Eichmann Silver Bullets - worth the extra?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jtc, Nov 29, 2005.

1. jtc

jtc

Hi folks.

A couple of years back everyone was banging on about the Eichmann Bullet Plugs as being a no-brainer choice for terminating interconnects. Now I see they have the 'silver bullet plug' which weighs in at considerably more. I have the chance to buy some interconnects which have the choice of WBT locking phonos or Silver Bullets, and there's not a great deal of difference in the price. Then again, I could specify the ordinary bullets and save £30 per i/c.

So, who's using the silver bullets, and do you think they're worth the extra?

John

jtc, Nov 29, 2005
  2. jtc

blakeaudio

i'm using the silver bullets. i like them, not sure how big a difference there really is between all of them, but in for a penny...

blakeaudio, Nov 29, 2005
  3. jtc

jtc

Ta. How are you getting on with the Minimax, by the way? I'm still amazed at how good it is for the money (or even how good it is regardless of its cost) especially following the upgrade to a NOS E80CC in the middle tube position...

jtc, Nov 29, 2005
  4. jtc

Anex Thermionic

Dunno about the bullets but are the WBT locking things the ones where you just screw the barrel forward so it clamps the socket? They're a fiddly pain in the ass imo, way more trouble than they're worth and I've never found any benefit to actually locking them in place.

Anex, Nov 29, 2005
  5. jtc

jtc

Yeah, except the WBTs screw forward to 'unlock' and once in place you screw back - i.e. away from the equipment - and it locks. I'm not a fan either!

jtc, Nov 29, 2005
  6. jtc

zanash

There the best I've used ...head and shoulders above the coppers ones,....which are a head of most else out there. Not tried the wbt nextgen just too expensive. The way to go seem to put as little "odd" metal in the way of the signal, so the cheap neutriks actually sound very good and are great value at a £1 a throw.

zanash, Nov 29, 2005
  7. jtc

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The silver bullets easily beat the wbt lockers, the next gen's are slightly better, but not worth the extra cost IMO, though for a good bet try the Cardas Rhodium ones around £45 they may surprise you TC

wadia-miester, Nov 29, 2005
  8. jtc

Anex Thermionic

sorry yes, I was just thinking about it the wrong way

Anex, Nov 29, 2005
  9. jtc

blakeaudio

the minimax has been in situ now for 2 years, and i have no complaints. i have said previously, that the only thing i'd bother changing it for, would be for a VAC pre. (i think the Renaissance Preamplifier Mk II) although, i have recently discovered a problem relating to the use of a mc cartridge, head amp with valve amplification, but i'll start a seperate thread about that.
    as far as the silver bullets go, i also think the whole locking collar thing is a pain in the backside. i have wbt "like" plugs on the cables i made up to run to my dvd player.

blakeaudio, Nov 29, 2005
  10. jtc

Neville

I've just made up some of Zanash's DNA cables, one pair with silver bullets and one pair with some Profigold phono's.
    The difference is very noticeable, the silver bullets sound significantly better. The DNA cable with the silver bullets is fantastic, significantly cleaner and more detailed that my other interconnects, you should give them a go.

Neville, Dec 2, 2005
  11. jtc

rsand I can't feel my toes

2nd'd on the DNA!!

I hate locking plugs with a passion, why do they need locking anyway? I have NEVER had a plug come loose EVER and the bullets are prtty grippy in their own right.

rsand, Dec 2, 2005
  12. jtc

jtc

I'd make my own cables but these guys in the US are selling completed cables for around the same amount of money that I'd spend just buying the silver bullet plugs anyway, so why waste more precious time...

I'm going to order a couple of RCA pairs to try...

jtc, Dec 2, 2005
  13. jtc

PaulH

They make little (if any) difference.

PaulH, Dec 2, 2005
Ask a Question