DIY TT Mk2, some advice needed

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by penance, Oct 28, 2003.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

I now have the bulk of the required parts for my next DIY TT.

80mm acrylic platter
    inverted bearing
    DC motor

all from Scheu Germany.
    The PSU is in hand, 60VA toroid, shotkey rectifier and an adjustable regulater based on the Jung supper reg
    The motor will be housed in a pod seperate from the plinth as will the arm. Pods will probably be made from thick walled steel pipe and loaded with lead shot.

I could do with some advice on plinth material.

So far -

Dual acrylic plinth Al la clearaudio, i would use 2 x 25mm thick plinths with stainless supports between.

Slate, nice and simple, 315mm x 315mm x 75. Polished finest welsh slate. This would have stainless cones for coupling plinth to shelf.

Im tempted with the slate idea, cheaper than acrylic and will look just as good in a different way.

So anyone any experiance of these materials as plinths, or ideas on other materials to consider?

penance, Oct 28, 2003
  2. penance

Markus S Trade

Using acrylic for both platter and plinth gives too much of an acrylic "signature" for my taste; I've never liked turntables that used acrylic throughout. An acrylic/metal sandwich construction à la Michell can sound okay, though.

I've twice heard turntables that used acrylic platters and slate plinths, and every time I've liked the overall balance of the deck. Do take care about decoupling, though; some sort of spring arrangement, or some air thing using a bicycle inner tube should work fine.

Markus S, Oct 28, 2003
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks Markus,
    a fair point about the acrylic, i hadnt thought about that.

i estimate the complete setup will be around 38Kg:eek:

penance, Oct 28, 2003
Ask a Question