DIY Granite speaker/amp stands Argos special

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by analoguekid, Nov 1, 2004.

1. analoguekid

stickman

Martin,

yeah, I used two inner tubes to try to give a more even spread and hence make levelling more easy. The two tubes were fitted from either side, with a valve sticking out thru' the wood frame so they could be individually adjusted. By appling pressure onto the slate whilst inflating/deflating, you can adjust the level easily. Mine were dead level last time I did it, but need re-doing every so often as the air obviously leaks over time.

I did put "No More Nails" on the inside of the tray, but the tubes work their way loose as they're inflated and adjusted. Now they're totally loose, but the weight of the slate and then the speakers keeps the firmly in place.

If you want any more detail, I can send you pictures when I'm back home at the weekend.

stickman, Dec 21, 2004
  2. analoguekid

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I'd be interested in some piccies if it's easy for you. Cheers. I reckon I know what I'll be trying but it's always helpful to see an example. Actually, do you have any thouughts on the type of inner tube to use? Mountain bike ones will have more air and less wall I guess, so maybe that's the way to go?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
    MartinC, Dec 22, 2004
  3. analoguekid

stickman

Yeah, pics are easy enough.
    I didn't put any though into which inner tubes, just went to Halfords and got some small ones. I'll add the detail of them at the weekend with the pictures.

stickman, Dec 22, 2004
  4. analoguekid

mudgey

vibrapods

I was wondering if using vibrapods between slaps would work? have not tried this myself, but thinking of getting some granite slabs. Vibrapods are made in different sizes the biggest can carry up to 25 lbs each.

Bob

mudgey, Dec 26, 2004
  5. analoguekid

michaelab desafinado

Hmmm...sorry, no idea, is this an S&M technique? :D

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 27, 2004
  6. analoguekid

titian

Hi guys,

interesting thread.
    I'aösp have to do something since my speaker stands are a bit too high and I would like to do something against my bouncing floor.

My speaker stand will be hand made by a carpenter next door with 2 cm massive maple wood. i will be filled up with sand.
    For the base I will use a 30mm thick granite. I will make it bigger than necessary so that it will stabilize the floor. Between the granite and the stand I will use 4 Cerabase (same concept as the stillpoints) if I will be able to get them secobnd hand under 50% cheaper (this seems the case). Otherwise I'll use the Valid Points from Walker Audio.
    I'm wondering if I should put th granite also under my subs. I will certainly glue a big granite plate on the wooden wall where my subs fire on. This to stabilize the wall from vibrating (too much).

titian, Dec 30, 2004
  7. analoguekid

Nepherim Deep Purple Flactulence

AK: Not sure if you knew (or care) but your original post was quoted in the January edition of one of the national HiFi mags (HiFi Choice I think it was). Fame is yours :)

Nepherim, Dec 30, 2004
  8. analoguekid

ListeningEar

Sorry, I seem to have come into this discussion a bit late but just a little idea for you guys to think about;

Granite/marble chopping boards sold through stores such as Argos do always represent good quality stone. A tip is to go down to your local fireplace store that sells marble fire surrounds and hearths and ask them if they have any off-cuts.

If you look at many marble fireplaces, the back scetion normally has a rectangular segment removed for the insertion of a fire, in many places these cut-outs just get left in piles in the yards (although I have seen a few enterprising stores polishing up these to sell on as chopping boards too - I have a very nice black granite one myself ;) )

Cutting should really be done with a diamond cutting blade, you can buy the type that can be fitted to an angle grinder or to a table tile saw. A wet/dry cut blade would be best as this will allow you to use water but also not worry about the blade drying out while cutting.

Edges can be polished using various grits of polishing pads, again available for fitment to angle grinders. There are also diamond polishing discs available.

This is a good DIY project to take on for those so inclined, but you may want to do further research into whether any studies have been performed on various types of marble/granite in terms of it's resonance and vibration characteristics.

ListeningEar, Jan 5, 2005
  9. analoguekid

MG_CAR

Just to say thank you

Just to add to this very late in the day but this is ACE will go to the Argo's to day. But my Mirage M3si's have a large foot print. Any way two could go side by side.? :confused:

MG_CAR, Jan 20, 2005
  10. analoguekid

titian

I just got two days ago my granite plates for the subs and satellites. Using them under the subs made a big difference :) .. in the negative sense. :inferno:
    Yes, the "sound" under 250Hz became confusing, flat just :chunder: .
    Even using the Cerabase between the subs and granite didn't changed much.
    The best solution for my system over here is to use the Cerabase directly between subs and floor. Far much the best sound, unfortunately (because expensive).

Under the satellites (> 259Hz), I haven't noticed a difference but I'll have to do more tests (with, without Cerabase / granite). I wasn't in the mood to do further tests after buying granite an finding out that in my case it was crap.

titian, Jan 31, 2005
  11. analoguekid

rsand I can't feel my toes

I tried several versions of this idea, movement between the granite/slate and carpet deteriorates the sound. I drilled through and screwed the granite to the floor, you will need a special drill bit to get all the way through granite so slate/marble is a better option.

I tried sorbathane, rdc and sonic damping feet between the speakers and granite and personally preferd the sorbathane. The speakers although rockable feel more planted on sorbathane than spikes, the sound is a revalation though!

If I had floorboards/laminate, I would still screw the granite to the floor or just put sorbathane between floor and speakers.

Changed speakers not to esl's so will have to experiment between spikes and sorbathane with them, on things for sure with their shape and footprint I will be using painted mdf not granite.

rsand, Feb 25, 2005
  12. analoguekid

ditton happy old soul

[was trying to find best forum/thread to put this]

Just to announce that I am now proud owner of the two speaker plinths, as Paul kindly made home delivery yesterday evening. Don't yet have a firm A/B report yet, but bass does seem to be firmer.

Anyway, this is to thank Paul for his troubles, and for all the pearls of wisdom that I only half managed to scribble down. It seems that the sounds from my set up are similar to his own - we both like that mid-range ...

[I was going to re-titled thread 'East meets West' but then only Weegies and Reekies would get it ...]

ditton, Jun 8, 2005
  13. analoguekid

analoguekid Planet Rush

was good to meet and chew the fat Peter, hope they work as planned.

You got PM

analoguekid, Jun 8, 2005
Ask a Question