Dead Can Dance & This Mortal Coil

Discussion in 'General Music' started by thespirit3, Jul 29, 2004.

1. thespirit3

thespirit3

I've just ordered "Dead Can Dance - Dead Can Dance" and "This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears" from amazon. Two albums I used to love, but haven't listened to in years.

Just thought I'd mention them - as they're both amazing albums. If you haven't heard either DCD or This Mortal Coil in the past ... do yourself a favour and buy some albums - the above two being a good start :)

Steve

thespirit3, Jul 29, 2004
  2. thespirit3

julian2002 Muper Soderator

dead can dance are fantastic. not heard this mortal coil. are they similar (if you can call anything similar to dcd)?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 29, 2004
  3. thespirit3

thespirit3

Yes, in a way, similar. The first DCD album and It'll End in Tears by This Mortal Coil are similar in many ways. Both are absolutely outstanding albums... and both are beautiful and yet haunting.

If you're a fan of any DCD material, I can highly recommend checking out the above This Mortal Coil album. Check the customer reviews on Amazon (I recently saw comments on the amazon.co.uk) - and I'm sure any doubts you have will quickly be cleared up.

The other TMC albums are meant to be equally outstanding - but I've not heard any, and am trying to stagger my amazon purchases. I've spent way too much there in the past few months!!!

But yes, buy buy buy ... you certainly won't be disappointed.

Also - you may have heard of Lisa Gerrard before - she was involved with the first TMC album (it'll end it tears) - and is a renowned artist in her own right. Also well worth checking up on her solo material and other projects.

I believe DCD and TMC are both on the 4AD label (along with Cocteau Twins) - and hence to some extent share similar roots.

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
    thespirit3, Jul 29, 2004
  4. thespirit3

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Jul 29, 2004
  5. thespirit3

thespirit3

Well, I seem to have completely missed out the whole Cocteau Twins thing. Their name keeps cropping up, I know they had involvement with This Mortal Coil too ... so they're one of those bands I keep meaning to check out, but never seem to get around to.

Yet more to add to my Amazon wishlist ... !

Steve

thespirit3, Jul 29, 2004
  6. thespirit3

in fact, this has prompted me to buy some cds by Harold Budd -

The Plateaux of Mirror
    The Pearl
    and - Lovely Thunder...

they got good reviews on amazon.co.uk...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2004
    mr cat, Jul 29, 2004
  7. thespirit3

mr cat, Jul 29, 2004
  8. thespirit3

space cadet Far out...

Yet, Heaven and Las Vegas was the only one CT lp that got into The Observer's Top 100 uk albums list (no. 97 if I remember correctly)
    I have been buying some old DCD vinyl on E-bay lately, and I didn't like the first one at all, the pressing was rubbish though. I prefer the Realm of a dying sun and Spleen and Ideal. I've still yet to get Serpent's Egg which is the last one I remember from my youth.
    I don't remember much of This Mortal Coil, but I seem to remember them doing some decent cover versions... Strength of Strings and Use of Ashes?

space cadet, Jul 29, 2004
  9. thespirit3

blakeaudio

this mortal coil was ivo watts-russell's (the owner of the 4ad label) pet project. many of the artists on 4ad feature on this mortal coils vcarious albums. in about 1992, a compilation / boxset was issued (4 discs, all of tmc's tracks) many of the songs are covers of tim buckley songs. lisa gerrad and elizabeth ???? (can't remember her last name) of the cocteau twins front a number of songs along with others (again that i can't recall... it's been years since i've listened to it, but i am planning on going home and digging it out now)
    this mortal coil was, if you like a "super group" made up of the 4ad artists...

blakeaudio, Jul 29, 2004
  10. thespirit3

Andrewxyz

I used to listen to the Communards a lot. 2 of the girls who did backing vocals and music for them (Sally Herbert & Caroline Buckley) released an album "Ripe" as The Banderas. This was excellent but it was the only one they did.

A few years ago whilst listening to the album I keyed Sally Herbert's name into Google and found she had done some work on an album called "Blood" by This Mortal Coil. I bought the album on spec, loved it and promptly bought the other 2.

Since then I've picked up a few discs by "Dead Can Dance", Lisa Gerrard and a couple of Cocteau Twins compilations (BBC Sessions is v good).

Ivo Watts-Russell also produced an album called "Smiles OK" by The Hope Blister. This has vocals by Louise Rutkowsi who appeared on both "Blood" and "Filigree & Shadow" Good stuff though outclassed by TMC.

Any suggestions in a similar vein ?

Andrew

Andrewxyz, Jul 29, 2004
  11. thespirit3

space cadet Far out...

I was going to suggest to you a dutch band called The Use of Ashes (after the TMC track I think, though possibly from the Pearls before Swine original) and I thought I'd do a quick search to see if it was available, but it seems that the records I've got called Castle of Fair Welcome and their previous incarnation Mekanik Kommando's 'Shadow of a Rose' were vinyl only and are long out of print (and worth £60 and £80 respectively, wha-hey!). They seem to have some later cd-material though, so it might be worth a punt... I think I might have a go anyway.

space cadet, Jul 29, 2004
  12. thespirit3

midlifecrisis Firm member

I saw DCD supporting the Cocteaus (Cocteaux?) many years ago - an excellent set. Lisa Gerrard then came and stood next to me to watch the Cocteaus. I believe she often mentions this fact on chat sites to impress people.

I think TMC's high point was Song to the Siren, with Liz Fraser vocals - goose-bumping stuff.

midlifecrisis, Aug 17, 2004
Ask a Question