres no reason why they should turn down your request. You just need a tame dealer !

ad843/847/8065.

Good choices ....though they are very expensive, but like everything you tend to get what you pay for.

Mosfet, lets have a few sage comments from the knowledgable old bird as Wm called you ....

So what are your recomendation for this unit ?

here's few ideas for you comment on

1 Would you advocate the use of better cables ?

2 In your opinion does the pulse transformer smooth the digi trace ?

3 How about case damping...would you go for dynamat or bitumien?

4 Does the captive mains lead limit current flow to the unit ?

5 Would it be a good idea to swap the old tants ?

6 Which sort of dil socket do you suggest will sound best.?

7 Are the cheap resistors worth swapping for Rc55's?

8 Does the introduction of schottky diodes reduce the noise floor or just change the flavour of the noise ?

9 Increasing the number of caps but maintaining the overal capacitance ? what are your views on Mr Nalty's suggestions

10 Do you agree with Les wolstenhomes methodology and suggestions regarding digital media ? and how would you impiment them in this case?

11 What support structure would you advocate for the dac would you suggest, sorbthane feet, spikes or somthing else ?

12 Would you change the voltage regulators for quiter ones ?

13 Will better quality socketry make any difference to the sound quality?

14 Will a buffered digital cable offer any advantage over the normal coax.

15 Would you recomend the use of the optical input over the coax input ?

just a few suggestion for you to enlighten our ignorance.

We wait with baited breath for your prognostications and sage advice.

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
  8. elaar

Very basic points Pete, when do you get to the critical bits?

wadia-miester, Apr 11, 2006
  9. elaar

zanash

Its been ten years since I played with the dacmagic....I don't have it any more. The suggestions are for Mosfet to comment on....... as he finds my post so foolish.

But as you've now commented, perhaps you can carry the batton a bit further and offer some advice that will put to shame my elementary component swapping.

Though as stated else where my philosophy is to employ better parts rather than wholesale curcuit changes as the designer obviously had a reason for the approach he took.

The second reason is that most people who buy gear, do so as they liked the sound. Wholesale curcuit changes can and do improve the sound but may remove the original sonic signature of the unit turning it into box that is same in looks only.

As I say feel free to contribute, you obviously have something in mind ?

I'm certain the original poster will be very interested in your views in how he get a vastly improved sound from his Dac.

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
  10. elaar

mosfet

1 Would you advocate the use of better cables ?

Define “better†in objective terms with evidence that demonstrates a qualitative and audible improvement of some sort.

2 In your opinion does the pulse transformer smooth the digi trace ?

What pulse transformer and what trace? Too vague.

3 How about case damping...would you go for dynamat or bitumien?

Neither. Unless I'd first established piezoelectric effect was of real consequence to the piece of equipment in question.

4 Does the captive mains lead limit current flow to the unit ?

Any conductor will reduce current flow. It's a bit of a daft question. Obviously yes, but representative of two thirds of bugger all.

5 Would it be a good idea to swap the old tants ?

What for? Have you considered self-resonant and parasitic effects? Or are just relying on Internet wisdoms?

6 Which sort of dil socket do you suggest will sound best

DIL sockets don't have a sound. Neither do bananas (the fruit).

7 Are the cheap resistors worth swapping for Rc55's?

Yes.

8 Does the introduction of schottky diodes reduce the noise floor or just change the flavour of the noise ?

Without taking measurements of the specific modification it's not possible to say. I'm assuming you have so could you show me these?

9 Increasing the number of caps but maintaining the overal capacitance ?

If this increases overall ripple current capacity, yes. Give me a worked example perhaps of what you were thinking of?

Q's 10 to 15 much the same.

mosfet, Apr 11, 2006
  11. elaar

zanash

very informative.... thank you

I expect the owner of the dacmagic 3 will be able to go away and impliment all your suggestions.

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
  12. elaar

mosfet

zanash, you should hold yourself responsible for screwing up this thread.

The original question asked about modifications to a DacMagic DAC.

I posted comments from the designer of the DacMagic that are clearly pertinent to this question. I did not comment on anything you had previously posted.

You then took it upon yourself to describe such comments as being “anything of a positive nature to impartâ€Â.

It's all there in black and white (or rather black and shades of grey). I did attempt to point out this thread was getting rather off-topic but you wouldn't let it lie. Would you.

mosfet, Apr 11, 2006
  13. elaar

zanash

brizonbiovizier
    elaar
    grif
    julian2002

The above have all made positve contributions to this thread [I'll not include myself in that.]

Mosfet contributions

"Reading your audiophool nutbar-isms always keeps me amused zanash." quote

"This is getting rather off-topic zanash and I feel no need whatsoever to reply to your sniping" quote

"The original question asked about modifications to a DacMagic DAC." Quote ..... what have you been reading ? actual it was mods to a dacmagic 3 and the list of 15 items ....I did them all and more to my Dacmagic3.

Your reply, post number 30.....

Well..... I can see Elaar off to Maplin's with a list of components that you've kindly supplied !

When he get back he can impliment your sage and considered DIY suggestions for the DACMAGIC3....LOL

This is the DIY forum ......I see very little DIY help coming from your posts, or do you think it means you have to do it for yourself with no help from others ?

grif said

"Well...having read mosfet's post I wondered if I should bother."

In away he has it right ....you've sapped all the goodness from the thread turned it into Sh*t.

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
  14. elaar

Pete,

Perhaps a nice cup of coco and some warm slippers would help end the day on a more positive note.
    Though I would never use schottky far too noisy for any serious mods surely???? and all that reverse voltage nahh really :eek:

wadia-miester, Apr 11, 2006
  15. elaar

leo

Ok, well some more info on this units innards and layout would help but it looks like we are going to be struggling for the manual.

So the TDA1315 input reciever is poor,I've never used it but would a simple diy Asychronous reclocker on the dacs i2s input help any?

Instead of filling this unit with Oscons as suggested in that Article how about the Rubycon ZL's instead and using Oscons just around the input reciever the digital supply pins of the dac and use ZA's on its analogue supply maybe add super regs?

I also would not stick a big coupling polypropylene cap for the spdif, wouldn't that be too inductive?
    I use a Newava S22083 1:1 pulse transformer in my dac, a decent cap should be ok but I don't think using a physically oversized film cap would be any good

I'm also not a great fan of schottkies, If I do use any, the type I usually use are BAT49

Anybody know the output stage in these units? Its a shame the filter,I/V section etc is built into the chip:(
    Not much help I'm afraid but it would be better to have some more details before being able to advise much

leo, Apr 11, 2006
  16. elaar

hifikrazy

The main thing is to try things for yourself. A lot of tweaks are personal in nature. But there are plenty more simple ones that are not. Removing the power supply from the same enclosure as the dac for example can only be a good thing. Shielding with copper also is well worth it (must be grounded obviously). MUR860 diodes might be worth a try in the digital supplies.

hifikrazy, Apr 11, 2006
  17. elaar

felix part-time Horta

Maybe, but it's not bad at all. The TDA1305 responds very well to low-noise, low-impedance supplies to its 'analogue' pins - and that includes the VREF of pin 26. have a look at items 4 & 5 here and see if some of it can be usefully tried on the Dacmagic.

felix, Apr 11, 2006
  18. elaar

leo

I'm sure theres more than a few things he can try out from there!
    I think my friends Pink Triangle dac used the TDA1305, that didn't sound too bad
    Nice site BTW:)

leo, Apr 11, 2006
  19. elaar

zanash

Seems ashame that certain other poster have seen fit not to share the knowledge and expertise.....after all thats was said.

Still I suppose thats no great suprise ......

I heard great things from the pink triangle dac's back when the Bolton show was popular. Some interesting battery power supplies that seemed ahead of there time now.

zanash, Apr 12, 2006
  20. elaar

anon_bb Honey Badger

The dac and filter design were even more interesting.

anon_bb, Apr 12, 2006
Ask a Question