digital i/c

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by julian2002, Feb 26, 2005.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hi,
    in my quest for fire - er interconnects i'm going to have a go at making a digital i/c. should i connect the coax screen at both ends or at one end only? for my analogue i/c's i'm only connecting the screen at one end but there is an earth wire in the i/c - i.e. each chanel has 'hot'?, 'earth'? and screen.
    hope i'm making myself clear here
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Feb 26, 2005
  2. julian2002

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

if its a 2 core cable with overall screen then its up to you how you connect the screen,if its a single core cable with screen then conect the screen at both ends

themadhippy, Feb 26, 2005
  3. julian2002

thanks mate,
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Feb 27, 2005
  4. julian2002

BlueMax

Don't quite understand "each chanel has 'hot'?, 'earth'? and screen."

But this is what I do. If it is a two core cable with screening, I connect the screening at the source end only. Analogue or digital. Idea is to drain the muck away from the amp.

If it is a single core co-ax cable I connect screening at both ends, cos screening is also the return.

Few weeks ago I made an input selector box for my DAC. Wired it using Maplin N61AR digital co-ax cable. Seems to work well.

BlueMax, Feb 27, 2005
  5. julian2002

bm,
    that was what i was getting at.
    i've made up some new cables using bullets. the digital is a normal coax style cable with the screen and return being the same thing. the interconnect has seperate screen surrounding both signal carrying wires. according to my dac's manual the screen should be connected at the amp end - so that's what i did - difficult to play with as the amp has a single xlr and the dac has phonos. still it all seems to work ok and also seems to make things sound better too. i've also got one of those maplin 4 in one wall plugs and some mains cable which i'm using on the power and dac at the moment and when a pair of wattgates arrive i'll be using it on the squeezebox too.
    would it be worth running an earth only connection from this and connecting this to the screens on the interconnect i use? just a thought as i'll have a spare connection on the block or perhaps run it to a clip on the radiator behind my kit?
    i've also got some cable with each conductor indivitually screened which i'll have a go with at some point but i'm all soldered out at the moment and can;t face desoldering the bullets yet.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Feb 27, 2005
  6. julian2002

BlueMax

It is some time since I have tried a seperate earth. Might sometimes get an earth loop and hum. But no harm in trying.

I have bought quite a few Micromark Multiplugs from Maplins for my TNT TTS mains cables with six 12 AWG cores. But I only couple of weeks ago I found out that you can buy it much cheaper from http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk. They also sell a version with built in varistor against surges/spikes.

Bullets shouldn't be too much of a problem. Eichmann website has some useful tips. I plug the bullet into an inline connector before soldering or de-soldering. Inline connector hold contacts in place and as a heatsink.
    A solder sucker or wick also helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
    BlueMax, Feb 28, 2005
  7. julian2002

T-bone Sanchez

De-soldering bullets is easy, I find a very hot iron quickly on with de-soldering braid does the trick in seconds. I like the cable used to make the GWS for digital cable, I cut the pvc jacket off and wrap ptfe round the braid before slippin heat sink over, its makes it alot easier to work with although its still bloody stiff.

T-bone Sanchez, Feb 28, 2005
Ask a Question