EL34 valves - what's good, what's not?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thrudge, Aug 31, 2005.

1. thrudge

thrudge

Anyone know which manufacturers are good and which to avoid?

Also, has anyone used or know anything about the 'new' Mullards? Apparently, the Mullard name has been bought by A.N.Other Company and new Mullard valves are now being manufactured in Russia. They claim to be identical to the original Mullards and have the original logo.

I'm weighing up a set of these (a steal at £40 for a matched quad from the US), so any advice would be welcome.

I'm also looking at RFT EL34s, which were apparently rebranded as Brimars once they left the factory. These are £100 for a quad (ouch) but I've used Brimars before and they are wonderful.

thrudge, Aug 31, 2005
  2. thrudge

zanash

zanash, Aug 31, 2005
  3. thrudge

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I'm sure E.A.T. have some lovely EL34's they could sell you. Probably won't be cheap though.....

Dynamic Turtle, Aug 31, 2005
  4. thrudge

blakeaudio

the new sensor mullards are rather good. they took an age to burn in, but now they are really sweet. i had the svetlanas before which i also rate highly. the new sensor mullards were really noisy until they had burned in, now they are very quite with great tone. they're not so expensive either.

blakeaudio, Aug 31, 2005
  5. thrudge

ListeningEar

ListeningEar, Sep 1, 2005
Ask a Question