DACs again

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Apr 24, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've seen a DAMAGIC 2 going for £16 with five days to go which is in none working order so I reckon I could easily get £60 for my DAGMAGIC 1.

If I was to sell it what DACs are quite a bit better for the £100 mark new or secondhand? I would like the same amount of detail but somthing a little more smooth not quite as bright.

amazingtrade, Apr 24, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

Will The Lucky One

£100 s/h *might* get you an M-Audio Superdac (I think thats around what Isaac payed for his, though his was missing the power supply, but the standard power brick certainly isn't an expensive item that would be hard to replace so I can't see it being massively cheaper due to the lack of a PSU). One drawback of this DAC is that it needs modding (changing jack plugs for RCA) but it doesn't appear a very complex job.

A quick search of the forums will reveal more about this, I have one myself and it is very good, a definite step up from the DAC in my cd player (marantz cd-4000), but truth be told I haven't listened to any other DACs or cd players in this system to compare with (w-m and Isaac should be able to comment more though).

:)

Will, Apr 24, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Indeed I paid £100 for the superdac, but I've spent more than that on modifications (for significant improvements).

Other ones to look out for around £100 are the Audio Alchemy DDE models, although AA went bust so spares and repair could be an issue unless you're prepared to do it yourself.

I-S, Apr 24, 2004
Ask a Question