DPA 50S Bi-Amp System

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by SimonConnell, Dec 24, 2005.

1. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

DPA 50S Setup. Pair (!) of 50S power amplifiers, a 50S preamplifier, power supply, and the (rare) standalone 50S phono stage, plus all the cabling to connect it up – bespoke balanced Black 16 speaker cable, power cables, and a set of balanced Black Slink interconnects for between the Pre and Powers – very long at 3m, you could easily take some cable out of these to make some Black Slink phono interconnects and have plenty left.

One of the best amplifiers ever made, and particularly rare in the bi-amp configuration – Rob Watts only made a handful of these. The external phono stage is also not only rare, but of exceptionally high quality too (beats anything else I've auditioned). These were hand made by DPA Audio in Wales in the early 90s, and were only produced to order. They were the subject of glowing reviews at the time – I may be able to dig out a copy of one or two to send to interested parties. I know of a number of Hi-Fi reviewers and journalists who still have DPA equipment and 50S equipment in particular for use as a reference or in their personal systems.

When new, the power amplifiers cost approximately £2000 each, the pre-amp and power supply £1400, the phono stage £700, the speaker cable £1200, and the special long interconnects were an additional £600. Overall, the setup cost approximately £7900, and will easily blow anything new at that price out of the water – I'll not wax lyrical about the sound, but suffice to say it's the best I've ever heard or owned, and I've heard most equipment out there. This has more rhythm and timing than the best solid state gear, with a more natural presentation and fluidity than even the best valve equipment. Amazingly pure sound.

They output approximately 120 watts per channel (compound class A), and the paired amps means they can drive pretty much any speaker – they sound fantastic with horns (yes, really – they run that cleanly), but I've also used them to drive speakers including Totems, which are notoriously difficult to power.

Reluctant sale, I've not used the system since moving house a couple of months ago due to a lack of space, and don't foresee using it in the near future – I'm therefore offering the amps for sale (not planning on parting with the DPA SX512 DAC any time soon!). If you know what you're looking at, you'll appreciate that opportunities like this rarely come up – I can imagine there are only a couple of complete 'all the trimmings' systems like this in existence.

Plenty of photos available to anyone who is interested (20mb of high-res images), plus plenty of additional information. All the equipment is boxed, and I've got the instruction manuals. I am happy to ship anywhere in the world at the buyer's expense, and can provide competitive shipping rates.

The asking price is £1000 plus shipping. This is a phenomenal bargain for the sound quality on offer.

SimonConnell, Dec 24, 2005
  2. SimonConnell

teaseme

...where in uk are you ? thx

teaseme, Dec 24, 2005
  3. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

The system is at my parents house in Bracknell, Berkshire.

SimonConnell, Dec 24, 2005
  4. SimonConnell

Neil

This is a fantastic piece of kit - if I had the money I'd snap it up at that price. I guess my 50S was the only bit of kit I've ever really regretted selling. This set up, particularly with black 16 speaker cable ( I only has double runs of black slink) sounds incredible. The 'double pole zero phase shift compensation with speaker feedback' :D stuff is a brilliant design....... etc etc.

Neil, Dec 24, 2005
  5. SimonConnell

maddog 2

you a mountainbiker by any chance ;)

maddog 2, Dec 24, 2005
  6. SimonConnell

Jadis

dpa gear

Sent you a PM simon I'll take it
    Jadis

Jadis, Dec 25, 2005
  7. SimonConnell

jrm78

Does anyone have a Deltec 500s or 1000s speaker cable that connects to a DPA 50s. I need to buy one.

jrm78, May 13, 2020
Ask a Question