Definitive Technology Towers w built in subs - how to?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Klipsch714, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Klipsch714

Klipsch714

Hello. Im new to the community and just trying to get back into the (semi) hi-fi world after many years absent - like - way before surround sound, absent. So I have two 3-5 year old Def Tech towers (dont have exact model at time of writing sorry) and they each have a built in sub for which I run separate cables back to my Marantz pre-amp for the sound- they have power cables as well for built in amps. I just purchased a Klipsch KW 120 THX passive sub and amp combo. The Klipsch has its own separate, stand alone power amp. My main question is how would one go about wiring the Marantx pre amp together with the Klipsch sub power amp?

Since the Def Techs have built in subs I wasn't sure if the receptacle in the back of the Marantz pre amp that was designated for subs would be used up by the Def Techs and no room left for the Klipsch. I was considering adding a 2nd Klipsch sub if it sounds like it may be necessary so that is a future consideration also. I have the setup in a walk out basement and the main listening area is 15' wide x 20'deep and its adjacent to an open area on one side. Ceilings are 7'-8' high - all drywall and the floor is concrete.

I don't want to veer too far off of the main subject, but when running multiple subs is it wise to run a "equalizer" of sorts. Back in the day we had what looked like fancy slides on the face of a typical audio box and we used it to finely control bass and treble etc. Maybe I'm thinking of crossovers for this particular application? Something that cuts a particular speaker or speaker component off at a certain hertz?? I never made it this far when I experimented with better stereo eqpt in younger days.

I really appreciate any help or advice that is offered by the community. I have some good amplifier questions too - for another thread.

Klipsch714, Aug 1, 2019
Ask a Question