Do better scart leads improve image quality?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Aug 30, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am wondering if it would be worth spending £10 on a better scartlead that the freebie ones I am currently using. My new TV is actually rather good and the tube seems capable of displaying some excelent images. My question is this on my DVD the image quality can be a little bit grainy (only slightly) and I have a feeling this is down the freebie cable, I know scart leads can improve sound but what about video?

Will a £10 probably be better than the freebie ones? I know with HIFI a £10 interconnect always sounds much much better than the freebies. My DVD is connected to my AMP via two decent quality phono leads so its only the picture signal that needs to pass through the scart. Once again I am sorry this is not directly HIFI related although its similar (cables).

amazingtrade, Aug 30, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

lowrider Live music is surround

I use a Chord RGB, the best available, so I was told, but quite more expensive then that...

I also use a Audioquest G-SCART for cable TV wich is also much better then the freebies...

A friend tested a few others and bought the QED RGB, because he liked it better than the competition, for a more reasonable price...

They do make quite a difference, but try to get the RGB version as it has only 7 thicker better wires, rather than 21, that is if you use RGB, of course...

lowrider, Aug 30, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

Bill Phabb

yes they do. as mentioned above rgb is best. even better if you use a dedicated video one and carry audio with phonos

Bill Phabb, Aug 30, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

Mr_Sukebe

I use a QED Squart, definitely better than a std lead.

Mr_Sukebe, Aug 30, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

a £10 one better than a freebie one?
    erm nope
    however
    Argos do OFC higher quality ones at £15. From there you can later upgrade to the RGB only ones listed above

did you get the Philips set then?

Rory, Aug 30, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Just a quick question about RGB scarts - these dont carry audio data, right?

PBirkett, Aug 30, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

nope
    just Red Green and Blue colours and I think they still have the low voltage trigger cable so the tv switches over automatically to AV1, AV2 etc....

Rory, Aug 30, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

Actually they usually carry RGB, composite, stereo and one more, probably to tell the TV to change to video input, at least mine have this 7 wires, still much better then 21...

lowrider, Aug 31, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

no offence lowrider
    but all the RGB scarts I've seen (Chord, Russ Andrews/Kimber, QED etc) do NOT have audio connections for the reason that someone has a decent audio setup and doesn't need audio sent to the tv.

Rory, Aug 31, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

Rory,

This is from Chord, mine have stereo connected, as I can hear DVDs via TV when I want to, and I assume it has another wire, as the TV switches to video automatically when I switch on the player:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Antonio,

Thank you for your e-mail. You are most likely to have an RGB Scart. The Loewe television uses the same inputs for RGB and component and you are quite right, it is a very high pitch quality. Assuming you have a cable that is connected for RGB what we can say for certain is that this cable will be connected on red, green and blue signals and earths plus composite sync which will also enable the cable to be used for SVHS and also composite. You may or may not have audio signals connected since we wire
    cables specifically for a purpose as we find the performance is better. The majority of the cable in your scart connector will be our own Chord sub miniature coax. This is a very high performance coax that we developed ourselves and is a very fine choice for picture transmission usage. I am very glad you are enjoying the cable and if there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With best regards.

Nigel Finn
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

lowrider, Aug 31, 2003
  11. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

well it'll just be a normal 21pin scart then (albeit a decent one :) )- if you can definetly hear sound.
    I get a RGB picture from my freeview box through my tv and my tv actually says 'AV1/RGB' and I still get the sound through. My scart is a fully wired 21pin Straightwire.

I think earlier posts were on about scart cables specifically wired for literally just Red, Green and Blue colours and possibly low voltage trigger. Because there are fewer cables, these can be made thicker which in turn, with the right materials makes the picture quality better.

Rory, Aug 31, 2003
  12. amazingtrade

I am telling you, as the guy at Chord confirmed, it is the RGB SCART, he also said they configure to demand, and here in Portugal they come with 7 wires, the other Chord SCART wont pass RGB, at least thats what they say...

May Audioquest G-SCART also has sound, but it is not a full 21 wire cable...

lowrider, Sep 1, 2003
  13. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

can we agree to disagree?
    look on page 97 current issue of WHF at the Russ Andrews RGB scart with 'no necessary audio connections'

cheers

Rory, Sep 1, 2003
  14. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I found that when I started using a better scart lead my image went up. I was excepted into the "in" crowd and my new improved image made me all the MOre happy with myself. However, I can simply leave my better scart behind when I don't wish to be pestered over my image.

MO

MO!, Sep 1, 2003
  15. amazingtrade

Ian J

There is no official designation as an "RGB scart" but different manufacturers may term their own offerings as RGB scarts but they all seem to differ in what they offer.

Ian J, Sep 2, 2003
  16. amazingtrade

Ian J is right, as it is more than proven by our experiences, case closed... :MILD:

lowrider, Sep 2, 2003
Ask a Question