DSLR slight return (Sensor smuff:( )

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zygote23, Sep 19, 2006.

1. zygote23

zygote23

OK so frustrated with the gunk on my sensor that I'm considering dumping the D70 (and this is the second one) and getting a D80.

Anyone tried to clean the sensor or use any of the kits available for this purpose? I take a lot of pics when I'm out at the beach kiting and I am sick of the constant touch up process to get rid of the dreaded dots!

zygote23, Sep 19, 2006
  2. zygote23

penance Arrogant Cock

The sensor kit i used was good, but i forget the name.
    You do need to be carful when doing it.

If your worried about doing it yourself why not take it to a service centre and have them do it.

penance, Sep 19, 2006
  3. zygote23

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Use a blower bulb.

Do NOT use compressed air nor anything that touches the sensor (eg brushes or swabs). If a blower bulb won't move it then it may be service centre time.

I-S, Sep 19, 2006
  4. zygote23

midlifecrisis Firm member

I've twice had sensor blobs and each time just locked up the mirror and blew them off the sensor with an air brush.

midlifecrisis, Sep 19, 2006
  5. zygote23

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I must confess to having no idea how people get into trouble with this. I have used a d50 since January, in that time I went mad on eBay and turned over 19 lenses. In all that time I got one tiny speck, which I got a cheap blower to blow it off.

You have to be pretty careless IMO to get lots of gunk on there, and even so its really easy to get rid of. Use a blower, not compressed air and never touch it with anything, even them kits which are specially for the job.

garyi, Sep 19, 2006
  6. zygote23

zygote23

Take a pic of a piece of white card and see just how much gunk you have. My lens has not been off since I bought the camera. Gunk on the sensor is a drawback of the type of camera and the static charge that builds up on the sensor. It sure is a PITA though.

zygote23, Sep 19, 2006
  7. zygote23

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm not sure if you'd be better off (for this purpose) with the D80. As far as I'm aware it doesn't have anti dust measures as such. The D200 has weather sealing.

The new offering from Pentax (K10D) comes with anti dust. Not sure is the equiv sony and canon do.

Or how about just getting one of these which probably has just about everything! Well, for £20k or so, you'd hope so...
    http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MO!, Sep 19, 2006
  8. zygote23

hifikrazy

Sony A100 i just bought does have anti-dust. Mind you no idea how effective it actually is!

hifikrazy, Sep 19, 2006
Ask a Question