DIY Speaker cables - Hybrid test

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by speedy.steve, Feb 13, 2006.

1. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

I have been running a Cat5e Triple-T type for several months and liking it.
    This resolved a treble clarity issue that I had with my previous HiFi speaker cables...

Having a fair quantity of PTFE insulated Silver wire I decided to make some DIY speaker cables out of this - using a similar cross sectional area as the triple-T method and a weave similar to the Kimber cables that Russ Andrews sells.

Result. I liked the mids and highs, clear, crisp and fast BUT bass was weak.
    Then I tried a Hybrid of Copper Cat5e for the woofer connections and PTFE Silver for the tweeter - bi-wired.

I was impressed by the result. Bass was it's excellent self again, vocals excellent and the highs are to die for. Cymbals really sound like cymbals. The sound is fast and clear and well balanced across the frequency range.

I was even able to go from GEC 6SN7 tubes to Sylvania's. These are bright and clear but I can now handle them.
    It's as if the cable needed to be changed to keep up or allow the right sort of filtering to bring out the best in the tubes.

I can't believe my CDP can source so well!

Oddly I found homemade interconnects to be best with the signal wire PTFE sliver and the ground Cat 5e. I prefered this over all silver or all copper and over the expensive Myriad interconnects I was using before...

System is Musical Fid A3, SoH home built tube amp, ProAc response D25 speakers.

So, is hybrid cabling common?

speedy.steve, Feb 13, 2006
  2. speedy.steve

Hamilton

Hi speedy.steve

Interesting - I've just arrived at a similar solution: VH Audio style braided cat5 cables for the LF and 9 twisted pairs of 26awg ptfe insulated solid core silver-plated copper wire braided for the HF. Vast improvement on anything else I've tried, with the midrange 'rightness' of DNM Reson, but better extension at both extremes. I suspect your solution may have benefits for the treble, but unlike you, I didn't have any silver wire to hand!

Cheers

Gordon

Hamilton, Feb 13, 2006
  3. speedy.steve

keith

Yes, very interesting. I found the opposite - frustrating, eh:mad: . Having used solid silver wire to tweeters, I changed them to CAT-5, and lost an intrusive edge.

Guess it just shows that nothing is predictable...:eek:

Re my 'AVI' amplifier: maker Ashley James specifically says that this should only be used with 2.5mm copper, single-wired. ATM, I use 6mm copper mains but imminently am trying 'Van Damme' 4mm. (DON'T TELL HIM:eek: )

keep the phase
    keith

keith, Feb 14, 2006
  4. speedy.steve

zanash

you say silver in ptfe ....is it silver plate or solid silver.

I've a full set of 4n silver in ptfe, but with none of the over bright agcu plated effects.

I used 1mm 0.5mm 0.4mm combinations in a biwire config. the 1mm running the bass and the mid and treble. I'm using ML Aerius i's where the mid and treble are all driven from one connection.

zanash, Feb 14, 2006
  5. speedy.steve

Coda II getting there slowly

clarification?

Sorry, do you mean you have a strand of 1mm going to bass and two separate insulated strands (0.4 and 0.5) going together to mid/treble?

Thanks

Coda II, Feb 15, 2006
  6. speedy.steve

zanash

2 x 1mm to the bass
    2 x 0.5mm }and these combined to the mid and treble
    2x 0.4mm }

zanash, Feb 15, 2006
  7. speedy.steve

Sorry again - is that each side?

Coda II, Feb 15, 2006
  8. speedy.steve

zanash

yes ...my omission !

zanash, Feb 15, 2006
  9. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

Zanash,
    Only the silver plate stuff I'm afraid. I'm still impressed by it's ability to carry high frequency signals in a way that (to my ears) seems fast and distortion free. They are now burnt in (if you believe in that sort of thing) and sounding great.
    I will even open the amp up at some time and bi-wire the cabling from the output transformers to the speaker posts.

Now, there's another mod - bi transformering:MILD:
    The bass transformer copper wound. The treble silver wound:D

speedy.steve, Feb 22, 2006
  10. speedy.steve

zanash

Pure silver is smooth and fast ....silver plate is harsh and spitty ....imo

If you want try some I've a spare set of 2.5m pairs!

zanash, Feb 22, 2006
  11. speedy.steve

If steve doesn't want to I'd like a listen...

Coda II, Feb 22, 2006
  12. speedy.steve

speedy.steve

I would have to move all my kit as 2.5m just ain't long enough for how its set up now. Probably worth a try though.

What sort of price is this cable off the reel?

speedy.steve, Feb 23, 2006
  13. speedy.steve

zanash

Its a straight home brew ! but the parts are 2 x 0.5 mm 4n silver in ptfe and 2 x 1mm 4n silver per channel, in a loose 4 way plait.

..cost if you need to ask as they say ......if you pm me I'll work out material costs for you

I made some up for a friend a year or so ago 2 x 5m and they came in close to £25/m but prices have changed. Mind you he still has that silly grin when he listens to his music. a huge leap forward over his xlo ? stuff he had.

Would you want to build them yourself and what would be the ideal length for your system?

zanash, Feb 23, 2006
Ask a Question