dyn contours + jupiter + WAD KiT6550??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Jul 15, 2003.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

well im gettin the DIY bug, and the world audio design kiy6550 is looking appealing.
    im hopeing to audition one next week, but not in my own home.
    will it match my kit and what kind of sound can i expect?

Also will it be a good amp for some clout? like those attacks of leftfield/prodigy i get quite often.

im not up on valve kit at all so i dont know what to epect, but the alure of those glowing tubes has gripped me:cool:

thing is i always had the impression that the valve sound was suited to more subtle music and not outright attack for the heavy sessions, am i wrong?

penance, Jul 15, 2003
  2. penance

merlin

Mmmm:confused:

Inefficient speakers, inefficient amplifiers and unsubtle bass lines..

Soggy cucumber sandwiches squashed flat in my sweaty backpack come to mind:D

merlin, Jul 15, 2003
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

oooook

thatd be a no then

penance, Jul 15, 2003
  4. penance

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hiya

Do you mean this?

[​IMG]

Well, its 40w p/ch class A push pull, so should be sufficiently powerful to meet your needs.

As to its sound.. well, typically I would say with valves you get a slight softening of the leading edge, and added body and texture to the sound. Obviously this varies hugely from amp to amp. I havent heard this particular variation of WAD amp... and thats just a generalisation.

From experience, I think it likely to be a power amp with a passive attenuator and selector switch built in.. but thats nothing to worry about... Almost definately wont include a phono stage, iif you have records you'll need one on top.

Valves can do rock/dance very well, but its more a question of whether you like the particular sonic presentation of valve vs solid state..

Id beg to borrow it before you splurge cash personally... although, at a tad over £600, it should punch well above £1000 by brand new shop bought alternatives - SS or valve.

What are you replacing with it, out of interest?
    Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 15, 2003
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

ill be replaceing an Audiolab 8000A

I will listen before i buy, just that i gotta go to a guys house that i dont know to do it :eek:

i want something with more grip than the Audiolab and more stageing

SS amps ive been considering are along trhe lines of primare/AVI

penance, Jul 15, 2003
  6. penance

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I will listen before i buy, just that i gotta go to a guys house that i dont know to do it

........sounds like a bake off! hehehe

u probably know this, but I wouldnt pay too much heed to the amount of watts - 40W push pull class A should be plenty....... Beefy valve watts!

U really are bitten by this bug arent u??? ten minutes, and youve re-wired your house, DIY'd a valve amp.... changed 1/2 your kit PMSL!!!

Zerogain has a lot to answer for in the pennance household, Id warrant..

bottleneck, Jul 15, 2003
  7. penance

Lt Cdr Data om

well, I have one of these, along with 3 world audio amps, and it is my fave of the lot...
    ....it has a very different presentation...very 3d, it is slightly softer than transistors, and I can't go back to transistors easily now...they sound forced in comparison.
    It is also much more natural, and musical . It is spacious, and almost whispy, airy, phasey, not in a bad way, very attractive.

For heavy music, well, put it this way, electric guitarists hate transistors, they all have tube amps...

40 watts in a valve is plenty...it is not cheap cheap, though, @I haven't heard a tranny amp better it...at any cost...and I have heard a lot...but what matters in the end is will you like it....?

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 15, 2003
  8. penance

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Penance, is it Greg? If so he is a great chap.

6550 have quite a meaty sound to them. Slightly more upfront than other valves and liked by many.

What ever happens it'll open up a new area of hifi to you.

LiloLee, Jul 15, 2003
  9. penance

merlin

To be fair Penance, I've heard most of the Contour range, and with the exception of the Crafft, they are all voiced with a fruity, funky bottom end that benefits from control.

I'm not knocking valves per se, just that I feel Dyns do not mate well with the euphonic camp of the valve followers. I have heard them sounding great with Border Control 300 and Dave Berning Z270, but these are very unvalve sounding valve amps IMHO

merlin, Jul 15, 2003
  10. penance

michaelab desafinado

Ahh - someone else who's heard of the Dyn Craffts :eek: The guy I bought my Contour 1.3MkIIs off replaced them with Craffts after having had a pair of Special 25s in his system for a month (he thought the Craffts were better) :eek: He goes as far as to say that the Craffts are the best monitor speaker he's ever heard!

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 16, 2003
  11. penance

merlin

Hi Michael,

Yep the Crafft is an oft overlooked standmount, I have two friends within a few miles who have pairs in Birds Eye:D

The Esotar is an order of magnitude better than the standard Esotec, Craffts also have better delineation in the bass which leads to greater openess across the midrange. That said, they both want first shout on the Merlins if I ever part with them. ;)

merlin, Jul 16, 2003
  12. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

gotta be worth a listen eh!

Lilolee, yup it is greg - i just hope he wont mind some of my music;)

ill also audition the Primare and AVI before i buy anything

penance, Jul 16, 2003
Ask a Question