DIY mains leads - some success

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by cylinvan, Nov 9, 2006.

1. cylinvan

cylinvan

A few of weeks ago I made some DIY screened leads out of some ex computer cable I had. The effect was quite supprising - a cleaner clearer crisper sound, extended bass and treble.
    Magic I thought.
    But after extended listening I decided that the sound was too hard, metalic, not musical enough, especially with female vocals and the higher frequencies. So I stopped and went back to a cheepo lead for the CD player. That was the one lead that had the most effect.
    Then a week or so ago I came across some 2.5mm BICC non shielded 3 core cable. So I made one lead up. There it was again - the cleaner, clearer sound, extended highs and lows but without the hardeness, much more musical. Now I'm happy.
    I have not had the opportunity to test against a commercial lead (will do this weekend - NAIM / Heybrook set up), so I can't judge against that.
    But for about £5 the difference is quite remarkable.
    Is this because the current can flow easier through 2.5mm cable? Seems unlikely with the CYREX only drawing 12watts.
    Or is it because I soldered every joint including the fuse?
    The plugs were not special, just the best ones I could but locally from an electrical dealer.
    Any thoughts?
    I will make up a second lead for the amp and let you know how that works.

cylinvan, Nov 9, 2006
  2. cylinvan

zanash

Was the screen on the original power cable steel ?

I think theres more to it than just csa....

having had theopertunity to pay with various length of the same mains cable if I use short length 0.5m -1.5m I invariably get poorer result than with 2m +. my conclusion is that the cable is acting a little like a filter ...but I don't know why !

Eupen used to also recomend a minimum of 2m for there ferrite goo cable.

zanash, Nov 9, 2006
  3. cylinvan

cylinvan

I have just tried the screen with a magnet and yes it probably is steel. Hum.
    The new lead I made up is about .7mtr long. This is mainly because of the positioning of the equipment low down and right next to the wall sockets, makes it difficult to store a long lead with out coiling it. I'm not sure that's a good idea.
    I'm still not sure why there is this marked difference between the two though.

cylinvan, Nov 9, 2006
  4. cylinvan

zanash

Not say this ia problem ...but I've always considered the steel as armour rather than a emi/rfi shield. The best is double shielded [in copper] but try looking at cy cable rather than the sy.

zanash, Nov 10, 2006
  5. cylinvan

ListeningEar

When are you going to send me an evaluation mains cable Zanash? hehe

ListeningEar, Dec 2, 2006
  6. cylinvan

JANDL100

Don't forget that you must use cable rated for mains voltage and current - all else is a genuine fire hazard.

There are safety regs about mains cabling for just this reason !

JANDL100, Dec 2, 2006
Ask a Question