DIY Speaker Cabs for Tannoy DCs - Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Uncle Ants, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Uncle Ants

Graham C

Lordy mama - where to start? First off, your graph and analysis are spot on..as you said, you can either have a 'bit more' at the very bottom - and lose a few dB @ 45Hz or have a 'maximally flat' curve to use the jargon. Not a lot gained is also how I would describe it
    The trouble with modelling the passive bits is too many unknowns.

If you use their x-over, you would start by measuring the DC resistance of the inductor that feeds the bass driver, then add the resistance of your speaker wire. It might come to say 1 ohm..

Re = 6.3 ohm [datasheet] + 1 ohm = 7.3

7.3/6.3 = 1.159

1.159 x Qes = 0.5005

Qms = 5.32 [datasheet]
    [ 1/.5005 ] + [ 1/5.32 ] = 2.186

1/2.186 = 0.45746

This is the new Qts and has gone from 0.4 to now 0.457 which sounds trivial but isn't. If the Q is above about 0.5 you will never achieve a curve like your 150 litre box line because the Q is too high. Try making a new driver model in WinISD with the new Qes and Qts [ call it DC 200 + 1ohm] and see how the new curves need much bigger boxes

Graham C, Nov 22, 2004
  2. Uncle Ants

MarkS

Hi Dev!

I don't have params for the 2558 driver as I never had a pair to play with...bit thin on the ground. I was going to recone a pair of 2588's but never got round to it - sorry.

Mark

MarkS, Nov 22, 2004
  3. Uncle Ants

MarkS

Try Electro Voice and you will change your mind. :D

Mark

MarkS, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Uncle Ants

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

i have( the sx200's are a pretty good alrounder),along with meyer,jbl,martin yamaha and sevral other manufacters offerings and still stick with the cougars

themadhippy, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Dear Graham,

Many thanks - maybe we should have a new Forum - "Speaker Design 101"

I plugged the new figures in and it came back with a 135 litre box (quite a difference) and the port tuned to just over 26 Hz. The curve looks a lot better too - we've magically gained 5 Hz at the bottom end (see attachment, pink = 87 Litre box, green equals +1ohm and 135 Litre box).

Now I'll just have to get the real measurements for resistance (actually find someone who can do it for me - I wouldn't have a clue) and plug in the real figures.

As an aside - this small change to the paramaters has made a big difference to the optimal box size and port tuning - given that part of this change is down to the resistance of the speaker cable, could this be why speaker cables might make a difference? (no I don't want to start that old debate again, but it seems logical).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2004
    Uncle Ants, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Uncle Ants

MarkS

Well I guess that makes you a happy man...

Enjoy.

Mark

MarkS, Nov 23, 2004
Ask a Question