DEQ 2496 mods

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Sep 11, 2006.

1. zanash

Tenson Moderator

Hi Steve,

There is not a huge amount to say about the mods themselves that is not already on the website. They replace the complete output stage from the DAC onwards, cutting out all of the circuitry you see below from the signal path.

[​IMG]

The idea of using transformers for impedance and level matching instead of opamps is not a new one, it used to be used a lot in the real high-end studio gear of the 'good old days' ;)

I should have a review in TNT Audio but it is taking FOREVER to be published. I think there is a conspiracy! Instead, I could PM you my press release if it is of any interest?

The mods are extremely easy to fit, as I do them for you! I will not just sell instructions and components I'm afraid as I really don't want to get emails from people saying they blew-up the DEQ and it was my fault for not making the instructions clear or something. Maybe I need to make it clear on the site that the price is to have them installed, not just for the parts and instructions.

Thanks very much,
    Simon

Tenson, Feb 22, 2007
  2. zanash

Tenson Moderator

Oh I forgot to say, things for the future may be the same mods can be done to the SRC which is only about £80 new so that makes an even better value DAC, but without the room correction of the DEQ. And again, the same mods for the DCX digital crossover.

I might also do some similar mods for the analogue input side for people who want to use it in an analogue system with a turntable or something. Though, I'm not sure what the uptake would be on that, even if the unit is pretty transparent people would still probably say 'oh its digital :( '

Maybe some power supply mods. I have experimented with these already and I might offer a little 'jab in the arm' with a dedicated, highly regulated line just for the DAC and or ADC.

All of this will depend on how well the output stage modifications are received though.

Tenson, Feb 22, 2007
  3. zanash

zanash

its a different chip set in the src .....[well mine is ]....

though I've still not got to the bottom of why one channels very quiet ...but not dead !

zanash, Feb 22, 2007
  4. zanash

Tenson Moderator

Same DAC chip though, I believe?

Tenson, Feb 22, 2007
  5. zanash

zanash

I'll take a look .....

that assumes I can spot the correct chips !

zanash, Feb 23, 2007
  6. zanash

Nuuk

What conspiracy?

Simon, I think that you must have been watching too much television! Quite why TNT (or anybody else for that matter) would want to start a conspiracy against you, or your business, I cannot possibly imagine! Presumably you are offering mods for the DEQ2496, and not selling arms to Iran!

As I told you, I sent your review off to Lucio at TNT in January (the 16th to be absolutely precise). He didn't get it for some reason. It's not the first email to have gone astray and it won't be the last. And that's it, plain and simple young man, no conspiracy!

Not only have you (publicly) questioned the integrity of both myself, and TNT, but you have also tried to play 'Jack the Lad' and put one over on us. Did you really think that there is no communication between us at TNT?

I told you at the time, the supplier sells the product/service, the reviewer writes the review. What is the value of a review written by the supplier? When you sent me your review, I read it as an act of courtesy, and included any points that I considered relevant into my review. But still you thought that you could get your review published on TNT by sending it directly to the editor, suggesting he publish it because my review contained spelling errors (there weren't any).

If this is the way you do business, or think you can, then what does it say about you? OK, you are very young, but you are in the real world now. Being in business is not the same as playing around with a hobby. And believe me, upsetting reviewers is not the way to promote or advance your business! Somebody more vindictive may well have pulled your review altogether for that little stunt. I'm not concerned about myself, but I think a public apology to TNT is in order.

Nuuk, Feb 23, 2007
  7. zanash

zanash

bit strong mate ...seems you've an axe or too to grind ?

everyone is entitled to an opinion...if you've not contacted tenson to say why theres been a delay ..its no wonder his imaginations running riot.

just remember reviewers that give a biased reviews or pull the article, out of sheer spite should look very closely at themselves.

TNT has or has appeared to have the highest standards ....you've now planted a very large seed of doubt certainly in my mind.

Just for the record I would not know tenson from adam ....but can tell, all is not as it seems from your condescending tone.

zanash, Feb 23, 2007
  8. zanash

Nuuk

Zanesh - please excuse me if I am a bit strong again! But when you have no idea of the facts, don't get involved!

I have no axe to grind as you put it. Neither was there any failure of communication. At the time Simon made that remark yesterday, he was communicating with TNT. There is absolutely no excuse for saying that there was a conspiracy against him!

Are you saying that you are happy to have a supplier write a review of his own product?

It does so why are you surprised when its integrity is called into question and I respond?

Nuuk, Feb 23, 2007
  9. zanash

Tenson Moderator

Nick/NUUK,

I think there has been a rather large misunderstanding here. First, I did not send anything to Lucio (editor of TNT) other than the review you wrote that is on your site. I put it in a word document so I could send it to him via email and indeed there were a couple of spelling errors. I also, as I said to you, attached an extra picture of the unit that I asked could be put in the review since I only had one picture at the time you wrote the review and now have one of the insides too.

As for the conspiracy comment, it was in jest. Though such a strong retort from yourself makes me wonder!

I realise this was all a simple misunderstanding, but I do feel that you could have contacted me privately about your concerns first rather than on a public forum. Once you have verified this, I feel that perhaps an apology is appropriate.

Edit: By the way, just so Lucio knows what is going on I have sent him a link to this page. I hope he can help clear matters up.

Tenson, Feb 23, 2007
  10. zanash

Nuuk

OK Simon, as I said, the file that I submitted to TNT contained no spelling errors. I'm not sure why you took the HTML review and went to the trouble of converting it to an MS Word Document, and then sending that to Lucio. Odd behaviour wouldn't you agree?

This is why I thought it was your review, because you had sent me that in an MS Word document while I was doing the review originally. Wouldn't you agree that it is also odd behaviour to suggest to a reviewer what he should write!

I was sent that file by Lucio (late) last night and asked to convert it to HTML format. Being late, and not wanting to delay your review any further, I didn't read it but sent Lucio another copy of the review I had written, that had already been updated to contain the new picture as you had requested.

There has been no attempt by anybody connected with TNT to delay your review. Why on earth should there have been?

Well, you may be young but your generation has grown up with computers and the internet so there is little excuse for you not to have included a smiley next to that sort of comment. But in any case, there are things to joke about and things not to joke about!

I only replied on the forum to uphold the reputation of TNT! The weight of my reply was soley to address any potential harm you may have done to the reputation of a site run entirely without profit, by a lot of well-meaning (and un-paid) individuals, that has built up an impeccable reputation over the many years that it has been running. The comment by Zanesh shows just how easily some people are swayed by what they read on these forums!

Nuuk, Feb 23, 2007
  11. zanash

Tenson Moderator

Nick, I apologise for any misunderstandings. I assure you that however things came across, they were always well intentioned. I hope that people on this forum who have known me for a while will realise that.

All the best and no hard feelings :)

Tenson, Feb 23, 2007
  12. zanash

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Just to butt in myself here, it was the over the top reaction which has possibly swayed Zanash I suspect, not Tenson's original comment ... which I would add I assumed was in jest.

As to telling Zanash "don't get involved" quite so rudely ... he has every right to, its a public forum. If you don't want people commenting, the proper etiquette is to keep to PM.

BTW. I still think TNTs great, but if I may say so, you need to chill a bit fella.

Uncle Ants, Feb 23, 2007
  13. zanash

kmac

Could not have put it better Uncle - didn't want to wade in earlier and add fuel to the fire.

To take that comment as serious suggests a significant degree of paranoia.

Even had tenson meant it seriously, I owuld have thought a private approach would have been more appropriate in the first instance.

kmac, Feb 23, 2007
  14. zanash

Jimbo

I think you are a rude person Nuuk especially to Tenson, and everybody on this forum can see it. Tenson has apologized a few times but you just go on and on. Why dont you cool it. I was looking forward to the review myself. I dont think you should bring your troubles over from TNT and share them with us. This surely is against ZeroGain rules is it not. Jim.

Jimbo, Feb 23, 2007
  15. zanash

kmac

Nuuk you comment on tenson's youth but are not man enough to apologise after wrongly accusing him of sending his own review etc.

It's clear who's the more mature one!!

kmac, Feb 23, 2007
Ask a Question