DIY Racks / Supports

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by lhatkins, Jun 20, 2003.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

hi

Something that I wanted to keep running from GH, a project that seems to be taking me ages to complete.

thought I would drag this thread up again, since I have got around to redesigning my rack,

Going to run my design past a couple of people to make sure its sound then I'm told there is a good wood place near me who will cut to size, drill th eholes and rout it for me, cool, I'll have some of that!

My new design should allow to to place a wide screen tv on top should I want to go down that road.

Anyway see what ya think

lhatkins, Jun 20, 2003
  2. lhatkins

zanash

Are you going three or four legs for the uprights on each side ?

zanash, Jun 20, 2003
  3. lhatkins

Hi pete.

Going from left to right it wil be

2, 1, 2, 1 like this

Attached Files:

lhatkins, Jun 21, 2003
  4. lhatkins

zanash

Looks like you'd be able to float the middle two shelves, on inner tubes, arround the three middle uprights. Sort of poor mans siesmic sink, youd have to make the holes for the two shelves bigger than normal.

The overal design seems ok nothing leaps out at me, but there's normally a wrinkle or two making something for the first time.

I was thinking about self damping shelves the other day, as you do.

Bottom layer perspex 4mm, next layer 4mm Aluminium sheet, cover with 4mm rubber sheet then 6mm mdf sheet with holes cut, 50mm dia filled with polyeurathane foam, then with a layer of 4mm rubber sheet, covered by aluminium sheet 4mm and perspex on top. Relatively lightand stiff but with different materials to soak up vibrations.

zanash, Jun 21, 2003
  5. lhatkins

Wow, that's way way more advanced than I'm taking on, Floating on inner tubes, I think I missed something there,

The only thing I was going to do is put rubber washers between the nuts and the self.

Something I wanted to do though, and I don't know if its worth doing or not, is damping the self, maybe with paint for matting, any suggestions on that?

lhatkins, Jun 23, 2003
  6. lhatkins

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

just been on a raiding party to groovehandle and thought this maybe usefull for those looking for the stud to make the flexitable.
    thanks to syd and coke for initally posting them .

http://www.cromwell-tools.co.uk/
    16mm x 1 Metre £2.39 Order code : KEN 670-0160K
    20mm x 1 Metre £3.62 Order code : KEN 670-0200K
    24mm x 1 Metre £5.87 Order code : KEN 670-0240K
    30mm x 1 Metre £8.76 Order code : KEN 670-0300K

themadhippy, Jun 23, 2003
  7. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Mr Hatkins

A possible way of shelf isolation (and how I think zanash is also thinking) is as shown in the pic. The "base shelf" secured to the threaded rod. Then a second top shelf with wider holes so as to not come in to contact with the rods. A tyre can sit between the two shelves. The way I started designing this one also has a "lip" which would cover up the gap between the two shelves. I'd imagine the use of a couple of tyres would be best. Not only as it oculd take MOre weight but it would MOre adjustable. Just make sure you drill out a hole ont the "Lip" and secure the valves for easy access. The triangular placement of the legs could easily be adjusted to suit your double flexi type design. Also, note this is a MOdular design. I thought this would make things much better for tobvious reasons like making it easily upgradeable, tweakable, and for easy access if say the middle shelf decides to get a "flatty" No need to reMOve all the other shelves (unscrewing frim the rod) to get to the flatty!

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  8. lhatkins

zanash

just the job, pic paints 1k words

zanash, Jun 23, 2003
  9. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

don't understand? this in reply to me? somethings been lost in the fonts I think :confused:

MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  10. lhatkins

zanash

No explination needed......picture paints a thousand words.....

Yes to your image thats close what I was thinking!

zanash, Jun 23, 2003
  11. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

oops! Gottcha! Didn't read the "1k" as 1 thousand. Thought the image had possibly uploaded dodgy and been shown as code rather than a pic! My bad :D

MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  12. lhatkins

julian2002 Muper Soderator

lee,
    if you're going to get exotic how about a few ideas such as...

ball nutters. a nut with a ballbearing on top supporting a shelf of wood or glass.... similar to the ballbearing arrangement on the naim fraim.

holes. cut a hole in the middle of the shelf (see qs reference and naim fraim) this aparently forces vibrations to travel further therefore loosing more energy (or something).

routed damping... get the guy to rout out a design into each shelf. then fill with cement, lead, resin, blu-tak, whatever takes your fancy to give a similar effect to laminating different materials.

not sure if any of these would sounds any good though but as you're diying it you can try them out.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 24, 2003
  13. lhatkins

j8hn

He's saying your picture paints a thousand words,

"then why can't I paint you"

j8hn, Jun 29, 2003
  14. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

As long as it's special vibration damping paint it's all good!

p.s welcome :rolleyes:

MO :D

MO!, Jun 29, 2003
  15. lhatkins

Good idea MO, with the 2 shelves but I've not built in enough room for this, or I'd have to use thinner shelving.

Nice idea's there, julian
    Now using ball bearing nuts is one I've not thought of.

Well I was thinking of getting a spiral pattern routed out of the underneth of the shelves like HenryT's shelves, but I don't want to weaken the shelf.

Thanks Hippy for retreiving those links, I was looking for them, great minds and all that.

lhatkins, Jun 29, 2003
  16. lhatkins

MO! MOnkey`ead!

progress?

MO!, Aug 3, 2003
  17. lhatkins

haha, look through some of my old threads here, 4 years and its STILL in the planning stage! Reason, lack of skill, transport, tool and time on my part! Tried to find an alternative I could by 'off the shelf' but no luck yet.

To try to simply the idea, what I may do is make 3 identical rack units, of 3 shelves each, I now have the use of a Piller drill which may help, but ATM the garage is full of junk so its gona be a summer time project.

Whether I'll get time with all the other stuff going on I don't know yet.

Its quite funny looking though your old posts and threads, I'd completely forgotten about this :)

lhatkins, Jan 31, 2007
Ask a Question