DIY Interconnect

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Donut, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Donut

Donut

I want to try and make some DIY interconnects from the following: -
    rs components - 359-510 19/0.15 pink
    How many runs do I need to use and are there any Phono plugs that I could use that don't require soldering. Finally if I do have to solder do I need to use silver solder.
    Any ideas would be useful.
    Cheers
    Donut

Donut, Sep 2, 2005
  2. Donut

zanash

This might come as a shock but ...that wire will sound pants IMO. You would be better getting a spool of 32awg magnet wire from Maplins.

Your basic IC has two or three cores as an absolute minimum. So lets hypothetically make a three core cable ........

Take three cores of 2m, of you chosen insulated conductor, fix one end and attach the other into a hand drill chuck.... Spin up so you have an even but tight twist[ may be 30-40 turns. Release carefully....it will try to spring back and then bite you. Divide the twisted cable in half , you should now have two lengths of just shy of 1m. With a multi meter or similar id the signal/hot wire [your choice if all the same] then the signal return and then ground.

Fire up the soldering iron .....
    Open up the RCA plugs and solder the hot to the centre pin and the other two conductors to ground. reassemble the plug and make certain the cable gripper grips the cable ....if not use heat shrink or tape to make up the slack. At the other end thread on all the plug parts .......!! then solder as before except leave one of the ground returns unconnected. Check for good connections and continuity using the multi meter.

Repeat exactly for the second cable ...

Solder maplins due an ok 4% silver lead free ...its ok
    as to none solderable plugs....all the ones I've used have come loose the 70p neutriks will take a lot of beating ...there good right up to copper bullets.

sit back and enjoy....!

zanash, Sep 2, 2005
  3. Donut

zanash

Oh yes if you want more exotic designs or materials pm me.

zanash, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Donut

Malky

Malky, Sep 4, 2005
  5. Donut

zanash

Agreed Mark is one of the good guy's.......but he is running a bussiness and therefore by definition is required to make a handsome profit, with which I don't have a problem ...unless of coarse you know and can obtain material else where at a greatly reduced cost.

zanash, Sep 4, 2005
Ask a Question