Dietrich Buxtehude

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Just the time to open this new thread (I hope it will become a sticky): quite a lot of good performances lately. Just listened to Bine Byndorf Vol. 2. Very good, and the great e minor (the one with the repeated notes and octaves in the last fugue) trully outstanding.

Also Helga Schauerte very good, but I could only get vol. 1 and 2, the other are sold out.

And also a mention to the old recordings by Walter Kraft. Very impressive but rather aged.

I wish I could write more extensively. But when I can I will.

Other opinions, please.

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 22, 2006
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Could you give us a couple of recommendations for avaialble discs as an introduction to his music? thanks.

alanbeeb, Mar 22, 2006
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

tones compulsive cantater

tones, Mar 22, 2006
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

Dear Alan, the best introduction is perhaps this, but try to listen also to this.

I could not find them in amazon.uk, but they are available. Try some other on-line shops (I really don't know many others) or perhaps amazon.de or amazon.fr

I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 22, 2006
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

sn66

Well, I've only listened to Harald Vogel (vol. 7) and more recently Marie Claire Alain (two-disc Erato set) in relation to Buxtehude. They are very contrasting interpretations. Alain plays in a very flowing manner, similar to her interpretations of Bach, of which I've heard her trio sonatas and Clavierubung 3 (Erato, both outstanding). There is less of the drama and contrasts in Alain's Buxtehude that is inherent in Vogel's intense readings. From what little I know of Buxtehude, it would seem that Vogel is closer to the ideal interpretation of Buxtehude than Alain. All the pieces in his vol. 7 seem very right and his Te Deum laudamus is just wonderful. But Alain is far from run of the mill herself. She offers graceful readings of the choral preludes that are simply beautiful and her registrations are impeccable. There is a sort of unself-conscious and unself-important humility in her readings. In terms of technique, both are superbly assured. In short, while I would rate Vogel higher, both are well worth hearing.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2006
    sn66, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Rodrigo de Sá

Dear sn66: I agree with your views, but I would say that the comparison between the Te Deum by both says it all. Vogel is sublime, MC Alain, as much as I respect her Bach (wonderful) I would say she is too human and too sweet natured to play Buxtehude: all those cliffs and abysses clearly need a much more troubled personality. By this I do not mean, as I have read somewhere, that Buxtehude is for men. That is complete nonsense and, furthermore, both Bine Bryndorf and Helga Schauerte seem well at ease with all that intensity. And, of course, not to mention Lena Jakobsen's buxtehude, the most mad recording I ever listened to (should you want to listen to bits, search, in Amazon.fr or uk for -Buxtehude Zappa- (!!!) and you will find it).

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 23, 2006
  7. Rodrigo de Sá

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

I have Francois-Henri Houbart's Buxtehude vol.1 - first impression: very good - I am not sure if other volumes exist.

bat, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

Masolino

I have the integral (?) recording (5CDs) by Olivier Vernet, a former pupil of MC Alain and M Chapuis. Haven't had time to listen to it since I upgraded my headphone kit - on my old system the organo pleno sections do not sound too appealing. :rolleyes:

Masolino, Apr 15, 2006
  9. Rodrigo de Sá

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Oh, the infamous Vernet set.

bat, Apr 15, 2006
  10. Rodrigo de Sá

Masolino

Oh?

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2006
    Masolino, Apr 16, 2006
  11. Rodrigo de Sá

Dear Masolino, welcome to ZeroGain.

Much as I admire Vernet's Bach versions (not my favorites but quite convinving) I think that Buxtehude is just not for him. Vernet plays in a very contracted, dense way, with sudden bursts of energy (just like Chapuis, the influence is quite noticeable). Now I actually find some of Chapuis's Buxtehude more convincing than Vernet's. Mind you, I only have a volume (a did not buy more precisely because I did not like it).

However, if one favours a 'motoric', strong and angular approach to Buxtehude, this will perhaps be an appealing set.

Rodrigo de Sá, Apr 16, 2006
  12. Rodrigo de Sá

Masolino

Thank you, daer Rds, for the warm welcome.

I think your characterization of Vernet's Buxtehude is right on. However, it's got to take more than some individual musician's (mis?)conception of this music for our dear BAT to consider his recording "infamous." Hmm, I am becoming more curious. ;)

Vernet recorded the Buxtehude before his did his Bach integral, and both, really, when he was still quite young. I surely hope that his next Buxtehude and Bach cycles will be more successful.

Masolino, Apr 16, 2006
  13. Rodrigo de Sá

Masolino

This is not about Buxtehude's organ music, but I just got Naxos's re-release of his 7 duo sonatas Op. 1, recorded by John Holloway, Jaap ter Linden and Lars Ulrik Mortensen. I quite like what I heard and will get their Op. 2 trio sonatas asap. These were originally released on the Danish Dacapo label. Anyone here heard it (these)?

Masolino, Apr 17, 2006
  14. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

Like you I own the opus 1. sonatas. The performance is certainly seductive, but I don't think, this is the most exiting works by Buxtehude. Therefore I haven't acquired the op. 2. His models may have been the early italian baroque Canzoni by Frescobaldi and Castello among others, but these works are much more inventive and daring. And even Hortus Musicus by Reincken is much more substantial.

pe-zulu, Apr 17, 2006
  15. Rodrigo de Sá

pe-zulu

So have I, and haven´t heard much of it yet. As far as I remember, it isn´t very memorable.
    At the moment I am listening to the Buxtehude organ works by Walter Kraft, since I just have reacquired his integral from 1957, rereleased in improved sound on CD recently. This is Buxtehude in grand style, colourful registrations, much legato-playing and discrete agogics. There is a strange contrast between the almost demonstrative brilliant playing and the deep spiritual content of his interpretation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
    pe-zulu, Apr 17, 2006
Ask a Question