Efficient Mini Monitors Required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ListeningEar, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

Looking at putting a very small audio system in the bedroom driven by a single input push-pull valve amp. What I need help with is finding a very small but efficient loudspeaker. I was thinking it would be best to aim for at least 90dB or higher.

I don't want anything that looks like an entry level box, especially all plastic cabinet/casings that you seen with many of the small AV speakers.

Budget is very important,...needs to be cheap! So second hand items with maybe a little age to them would be best ;)

ListeningEar, Aug 25, 2005
  2. ListeningEar

Tenson Moderator

I dont think you will find many small speakers are efficient! I seem to remember being told over at www.echoloft.com that there are some smallish horn speakers designed to go in room corners that would be very efficient. I don't remember their name though. They were supposedly about bookshelf size.

How efficient are those full range Fostex drivers? I also remember a design that used them in a drain pipe and with no crossover they should be pretty efficient?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
    Tenson, Aug 26, 2005
  3. ListeningEar

Tenson Moderator

I just looked and the 6.5" full range Fostex FE168EZ driver has an efficiency of 94.5dB so if you built a nice box for that...

Just looking at the specs a transmission line tuned to about 50Hz should do pretty nicely to load the driver at its impedance peak and thus extend the response down a bit. You might even get lower than 40Hz from it!

The drivers should be about £170 a pair and then whatever you want to make the boxes and a bit of absorptive foam for the transmission line filling. If you do make them remember that the filling extends the effective length of transmission line so shorten it by the appropriate amount. I can't remember how much that is though....

Tenson, Aug 26, 2005
  4. ListeningEar

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Simple and short, you need to trade off sensitivity for low frequency extension and ability to play loud at low frequencies, it's called the iron law.

Therefore, repent of all bass and you can have a small and efficient speaker.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 26, 2005
  5. ListeningEar

la toilette Downright stupid

How about a pair of old Tannoy Eatons or SRM10b's (if you can find any). Not tiny but quite efficient, and bags of bass.

(yes I am obsessed with Tannoys)

la toilette, Aug 26, 2005
  6. ListeningEar

ditton happy old soul

what about SoundpaX speakers
    see
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5404920/

"Usually that means littering hallways, my desk, the living room, dining room and every other nook and cranny with big pieces of cardboard. My wife always has something to some say about this. It's usually: “Get those boxes out of here!â€Â

At no time did either of us ever think of using the boxes as speakers."

ditton, Aug 26, 2005
  7. ListeningEar

Dev Moderator

So am I but, mini monitors? No, Tannoy come to life with LARGE drivers and even LARGER cabinets.

I like my SRM10Bs:).

Come to think of it, isn't a small efficient speaker is an oxymoron? I'd think for 90dB or higher sensitivity one needs to look at a relatively large speaker.

Dev, Aug 26, 2005
  8. ListeningEar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Aug 26, 2005
  9. ListeningEar

technobear Ursine Audiophile

technobear, Aug 26, 2005
  10. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

Thanks for all the input guys. I must admit, when I originally drafted this thread I was racking my brains to see if I could remember ever even seeing a high-efficiency mini monitor, so the fact that some of you report that you need larger boxes to achieve this makes me think I have not missed a whole section of the loudspeaker market!

I notice that some of you state that bass would have to be sacrificed in this type of set up. This doe snot bother me at all, this system is purely for late night background music while reading a book in bed, or when my pain levels prevent me from getting to sleep. I am not looking for a full scale system here.

Anyone know anything about the Rogers dB101's?

ListeningEar, Aug 26, 2005
  11. ListeningEar

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The dB101 is slightly more efficient than the KEF at 92 dB but the frequency response is -3 dB at 75 Hz (cf. KEF 45 Hz) so they are likely to lack warmth, not to mention welly. They are also 4 ohm, not 8 ohm so check that your amp can cope.

technobear, Aug 26, 2005
  12. ListeningEar

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Aug 26, 2005
  13. ListeningEar

ditton happy old soul

I am serious about the Soundpax, especially of bass is not an issue with you. I think I paid the equivalent of £20 to £30 (was bought bundled with the Sonic-T amp and carrying case for £60). They are efficient, and have to be as they are driven by 15w, powered by 12v of battery! And they rock - or rather they vibrate in very articulate manner. I have fixed them up in spare bedroom. Addition of sub makes them really shine.

You could even decorate them.

ditton, Aug 26, 2005
  14. ListeningEar

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

The Revolver R16 is 8ohm 90dB. Specifically designed for use with valve amps. Good vfm.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 26, 2005
  15. ListeningEar

ListeningEar

I think I would want to hear the SoundpaX speakers first. I know, I hear you shouting 'they are only cheap'! But as I am on disability and very minimal income every penny counts so I am unwilling to test all 'cheap' offerings that pass my way.

ListeningEar, Aug 26, 2005
  16. ListeningEar

Markus S Trade

If you're up for a bit of woodworking, a pair of Petite Audiophile speakers - a pair of Fostex FE103 Sigmas full range drivers in a reasonably large enclosure - would be superb for your amps and requirements.

Markus S, Aug 26, 2005
  17. ListeningEar

joel Shaman of Signals

What does superb mean in this context, Markus?

joel, Aug 26, 2005
  18. ListeningEar

Markus S Trade

Single driver = point source, can be listened to from very close and sounds articulate at very low levels. Good efficiency, valve-friendly impedance. Pretty good sound, certainly better than any of the 'commercial' low cost offerings I've heard.

Markus S, Aug 26, 2005
  19. ListeningEar

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

In which case the l'Petite Marcus recommends is a good idea (I could e-mail you the scans from the original article in l'Audiophile).

That said, you might want to be even more cheap than that, just like I was for my Bedroom system.

I went around the local "Cash Converters", Charity Shops et al, keeping an eye out for the typhical classical mid 70's and thereabouts Japanese cheap Stereo Speaker. Look for boxes with a single driver, no whizzer cone and no port.

I cam away with a pair of JVC's at £ 8, rated 10W Music. I had already popped the grill and had had a good look. When i insisted in hearing them the Shop assistant was completely doubfounded by what emerged out of these Speakers.

The bottom line, inside where 6.5" single (paper) cone Drivers also marked JVC, with an old style horseshoe Alnico Magnet, probably around 92 - 94db/W/m sensitivity and when wall mounted as inteded with solid bass down into the 60Hz range. Imaging belies the flat to the wall mounting, very high treble is AWOL, something which a cheap Piezo supertweeter could easily fix.

By modern standards these speakers may be a bit coloured and they lack this overly processed and boomy "pressure bass" many modern minimonitors whose tiny drivers are forced to try move air they cannot due to size constraints produce which to me is a plus.

But from CD's of acoustical music via Barry White and Motown (remember, this system is in our bedroom) to breakfast radio (used to be heart FM, now boring, what's the best London breakfast radio show now?) they make the music real very much in the way the big rig downstairs does.

So, how about it? Off to the local "Cash Converters"?

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 26, 2005
  20. ListeningEar

ditton happy old soul

they certainly don't sound cheap. Dont just take my word for it, you could pm Dunkyboy (of active ATC fame) and Shrink (of epos es 30s fame), as they had a demo of the MP3 player into sonicT into SoundpaX.

ditton, Aug 26, 2005
Ask a Question