DIY Interconnect assistance please

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by markabuckley, Oct 21, 2006.

1. markabuckley

markabuckley

I'm going to bi-amp both my fronts and my centre (I bought a Rotel 985 MKII 5 channel power amp 8 months back, then another on Ebay as a complete bargain, mint @ £108 !!

Anyway - I was thinking of using these cables to make up some 0.5m interconnects

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=26923&criteria=SHARK &doy=21m10

but was thinking - what do I do with the 2nd core ? if I want to make up a standard phono to phono interconnect ?

Now the setup I've got at the moment with mixture of decent and cheap interconnects is

phono pre-out - chord cobra I/C - female to female I/C extender - hard-wired Y-splitter - 2 cheap interconnects

Just thought is there anyway I could use this specific wire and use it to split the signal ?

IE at pre-out end have the 2 conductors soldered together, then at power amp end, split it into the 2 conductors, and have phonos on each - but what would I do about the ground/shielding at the 2 phono end ?

thanks for any help, as I really don't like the current y-splitter etc etc setup

Mark.

markabuckley, Oct 21, 2006
  2. markabuckley

zanash

The links not working...for me

is the cable twin core with a shield ?

zanash, Oct 22, 2006
  3. markabuckley

markabuckley

yes it is twin core with a shield - Shark stuff. thanks for the reply.

I just made up "normal" interconnects in the end, 2 pairs, only took me 3 hours ! LOL - first one about 1 hour, next ones got a bit quicker.

Got soldering iron burns etc, but they sound good. Ended up costing 50 quid for 2 1m pairs though !

markabuckley, Oct 22, 2006
  4. markabuckley

zanash

The way I'd use that cable would be to have one centre conductor carry the signal [hot] and the other carry ground the shield would then be attached at one end only ...giving you a true dirrectional cable ...mark the ends with the shield attached and always have these to the source.

zanash, Oct 22, 2006
Ask a Question