dipping toe in water part der

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Saab

Saab

Considering my last upgrade,a Linn Lp12,currently been reading up the history of the upgrades via PFM.At what point did the LP12 really become the giant killer,post Cirkus?

before I do that,does anyone know how the Linn Basic with Akito compares to a Planar 3 with RB300?

Saab, Nov 27, 2004
  2. Saab

penance Arrogant Cock

do the planar 3.
    I had a basik with akito, a friend had a p3. The p3 wiped the floor with the linn.

penance, Nov 27, 2004
  3. Saab

Saab

ta

Saab, Nov 27, 2004
  4. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

Dave a few on this foru don't like the LP12, and reckon there are better about, MRS AK decided to offer help to my TT search, by offering to get me it as a chrissy pressy, I'm kinda glad as I would have prolly wanted to upgrade the RPM4 I was looking at, but got the tecnodec for good price, it's a cut down Gyro (minus suspension) so will be looking forward to listening to my old elpees :)

analoguekid, Nov 27, 2004
  5. Saab

Saab

old lpees are good:)

teh only thing that has always put me off a really decent TT is all the ****ing about with isolation,i really can't be arsed

Planar 3 it is then

for now:)

Saab, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Saab

merlin

Saab,

I owned both a P3 and LP12(Valhalla/Ittok) and the Linn walked it for me.

Having said that, I don't recall the old Linn giving me anything like the fun I get out of my Vpi - Kind of a P3 on steroids. There may well be a bargain to be had soon ;)

merlin, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Saab

adam

Although I'd never buy a Linn,it is miles better than a P3,the two don't compare IMHO

adam, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Saab

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

The LP12 is a very good player and great VFM. It has always been good, as long as it bounces nicely. There is no definitive answer as to which version is better as there are different supporters of most variants. However one ting they all agree on is to get a power supply add-on. Valhalla being the first step, but then maybe an Armagedeon or Lingo or any one of a few others. I would search through PFM or even ask the same question there.

LiloLee, Nov 28, 2004
  9. Saab

Ken

Hi,

You can buy Armageddon type copies for around £130-£150, if you don't need the two speeds this is said to be a good move.

However, there are many people out there that consider that any power supply after the Valhalla alters the fundamental "likeabillity"(SP) of the LP12.

One thing to look for is what colour is the bearing liner, Black or white. If white you will need to research what oil to use and, it's suitability to work with a Valhalla PS.

Ken

Ken, Nov 28, 2004
  10. Saab

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Saab,

As Lee has mentioned the LP12 can be very good value for money. The deck has been on the market, in one form or another, for over 30 years. There are many reasons for it's big reputation.

When it hit the shops, hifi was very objective. The rule was to spend most of your money on the speakers. Turntables had to just go round & round to be considered good. Round the mid 70s, the subjective movement started to gain momentum. The MD of Linn, Ivor Tiefenbrun, was strong in this movement. The turning point for Linn was in the late 70s when a number of reviewers and shops started to hail the LP12 as the best thing since slice bread. They and Ivor T pushed the "turntable front end first" and "following the tune" way of thinking.

Turntables got really good in the 80s with a number of interesting designs hitting the shops (Pink Triangle, Elite Rock, Roksan, Michell Gyrodek etc). But the LP12 was already up and running. It was hard for these other decks to gain a big foothold.

The thing with the LP12 is that it has been tweaked, by Linn & others, many times over the years. The golden era for the deck was from the early/mid 80s to the early 90s. The classic LP12 from the 80s with valhalla power supply is most plentiful. A large number of these will have had alot of the newer mods done as well. LP12 owners were encouraged to have their decks serviced on a regular basis.

The power supply changes are an area I would look at when buying a LP12. A Valhalla should be the least you go for. Look out for Naim Armageddon & Linn Lingo power supplies as these have many fans. Go for one with an Ittok or an Akito as these are common. The cirkus bearing has gained mixed opinions. Some like, some don't.

Get the LP12 set up correctly. A good turntable or Linn dealer should help here.

Do have a look on the PinkFish site as there are some good pointers on the history & upgrades of the LP12. You can get serial numbers so you can date the age of the turntable.

As for isolation, try a wall shelf if wobbly floorboards are a major problem.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 28, 2004
  11. Saab

Croc

bear in mind that correct setup is critical for LP12.

if like plug and play approach - lp12 isn't for you.

i personally like to listen to the music so i either didn't go for lp12.

Croc, Nov 28, 2004
  12. Saab

Saab

great help,thanks

I have tracked LP12s for ages tbh,in Ebay and elsewhere,so i am reasonably familiar with the upgrades

I'm going to take a look at an 044,with Valhalla,and no arm,but with the latest armboard.the guy wants £380,which seems a tad high,or is it? And Ittok would cost £300 ish i think plus another £200 for a cart and i'm in for £880 for a 20 yr old TT!! plus set-up costs thats almost a grand :eek:

Saab, Nov 28, 2004
  13. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

Sabb I still have details of the one for sale in inverness, 1993 model mint, basik arm and brand new goldring 1042, the only thing it's needing is a hinge he's willing to accept £360 delivered, the only reason I never went for it was i wanted something that would look right sitting on my rack, hence the tecnodec.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

analoguekid, Nov 28, 2004
  14. Saab

Paul Ranson

This is quite funny. It's a good job Bub's not here. OTOH that LP12 looks a bit dodgy.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 28, 2004
  15. Saab

johnhunt recidivist

I'd buy one already kitted out. you've just work out what you want. it'll save a lot of buggering about not to mention £$££$

johnhunt, Nov 28, 2004
  16. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

Why? Not arguing just curious, i know little about them, you obviously know a great deal more, besides it would be good to learn what to look for.

17. Saab

Saab

indeed,i would be interested to know as well

Saab, Nov 28, 2004
  18. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

Paul just noticed the first bit of your post, looks were not the only reason, that was said a bit toungue in cheek, not that impressed with bubs as you know and have heard better from vinyl, I took a lot of advice from other forum members, and for my original budget the Linn was the best bang for my buck, however my wife offered to buy me a new deck(to save any worries about worn out parts etc) and so decided I'd be best with the tecno dec/RB250/Shure V15 xMR/project phono box SE, besides you have to admit, the linn is either love it or loath it, and a few of the members who helped me reconed this would sound more like what I'm looking for, hope this explains it. wouldn't want you thinking I'm that shallow, besides, i reckon you'd actually like my system, neutral, fast, very musical, don't listen to what others say, afterall Iwasn't that impressed with you know whos setup and you like it, he's not fond of mine, but I think you might like it, have a listen to the setup or similar someday, or if you are ever up in Glasgow area, then pop over for a listen to some music.

Regards
    Paul

19. Saab

michaelab desafinado

Never let sound quality get in the way of "bling-fi" ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 28, 2004
  20. Saab

Paul Ranson

I think only speakers can be 'love or loath' unless the item in question is really crap.

BTW don't waste money on expensive cartridges with an entry level deck/arm. Anything with a respectable diamond will do.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 28, 2004
Ask a Question