Diy Suppliers And Info

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by themadhippy, Jun 20, 2003.

1. themadhippy

scott_01

scott_01, Nov 30, 2008
  2. themadhippy

Rocket 88

Need birchply supplier with a panel saw..
    Jack

Rocket 88, Mar 19, 2010
  3. themadhippy

rockdog 1960 I only hit it once !

Hi Fi Repairs

A heads up to all in the Bolton/Manchester area to who diy repairs are a disaster waiting to happen. My Musical Fidelity A308 cd recently expired and a phone call to the above mentioned manufacturer frightened me to death so it looked like my cd was scrap. A look around the net turned up Mike Powel hi fi repairs in Bolton . A swift call later and I was assured the repair could be affected. 2 weeks later the 308 is back repaired and cleaned to mint condition for a fraction of MF's quote ! .I wholeheartedly recommend this great guy contact him at www.mpavservice.co.uk or call [See Website] and save yourself a fortune on dealer prices!:):):)

rockdog 1960, Oct 10, 2014
  4. themadhippy

Tenson Moderator

Hi RockDog,

Thanks for sharing your good experience. Do you know what exactly was wrong and what repair was carried out?

I've removed the phone number because auto call centres / spammers will more easily find it on a forum. It is still on the chaps website for those interested. I also changed your wording of 'troll around the net' to 'look around the net' because troll is a person who posts negative comments and winds others up on internet sites for the fun of it.

Tenson, Oct 10, 2014
  5. themadhippy

Ray1000 Ray1000

For some of the specialty single drivers in the UK, Markaidio, Jordan, Cube,
    https://www.kjfaudio.com are great and so much cheaper than getting from Europe.
    They keep some other little bits and pieces but not alot,, really for full range drivers.

Ray1000, Oct 5, 2019
  6. themadhippy

jbhunter1

Just received my first order from Parts Express. Good parts and prices. Site is very informative, customer service is helpful, and prices seem good. Company is located in Springboro, Ohio.

URL: https://www.parts-express.com

jbhunter1, Oct 26, 2020
  7. themadhippy

Sergeauckland

For components, I mostly use CPC-Farnell, who have over the years always done well for me. However, if you just want, say, one or two 1N4148 diodes, then CPC's minimum order charge will be a disincentive, so I use eBay traders for that.

For all loudspeaker parts, but especially crossover capacitors, Falcon Acoustics are very good. Excellent communications and sensible pricing.

I also often buy a Velleman kit for something I want to build, then modify it to my needs. Their prices are reasonable, and one gets a very decent PCB, which makes assembly an awful lot easier and neater than Veroboard or what I prefer to use, uncoppered matrix board.

S

Sergeauckland, Oct 27, 2020
    jbhunter1 likes this.
  8. themadhippy

jbhunter1

Love Velleman kits! They have a great assortment.

jbhunter1, Oct 28, 2020
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  9. themadhippy

Sergeauckland

I'm currently modifying their Precision VU meter kit to be a PPM.

[​IMG]
    The PCB holds the LEDs and their drivers nicely, and I've removed the half-wave rectifier averaging circuit, and am replacing it with a full-wave rectified peak-detecting circuit.

My digital players have a maximum fixed output corresponding to 0dBFS, but LP playback doesn't have a fixed maximum output, it depends on how hot the LPs have been cut. I've set my turntables' output to be 0dBu for 5cm/sec recorded velocity, so with the PPM, I should be able to see how hot my LPs are cut, up to +15dB above 5cm/sec. If I regularly see levels above +15dB, I can always adjust the PPM such that it reads up to +20dB or whatever I need.

S.

Sergeauckland, Oct 28, 2020
    Ian likes this.
  10. themadhippy

jbhunter1

That sounds great. Be sure to let us know how it comes out.

jbhunter1, Oct 30, 2020
Ask a Question