Definitions (or What Is A Tweak?)

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Gaffer74, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Gaffer74

Gaffer74

Here are some defs I throw open to everyone to see if you agree or not:

A basic system comprises of the source component, it's interconnect, the amplifier, speaker cable, and the speakers (inc. stands if needed). Upgrades are when you change an essential part of the basic system (ie, what you need, bare minimum, to get any sound) like the cd player for a better one. Upgrades usually always cost money. Tweaks are things you buy to try to enhance the existing sound by adding to what you already have, broadly speaking anyway. Most tweaks cost money, with the more absurd ones being more expensive and the best ones being free. Optimisation is altering things like positioning of speakers to get the best sound. It doesn't cost anything (if it did it would be a tweak) and you aren't adding anything to your existing system (again, a tweak)...you're just getting the best of what you already have. In summary, Upgrading is divorcing your wife, and marrying a better one (may not be more expensive or newer even), Tweaking is adding things/altering her like a new nose (may not always improve and lots of snake oil out there), Optimising her is more akin to putting her to good use (like mowing the lawn - she's unchanged but has been optimised). :green:

Gaffer74, Mar 7, 2005
  2. Gaffer74

rsand I can't feel my toes

My GF said she was going to go to Las Vegas because she can make £400 a time for what I get for free (its never free!) I said how did she think she'd survive in America on £800 a year :D

rsand, Mar 8, 2005
Ask a Question