Do you leave your stuff on always or on when needed?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jan 28, 2006.

?

Leave equipment permanently on?

1. Yes

45.0%
  2. No

55.0%
  1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

As title really, there seems to be a case for doing both - leaving it always on means the equipment is presumably always warmed up, and it avoids the potential for something to go pop when turning stuff on and off.

On the other hand, I guess it could be seen as a waste of electricity to leave it on all of the time...

What do you lot do?

PBirkett, Jan 28, 2006
  2. PBirkett

stuartswan

leave amp on and every thing else off

stuartswan, Jan 28, 2006
  3. PBirkett

ditton happy old soul

"Do you leave your stuff on always or on when needed?"

I turn all on and off each night before I go to bed, but when in the room I never take the boots off unless we're doing it to vinyl ...

ditton, Jan 28, 2006
  4. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Must admit I leave my headphone amp on always because theres no power switch!

I used to leave my Rotel always on, but for some reason I find myself switching this one off when I'm not using it....

If like a weekend like today when I know I might not always use it but will certainly use it several times during the course of the day, I'll just leave it on.

PBirkett, Jan 28, 2006
  5. PBirkett

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Usually turn my kit on/off as when needed, but tend to leave it powered up all day if I'm going to be using it at various times - such as at weekends.

nsherin, Jan 28, 2006
  6. PBirkett

Will The Lucky One

DAC stays on all the time, amp goes into standby, cd player always gets turned off as it has no standby mode....a mixed bag then.

Not sure why I never got used to switching the DAC off really, I think its cos when I got it I wanted the caps to 'burn in' a bit so got used to leaving it on overnight. Apparently the caps will degrade more slowly by staying constantly charged, rather than constant power on/power off cycles as well, and its power consumption is pretty low, certainly compared to leaving an amp on.

Will, Jan 28, 2006
  7. PBirkett

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I sometimes leave the CD on if I know I'll want it again later. The amp is class A and so wastes too much leccy if left on so I turn it off. It doesn't really matter as it's not only electronics that need to warm up. Speakers generally need to warm up too.

technobear, Jan 28, 2006
  8. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

My cd tends to turn itself off if not used for a while.

All the AV kit gets turned off when not being used.

There's no power switches on any of the MF kit (Amp, DAC, and Cans amp), so they tend to stay on. The Amps power supply is in a seperate box and that's where the on/off switch for it is.

MO!, Jan 28, 2006
  9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Really? I never realised...

PBirkett, Jan 28, 2006
  10. PBirkett

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

All on all the time, unless I am going away for more than a week, but if I had valve amps, may be different.

Levi_501, Jan 30, 2006
  11. PBirkett

tones compulsive cantater

I never leave anything on. I've never heard it to make a difference (but then I wouldn't, wouldn't I?:D ).

tones, Jan 30, 2006
  12. PBirkett

AlexTaylor

With me I leave it on as I'm petrified that constant on-offing is going to damage some of the circuitry, but then again i'm always listening to music...

AlexTaylor, Jan 30, 2006
  13. PBirkett

jtc

I used to leave it on all the time but since I moved to valves I switch the amps off, leaving the CDP on.

jtc, Jan 30, 2006
  14. PBirkett

RolfeZ

Everything except power amp on constantly. Big difference if kit is cold. Happens quite suddenly and makes you turn your head

RolfeZ, Jan 30, 2006
  15. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

amps left on- when powering off they make the speaker drivers move quite alarmingly (although Plinius claim its normal- my old 8100 did it too) so i'm trying to minimise damage that way. The CD player sounds a lot better when left on all the time. Secondary and tertiary systems are switched off after use.

Rory, Jan 31, 2006
  16. PBirkett

dunkyboy

Speakers get switched off while I'm out of the house. They're Class A actives and use about 50 watts each when idling so want to keep the electricity bills down... They also aren't affected sonically by being listened to cold much (if at all). Also turn the valve pre off for obvious reasons, though only if I think I'll be staying at my girlfriend's place that night. It does sound a lot worse when cold. Takes maybe 30-60 mins to warm up properly.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 31, 2006
  17. PBirkett

mr cat Member of the month

I leave mine on all the time except for my dvd player and sometimes my AV amp - but I play music more anyway...

mr cat, Jan 31, 2006
  18. PBirkett

Tons of Fun Technical monkey

I've got a valve in the CD player and the amp has a terrifying standby consumption so they always get powered off at night. Like some others here, at weekends I will turn them on for the day but always off at night. None of my stereo units have a standby either. The AV gear is mostly the same except my sub which is a faff to get to and has a digital amp in it so gets left on all the time.

Tons of Fun, Jan 31, 2006
  19. PBirkett

felix part-time Horta

On all the time unless I'm away overnight or longer, in which case I turn the poweramps off. Total draw at idle is only about 65W, not much really, and it does make a difference that's worthwhile to me.

felix, Jan 31, 2006
  20. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

On all the time, all of it. I even leave pink noise playing into a load through the passive pre-amp a lot of the time. Like Felix the current draw when idle is only around 50watts.

Tenson, Jan 31, 2006
Ask a Question