Dedicated Earth

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Carpchaser, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Carpchaser

Carpchaser

In the process of putting in an additional consumer unit to provide a dedicated spur. All is going to plan.

I have heard about "dedicated earth" etc.

Anyone wish to share a few thoughts, thoeries, experiences, legalities on this subject.

Cheers.
    Iain.

Also, this worked very very well.

http://www.triode-systems.com/diy_filters.htm

Cost me about 50 squid for parts from Maplins and Farnells to make the dual stage jobbie.

Carpchaser, Mar 26, 2004
  2. Carpchaser

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

That DIY mains filter thing has got me thinking.

Making an ultra-cheap, simple version (probably just with capacitors) could be very useful to stick on things like computers and so on. Not to improve their performance, but to try to kill off some of the noise that they are injecting onto the mains.

Alternatively, a full strength version that can handle around 1kW to put between the wall and the strip adaptor that powers my computer, monitors and various bits and bobs... hmmm

I-S, Mar 28, 2004
  3. Carpchaser

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

what do you mean by a dedicated earth?
    if its an extra earth from the sockets to the consumer unit,or the consumer unit to the main earthing terninal no problem,however if you mean adding an earth stake then it gets a bit more complicated,you need to know what sort of incoming supply arangment (how the neutral and earth enter the premisse) you have,if its a TN-C-S (pme in old money) then no you cant add an earth spike ,if its a TT system (normaly overhead lines) then yes,aslong as its not in the earthing zone of the existing spike.there are a couple more supply arrangments but they aint as common

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2004
    themadhippy, Mar 28, 2004
Ask a Question