EL34 vs KT88

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by melorib, Apr 25, 2007.

1. melorib

melorib Lowrider

I always read that EL34 have better mids, less bass and slam...

The guy that makes my speakers, says: The KT88 sounds a little bit better. The EL34 is more for Musicstage....

Comparing my amplifiers, I do prefer the mids of the new EL34, bass and slam similar, but this time I replaced the power tubes, used original Chinese KT88 on the "old" amplifier, so the difference could be the due to better brand/model rather than type of tubes...

What do you think ?

melorib, Apr 25, 2007
  2. melorib

Blue Note

In general terms, it's clear to me that the KT88 is superior in every way to the EL34, but brand selection is critical. Amps are also usually designed to get the best out of a given tube. Personal preferences will also play a very big part.

In my experience, the basic 'character' of the amp is created by your choice of the small signal tubes, get those right before playing with power tubes. You just have to experiment and play till it comes right. But when it does, boy is it rewarding!

Blue Note, Apr 27, 2007
  3. melorib

anubisgrau

...and don't forget that KT90 is superior to KT88.;)

anubisgrau, Apr 27, 2007
  4. melorib

melorib Lowrider

In both amps I replaced the small signal tubes, power tubes only replaced EL34, and this EL34 do sound a bit better than the KT88 on the Cayin...

melorib, Apr 27, 2007
  5. melorib

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

One day I fancy an apple, the other an orange.

There is no better, they are different.

LiloLee, Apr 27, 2007
  6. melorib

Neil

I'm rather fond of valves - I would agree that signal / rectifier valves can make as much difference as the power valves, from what I recall of power valves things started with the cheap and reliable 6L6 - didn't sound too accurate though. The KT66 was an improved version. The EL34 pentode was good for push / pull and class A and was more powerful. As for the largely interchangeable 6550 and KT88 ( I like the Svetlana 6550C) the 6550 was a 'bigger' 6L6. The KT 90 is I believe a sort of derivation of the EL519 - sadly didn't like the ones I tried (but, hey. that means nothing!!).
    I've bought a few "tubes" from our transatlantic cousins at Jacaudio -they have lots of good info on their site - hang on I'll get the URL........ in fact here is a page with just the info : http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm

Neil, Apr 27, 2007
  7. melorib

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

all depends on the amp.

One difference between EL34 and kt88/6550......

about £20!

bottleneck, Apr 28, 2007
  8. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Sure, and that is a good one, but NOS EL34 are more expensive than NOS KT88...

melorib, Apr 28, 2007
Ask a Question