Dead Can Dance

Discussion in 'General Music' started by ListeningEar, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

Just wondered if anyone forked out for the astronomically high priced CD or vinyl releases of DCD live on their recent European and USA tour?
    The Full 8 disc US tour wrapped in a special presentation pack was 200 US Dollars, the double vinyl release of the Chicago show was 100 US Dollars (this was limited to 500 copies and pressed on audiophile vinyl,...if that really means anything these days!), and I think the individual double CD releases of each gig were around 30 Dollars each.
    Would like to hear what the production/sound quality is like and whether any owners think they were worth the money. I would have loved the vinyl set but just can't justify 100 Bucks.

ListeningEar, Oct 21, 2005
  2. ListeningEar

anon_bb Honey Badger

Ouch! I saw them at the barbican - great gig. Where did you see the vinyl set?

anon_bb, Oct 21, 2005
  3. ListeningEar

space cadet Far out...

Much as I enjoy a bit of DCD, no record is worth that much... $100 for a new double album is just a stupid rip-off price and should be shunned.

Well I wouldn't consider paying it!

I recently purchased a Family Underground lp pressed in 200 copies and a Reynols/Birchville Cat Motel lp pressed in 208 copies. They cost about £11 each, so how DCD can justify $100... greedy bastards!!

space cadet, Oct 21, 2005
  4. ListeningEar

mr cat Member of the month

I listened to some of their stuff in the late 80's - and my mate also bought a compilation album released by 4AD (in about '88?) which contained some good stuff, but I forget what it was called now tho...

mr cat, Oct 21, 2005
  5. ListeningEar

robert_cyrus

"lonely as an eyesore" ?

robert_cyrus, Oct 21, 2005
  6. ListeningEar

yep, thats the one!!

actually, I'm just doing a search (amazon) for harold budd - he has collaborated with brian eno and the cocteau twins...got some stuff by hm too...class! :D

mr cat, Oct 21, 2005
  7. ListeningEar

robert_cyrus

ah, lonely IS an eyesore
    amazon £8.99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000026YFI

try "moon and the melodies", budd + cocteaus, though u can tell which track is biased towards budd, and which the other way. if u know cocteaus, then it kind of "fits" musically alongside victorialand / echoes in a shallow bay.

robert_cyrus, Oct 21, 2005
  8. ListeningEar

ah yeah, this mortal coil...had one of their albums on cassette - don't recall which one, but it was an old one..!

I've also got the moon and the melodies too - class, there's 4 instrumentals and 4 vocal tracks on there (if I recall - again, it's on cassette anmd haven't got a cassette deck now!) - the 4 solo ones by harold budd are on a cd I've got too, think it maybe the pearl...haven't got time to cross reference now like...and victoria land is their best album imo ;)

edit - it's not the pearl - but I have the cd in the house - I'll check tonight when I get home, as I can't seem to find in on amazong either...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
    mr cat, Oct 21, 2005
  9. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

...just seen an auction close on ebay for the two-disc European show compilation, went for about 30 Quid.

ListeningEar, Oct 24, 2005
  10. ListeningEar

rsand I can't feel my toes

I have that on ltd vinyl in some serious packaging with a book, some great tunes on there from memory (wish I had a TT :( ) the throwing musses track springs to mind, I love Kristen Hersh's vocals

rsand, Oct 24, 2005
  11. ListeningEar

robert_cyrus

in mint condition, that's worth a lot of money to a 4ad collector.
    even more money is the copy that came in a wooden box.
    nothing available on eil.com
    http://eil.com/shop/extsearch.asp?DiscTitle=lonely-is-an-eyesore

that reminds me, i think i have it on vinyl too, will have to check .... definitely on CD.

robert_cyrus, Oct 24, 2005
  12. ListeningEar

rsand I can't feel my toes

It is mint with a capital M, I am a graphic designer and as a student Vaughn Oliver of 23 envelope who did all of 4ad stuff at the time was my hero (still is!)
    I bought it part for the music but paid the extra just for the wonderful packaging, I will dig it out and put some pix up. Its spent the last 12-15 years unused in a sealed record box :eek:
    What do you reckon in ££'s?
    Got a few 4ad 12" like cocteau twins spangle maker etc.
    I'm tempted to buy a deck and play some of these, also loads of 7" picture covers of things like the jam, blondie and Gary numan.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
    rsand, Oct 24, 2005
  13. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

...well EIL want about £70 according to their ad. on GEMM, but there is also a M- copy on GEMM for about 40 US Dollars too. It all comes down to how badly someone wants it and much they are willing to pay.

I got tons of rare 80's stuff and have been selling it for years on line etc., the US market has been booming in the past for rare 80's music but what works against you there is how weak the Dollar has been lately, alot of American buyers have been put off because it costs them so much more.

Best thing to do if you've got stuff to sell is offer it up on sites like this for offers or set yourself up a store-front on GEMM like I have.

ListeningEar, Oct 24, 2005
  14. ListeningEar

robert_cyrus

i've been to the v&a and checked out their v23 collection - it's kinda funny to see these records all safely packaged away, never played ....

robert_cyrus, Oct 25, 2005
  15. ListeningEar

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I've got all the Dead Can Dance albums that were released on vinyl except for the US tour one (I would buy that too if I came across one), I've got that 4AD sampler too (and quite a lot of other 4AD stuff).

I have heard the Chicago album and it is genuinely excellent (a friend copied it for me) - I would love to own the album.

YNMOAN, Oct 10, 2011
  16. ListeningEar

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I tell you what was delivered today, a copy of the 180g re-mastered Dead Can Dance Aion:

[​IMG]

I very highly recommend this; an excellent recording and a really superb pressing with extremely low surface noise (for once). I got my copy brand new, for £17 and I urge anyone interested to get a copy now whilst they are still available.

This was the first Dead Can Dance album I ever bought and recommend it highly to anyone interested in their music.

I see you can get it from HMV for £18 - a blooming bargain

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=137113

YNMOAN, Oct 18, 2011
  17. ListeningEar

madscientist

I would second that. I managed to get 5 of their original 4AD recordings on vinyl including Labyrinth all Mint for £20 from my local Oxfam...a lucky day indeed

paul

madscientist, Oct 18, 2011
  18. ListeningEar

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

I think Into The Labyrinth is £40 on its own now!

YNMOAN, Oct 19, 2011
Ask a Question