Does Anyone Know Someone Who Can Fix BSR Record Changers?

Discussion in 'High End Audio' started by frschoonover, Mar 6, 2009.

  1. frschoonover

    frschoonover Guest

    To The Group

    Does anyone in this forum know someone who can fix BSR record

    I have a Realistic Clarinette Stereo with a BSR record changer and the
    spindle is loose. I have tried everything to tighten it down but

    If anyone knows someone who does this, please let me know. Thanks in
    advance. Sincerely Frank R.Schoonover
    frschoonover, Mar 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. frschoonover

    Sonnova Guest

    I don't think ANYONE can fix a BSR changer. I had one as a kid. I believe
    that I paid something like $12 for it NEW from Radio Shack (then a mail-order
    only outlet located in the Boston Mass area). IIRC, the spindle support was a
    tall, steel collar in the center of the platter "depression" in the chassis
    plate and was peened into place. That is to say that the stepped-down end of
    that support passed through the heavy gauge steel chassis where the end was
    flattened by some kind of press (sort of like a big, hollow rivet). It is
    likely that this has come loose (if I'm reading you correctly). This makes
    the platter wobble as it rotates, especially when the changer mechanism
    engages - am I right?

    Mine did this and as I recall, I was able to fix it by taking almost
    everything off of the chassis (the turntable itself was held on by a "C" clip
    if memory serves.). Then, turning the chassis upside-down, with the spindle
    tower resting on the closed jaws of a bench vice, I placed a block of steel
    over the peened spindle support and whacked it a number of times with a
    hammer. This re-tightened the mechanical connection between the spindle
    support and the chassis plate. HOWEVER, be advised that I seem to recall that
    in my case anyway, the repair was temporary. In a few week or months (I don't
    recall exactly how long) it loosened again. The next time it happened, I
    replaced it with only a slightly less awful British record changer, a Garrard
    Sonnova, Mar 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.