Distorted to please...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Jun 23, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Over on GH when Nu Vista joined there was a bit of a debate going on on the "my system right now" thread. I doubt many people checked back at the new posts on there after making their initial post, so in short it wen along the lines of...

WM: "MF is sh*t" (in the MOst part)

Nu Vista: "MF is great" (in the MOst part)

-------------------------------------

This isn't exactly an MF thread, but MOre how people "tune" their systems to their preference. I guess alot of it depends on budget, how much you're able to upgrade at a given time (one box or a fully system overhaul?) and such....
    My thinking is along the lines of you can't retrieve detail that's not already there. Maybe you can colour/sound it (?) but you can't actualy retrieve any detail further along the chain (source>amp>spkrs). So IMO it's better to make sure you've electronics that will get the detail from the cds/vinyl etc as honestly as possible. THEN, if you wish to "tune" it to your preference, be that liven it up, MOre low end, brighter, or any of the other hundred or so descriptions that are mentioned (fruity? :cool: ), use the spkr end to flavour it up!

lets compare to cooking :D You make sure you've got good quality fresh ingredients (electronics), then you flavour it with whatever sauces and spices (spkrs) etc you wish.

In short, distort the sound to your prefernece at the speaker end? Am i talking out my arse? Is this expecting too much from the speakers?

Cheers MO :D

MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  2. MO!

Sgt Rock

I think you're just trying to post MOre threads with MO in, god you got me at it now :D :D :D

Sgt Rock, Jun 23, 2003
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Well, it is MOnday!

I've not posted much on either forums "Hifi" section (here or GH) for a while. Not much to say about the boxes themselves. This was just something i'm interested to see how others feel about.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2003
    MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  4. MO!

lowrider Live music is surround

I don't try to tune my system, on the contrary, I always choose the components that let through MOre info, and cleaner, IMHO, (this could be tunning, but I don't think so)... :rolleyes:

For instance when choosing cables, (or plugs ;)), I pick the ones with wider frequency range, that play more bass and treble, not the nicest timbre... :MILD:

lowrider, Jun 23, 2003
  5. MO!

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

To quote a Phrase that Henry Used on saturday "you can't polish a Turd', he was refering to older recordings, however for example MO, if you wanted a PRaty system, you wouldn,'t start with an M/F, similarly, if you wanted an clean/open/nice and smooth sound, you wouldn't start with Naim, back to the Quote, it's like takng a Golf GTI and sticking in a 3.5 litre twin turbo conversion, vey fast and fun it would be, no quibble, but it's still a GOLF :( how ever fast it goes, the essence is the same. But you can improve detail retrival from nearly all CDP's regardless of make buy Clocking and seperate PSU's, the mullet boys will be yes but source first, I'm not arguing, I just prefer a more balanced approach, I feel it gives a boarder increase in overall sound preformance. you can only go so much either way, with each style, unless you do something radial IMHO.WM

wadia-miester, Jun 23, 2003
  6. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

actually you can... well kind of.. in fact if you've got an upsampling player this is kind of what it does. basicly because 96khz isn't integer divisible by 44.1 (i.e. 96 / 44.1 isn't a whole number) then the player has to 'guess' at what those bits are that don't fit in at 96k (this is called interpolation). there are many different kinds of interpolation, linear (cheapest and easiest) is just a straight line, spline interpolation is more curvy and possibly natural. or there are buffering and predictive types that are really messy but can give seemingly more detail by intelligently guessing what the missing data is.

to answer your question from my p.o.v. though. i'm subjective man, i don;t even worry about the numbers or measurements.... if it sounds good.. it is good. this is why i'll no longer buy anything without a home demo from cables to cd players.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 23, 2003
  7. MO!

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Laugh? I nearly *hat:D :D :D

Chea Johndle, Jun 23, 2003
Ask a Question