Ebay: What do you lot think about this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Sep 29, 2003.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I recently "sold" my Corda on ebay (the headphone amp), but this strikes me as dodgy. When the auction ended, it ended for £165. That was a very good price I thought. When I left before work this morning, it was on £85. When I got to work less than an hour later, it was one £165. Naturally, this made my day :D

Tonight, I gets home, and the following is in my inbox:-

>I am contacting you regarding the above sale…..When inputting my highest
    >bid I unfortunately missed out the point so it came up as £9735 was my
    >highest bid…..Sorry about confusion but highest bit from myself on the
    >above item is £97.35….If you still wish to sell email me back

So, he is saying he did not bid £165, but what it says in there does not really tally with why it still shows £165??

Does this seem dodgy to you?

The guy has very good feedback though, so why would he risk it? What would you lot do about this?

PBirkett, Sep 29, 2003
  2. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I've just looked at the bid history, and someone else has put in up to £160. I think I might contact that potential buyer and say the other dude will not pay up, and do you want it for £160 :D

PBirkett, Sep 29, 2003
  3. PBirkett

cookiemonster

It only went to £165 due to the next highest bidder. Contact whoever bid just below and see if he wants it - and give the other geezer a good spanking. He should have realised his mistake sooner and retracted the bid. In effect this has probably worked in your favour. By this error on the part of the winning bidder, it has drawn the price up. The guy who bid up to £160 may otherwise have won it for a lot less - i.e potentially about £98. So don't expose the truth to the guy who you will offer it to - just say the other fella flunked out.

I could have put that much simpler:rolleyes: . Late in the day, and one of the cleaners is wittering in my ear asking me to divide 375 by 12. :rolleyes:

cookiemonster, Sep 29, 2003
  4. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hello Dino mate, thats exactly what I have done. I have sent an email to the dude who pulled out saying that I wont give him feedback, and I'm trying for a £160 second chance offer on the other dude, he would have otherwise got it for £100. See how it goes....

PBirkett, Sep 29, 2003
  5. PBirkett

Sid and Coke

I'd ask the guy whether he wants to buy it at £165 , if he says no then it sounds like a genuine mistake , but your trying to sell your gear to the highest bidder, not running a charity. I'd offer the amp to the guy who bid £160 and tell him it was due to a non-paying bidder.
    Negative or at least neutral feedback should be left for £9K+ man, maybe he'll be more carefull next time.

The guy who is second on your list at £160 has a good case to consider that he has been ripped off, depending on the level of bid by bidder number three, for example :
    Bidder #1 is at £9735K- but dropped out
    Bidder # 2 is at £160 ( an honest bid, but artificially high)
    Bidder # 3 is at £98 - a good honest bid

Really Bidder #2 should be offered the amp for circa. £100.

Sorry Paul, I know you're an honest bloke but if I was #2 and studied the bid history and the after auction shenanigans i wouldn't be very happy ( in fact i just plain wouldn't ) pay £160.
    I'd also consider complaining to E-bay admin and leave negative feedback if i didn't get offered the amp for the next incremental bid over bidder #3. That is assuming everything is all above board. If Bidder #1 and bidder #2 where one and the same person though, then everything would take on a whole new 'very convienient' look.

You could also consider putting it up for sale again due to non paying bidder, and maybe even include a link to your previous sale, kinda 'backdoor negative feedback' .

It's a bit of a mess , but not totally undoable. Hope it all works out and good luck.
    Regards
    Sid.

Sid and Coke, Sep 29, 2003
  6. PBirkett

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I would not even lose sleep on this one, someone has bid intentionally 160 quid, offer it to him.

garyi, Sep 29, 2003
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well whatever the morals of it, it has been offered for £160 and accepted, I must admit that £100 probably what I *should* have offered it for, but such is life - if the guy didnt want it for £160, all he had to do was say no. Thats how I see it anyway.

PBirkett, Sep 29, 2003
  8. PBirkett

adam

I agree with garyi his got the money thats what he bid,whats the problem?

adam, Sep 29, 2003
  9. PBirkett

BlueMax

May be it is your photo that persuaded him to accept!
    How could he say 'no' to a pretty blonde?

:D

BlueMax, Sep 29, 2003
  10. PBirkett

Sid and Coke

I agree,

If i where in your shoes Paul i would have done EXACTLY what you have done , absolutely no question about it. I was merely stating what I think really 'should' have happened. The original post did say "What do you lot think about this ?"
    Basically I reckon your buyer has been ripped off to the tune of £60,( mostly by bidder #1's antics) however if thats what he is willing to pay with no questions then so what.
    OK, 'ripped off' is probably too strong a phrase maybe, given the age, pedigree, and condition of the item for sale , but i think you get my drift.
    Basically Paul, well done for finding yourself a Mug, and tough shit to the mug for ..........well, being a mug.

Catch you later, I'm off to work now....

Regards,
    S&C

Sid and Coke, Sep 29, 2003
  11. PBirkett

Nepherim Deep Purple Flactulence

Wot they said (don't you hate it when someone says that).

Oh, and just in case you still need to know it's 31.25 :)

~ ~ Dave

Nepherim, Sep 30, 2003
  12. PBirkett

maddog 2

just a small point but possibly relevant..

If you sell it to the 160 bloke it's not actually an Ebay sale as he didn't strictly win the auction - fat fingers did.

So you won't get the opportunity to feedback each other (positive or otherwise). It's obviously not a problem for you Paul as you just wait for the cheque/PayPal etc. to clear the despatch it but 160 bloke might be a little concerned if you send him a box of nails.

I'm always a little wary of "private" sales that tag themselves onto registered Ebay ones.

As for morality... if you were been picky... then the moral thing to do would have been to re-submit the amp for a second auction as the first one was clearly void. Heaven forbid (and I'm NOT saying this Paul!) but £9735 man could have been a stooge fishing for the best price.

Or am I just a cynic?

maddog 2, Sep 30, 2003
  13. PBirkett

technobear Ursine Audiophile

How can you say bidder #2 would have got it for £100. Had bidder #1 not made his mistake, whose to say the bidding wouldn't have gone on and possibly exceeded £160 anyway.

Chris

technobear, Sep 30, 2003
  14. PBirkett

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

on e bays bidding instructions it states that you should bid the amount you are prepared to pay for the item and let proxy bidding do the rest.So this guy was obviousley prepared to pay 160 squiddlies for the amp, and he did.

rob, Sep 30, 2003
  15. PBirkett

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Since your bidding on e-bay, when has morals entered into it :rolleyes: there's more 'bent over priced deals' done there than in the back of 'Del boys' Reliant Robin :D

wadia-miester, Sep 30, 2003
  16. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Techno, there were only two people bidding at this stage and with his highest bid being £93.75 the next one technically was £100, so that, I dare say, is what it would have gone for. Anyway its all packed and on its way and i have the money, so concludes that little saga.

It will fund a new tuner for me. :D

PBirkett, Sep 30, 2003
  17. PBirkett

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

How about a Leak troughline ?

:)

bottleneck, Sep 30, 2003
  18. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'm just gonna get a Denon TU-260 II :)

PBirkett, Sep 30, 2003
  19. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul
    If you get a denon i would recomend the mod kit that pete (Zanash) supplies.
    It consists of some cap and resistor upgrades and some simple wire changes, made a decent improvement on my denon.
    And if your not keen on PCB soldering im sure someone would do it for you.

penance, Sep 30, 2003
  20. PBirkett

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Why not buy Robbo's TU260L? Who needs RDS anyway :p

Chris :techno:

technobear, Sep 30, 2003
Ask a Question