Diy Speakers

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Malky, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Malky

Malky

Anyone any experience of Wilmslow Audio DIY speakers.I am interested in thier new Centurion model which they claim can stand proud against £8 k commercial speakers for around £2 k there are different kit otions but I would probably go for the fully finished at £2130 + VAT.but I could do with listening first.My front end is Michell Orbe SME V Ortofon Jubilee Delphini Phono Stage Cary Anniversary Monoblocks, so a really top speaker is needed, any advice.
    :cowboy:
    https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk...ild_this_speaker_for_less_than__2000_154.html
    above link for these speakers

Malky, Sep 4, 2005
  2. Malky

Dev Moderator

PM Graham C. I think he has some experience of Wilmslow kits.

Dev, Sep 4, 2005
  3. Malky

zanash

I've used them a lot in the past.......I'd recomend them without hesitation.

I built my own transmission line speakers using the old kevlar one drive unit kit [pheonix] using the fabulous scanspeak drivers.

zanash, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Malky

Malky

I have contacted Wimslow and I am going to go and have a listen. I like the JM Lab Utopia speakers and was considering a pair of used Alto at £6k a lot of money these are £11 k new daft money really. If the Centurion can match up ill have em.I think most of the cost on speakers is the mark up from maker to distributor and then again at the dealer end, and it is substatial. Wilmslow deal direct from makers of drivers etc. and they have a cabinet maker of their own it seems, so it must mean a big saving.Ill post the result of my dem as and when. :cowboy: :redrum:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
    Malky, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Malky

Graham C

I have bought speaker bits from them as I am in Leics, about 20 miles from the shop. Personally, I reckon they offer too many kits and they reckon all of them are knockout. If you get to hear them first, that must be worth a trip - I'd be interested in the result.

I agree with the good value idea of making speakers, and apart from IPL and WilliamsHart there is not many other choices? I have tended to buy parts from Falcon-acoustics

If you are in the Midlands these are also supposedly for demo 'in Peterborough'. I am curious how they sound:

http://www.williamshart.com/seraph.htm

cheers,

Graham

Graham C, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Malky

Malky

Just got back from the dem at Wilmslow . Neil was very helpfull in that he didnt hang over me telling me what I should be listening for, although he gave plenty of advise and facts about the speakers when asked,nice guy to deal with.I took my Musical Fidelity Nu Vista CD player my own interconnect and mains cable and CDs.Got set up and Neil left me to it just like listening at home as near as poss anyway.
    On trying the Centurions , I was impressed with the top end but found bass to be lacking a bit of slam but what I didnt like for my ears was a nasality in the vocals Paul Simon sounded like he was singing into cupped hands.
    Then we changed to Prestige 2 , and it just clicked with me , enough bass slam not boomy in any way clean crisp highs not quite as good as Centurion on that though, but those mids were sooo natural vocals now came through as if Paul Simon was stood in front of you with the mike. I must say I had a total listening time from 10.30 am to 2.30 pm so I made sure I was happy, I am blown away with these and I have heard some very expensive speakers and these can certainly stand proud i.m.h.o.
    I also listened to the Forte 2 and these would be my second choice if I wanted a smaller speaker, not quite as good in the bass but not far behind these were super little floor standers.
    Anyway I am not keen on the shape of the cab for the Prestige so they will make it the same shape as the Forte on the front view altering the depth slightly to give the same air volume, and I am having the same tweeters as the Centurion with single wire terminals as I dont believe in Bi Wire personaly, and upgraded caps on the crossovers cost will be £2855 completely built (im not building em ill bugger the veneering up) and I was thinking of getting a mortgage and spending £6k on a pair of Altos...not now I am afraid. :MILD:
    The amp used was the little Icon Valve integrated and it was great so I expect when the Carys are coupled up I should be in for a treat watch this space and I will report back.
    Anyone in the market for new speakers contact Wilmslow and have a listen you dont have to build your own and will still save a fortune. The Centurions are a nice speaker and I did warm to them in some areas with certain material just that they are not for me , but I would think patnered with the right system they will really sing. :beer: :band:

Malky, Sep 9, 2005
  7. Malky

Graham C

Graham C, Sep 9, 2005
  8. Malky

zanash

Told you ..........there good people always willing to help, even if its only a small project.

zanash, Sep 10, 2005
  9. Malky

Malky

Well I have had these Prestige II speakers for 18 months now, and I really cant fault them. The bottom end is awsome with out beating your head in. The mids and highs are sweet and clean. This is with Cary SLP98/805 Anniversary Mono Blocks. I will never get rid of these amps or the speakers. All cables are Missing link. I kept the shape as Wilmslow designed it as well.

Malky, Feb 23, 2007
  10. Malky

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Malky - it sounds like you were impressed with the speakers in the dem room in Leicester - was that the case?

I heard their top speakers (in their dem room) and unfortunately found the results to be somewhere between averagey and not so great.

I haven't heard any of their speakers at home so this may change completely with a home dem.. I freely acknowledge that.

bottleneck, Feb 23, 2007
  11. Malky

Jimbo

Last time i went they used an Icon valve amp and a Pioneer cd player quite old looking. He said they dont use exotic gear now as it was putting people off when they see it, thinking they must have similar stuff for the speakers. So perhaps you wasn't hearing them at their best. Jim.

Jimbo, Feb 24, 2007
  12. Malky

ShinOBIWAN

Sounds good Malky.

I've heard the Prestige 2 at the 2006 Manchester show, they didn't attend this year though and also in their demo room at the store. I was always happy listening to them.

I too also though the Centurion was the lesser speaker. Still OK but for the money probably a bit expensive even considering the savings.

ShinOBIWAN, Feb 26, 2007
  13. Malky

Malky

I did have to considered the fact that the amp Wilmslow was using was not the best for those speakers, from my experience the speakers will become a different animal when fronted with either the right or the wronge kit.My rig is Michell Orbe SME V Ortofon Jubilee, Trichord Delphini phono stage. Cary SLP 98 Cary Aniversary Monoblocks and of course the Prestige II. I think if anyone listened with this set up they would be impressed, although maybe not everones cup of tea. The bottom end and detail on bass notes is awsome. I have just changed my 300B valves to Electro Harmonix 300B Gold , and what a difference now in the Mids , clean and sweet. When we sit back and dem this stuff we are of course listening to everything and the speakers just respond to what comes before them at the best of their ability.Anyone want to come for a listen , I am in the Manchester area.

Malky, Feb 26, 2007
  14. Malky

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Malky, if I find myself in manchester, I'd love to look you up.

I rarely get that way, unfortunately.

I was suprised to hear them not sound great - I went specifically to hear the Prestige at the time, being impressed with the driver compliment on paper.

I also suspect their listening room to be sonic-garbage (really just a storeroom)

All that having been said - on the day they didn't perform at all.

bottleneck, Feb 27, 2007
  15. Malky

redyul

Hi
    Any one more has expericende the WA Prestige?
    I went on their website and I have seen only the prestige and not the prestigeII. do you know the difference?

If you are in the Midlands these are also supposedly for demo 'in Peterborough'. I am curious how they sound:
    cheers

redyul, Aug 2, 2007
Ask a Question