diy frenzy/tt musing

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by johnhunt, Oct 20, 2003.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

I have an lp12/ittok/dl110 and it's staying. not because of any particular loyalty to the brand or even particular liking of the tt itself. More to do with lack of funds and the motivation to worry about it. She sounds fine and as i type is doing a more than passable job on out to lunch.

I have possibly worst set up hifi in the world : all kit jammed into a repro 19th c kitchen cabinet , speakers in the wrong but only place they'll go that wobble slightly on genuine 19th c floorboards, avi mono blocks that could fail any minute and until the weekend the tt perhed on top with paperback books under the front two feet at an attempt at levelling. The whole thing gets unplugged when there's some ironing to be done and spare sockets take care of charging my mobile and the ipaq

I bought a second hand target wall shelf and tried to fit it. B and q laid on some heavy duty wall fixings and a drill bit . Not usually the type for diy I was bouyed up by succseefully fitting a stair gate to keep little eloise out of kitchen. The install was a complete balls up - none of the screws would go in all the way and i managed to muller all the screw heads in the attempt. So the shelf is in a strange no mans land of being neither installed or uninstalled. It was wobbling above the cabinet but more in than out , so to speak.

so I got a brick and sat it on the top of the cabinet to support the front of the shelf. This is not just any brick but was cast as part of the Hull fish pavement. It's a red herring. The brick steadies the whole thing very well and I can yank at the shelf and the tt carries on playing regardless. The levelling system is a thinner paperback book, that's progress, and a pound coin under the two front feet. Heck it's only money and it sounds better. maybe 2 pound coins would be even better

lol

john

By the way page 74 of the wetherspoon pub newsletter features the www.fergusonhill.co.uk horns that according to witherspoons are only £69.50. It doesn't say whither this for one or a pair but surely represents either a bargain or a typo.

johnhunt, Oct 20, 2003
  2. johnhunt

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

lol

My experience to date with wall shelves is not dissimilar. However, after many hours of swearing I can offer the following advice:

1) Mark the position if the mounting holes on a piece of paper, afix this to the wall with masking tape and level it then drill through the paper template.
    2) Use M6 expanding bolts into a solid wall.
    3) With the Target wall stand use washers so that the head of the bolt stays infront of the frame to make doing them up easier.
    4) Fix the bolts to the wall stand and slide the lot into the holes together.
    5) Make sure you have some filler and some paint of the appropriate colour!
    6) If living with someone prepare the phrase "Of course it's supposed to look like that"

NOS-4-A2, Oct 20, 2003
  3. johnhunt

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

gee ya like making work for yerselfs dont ya
    hold shelve to wall in correct position mark one hole (center) drill the hole with the appropiate size drill bit,
    if into masonry use a decent masonry bit and a use a slowish speed on hammer.remove the drill every so often to remove the brick dust and mark the depth you need to drill to on the drill bit with a bit of tape.
    fix shelve to wall with the one center fixing,get it level, mark the other fixings,move shelve and drill the other holes.

themadhippy, Oct 20, 2003
  4. johnhunt

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

John

If I didn't have a contract until the end of Nov I'd be over in a shot to display my excellent DIY skills and then my inability to drink more than 3 pints without falling over :rolleyes:

If it can wait until Dec, I'm an man with a drill and I know how to use it :D

LiloLee, Oct 20, 2003
  5. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

lee

you're on:)

John

johnhunt, Oct 20, 2003
  6. johnhunt

sideshowbob Trisha

If you need a foreman to keep the proles in line and make sure they do a proper job, I'm your man...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 20, 2003
  7. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

ok Ian excellent - sound like a bit of a party to me:)

I will elevate you to Project Manager

john

johnhunt, Oct 21, 2003
  8. johnhunt

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Tea Boy more like:D

LiloLee, Oct 21, 2003
Ask a Question