DIL switch

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by T-bone Sanchez, Jun 21, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

My diy phono stage requires the user to add their own capacitors in accordance with the cartridge specifications. I want to make this abit more user friendly. My idea is to use a number of 100pf capacitors to give various capacitiance. The phono is hardwired so my plan is to add a DIL switch straight after the phono jack and use that to select the number of capacitors needed to give the correct capacitance. Yea or nay?

T-bone Sanchez, Jun 21, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

ChrisPa

Well, on the basis that generally the fewer the number of components and connections and the shorter the interconnection lengths, the better the quality, and considering the low signal levels involved, I'd err on the side of nay.

However, loads of other phono stages have used similar systems, so try it and see. And maybe once you've established the value you really want, remove the switch(es)/connectors and hard wire it in place

ChrisPa, Jun 21, 2005
Ask a Question