England fans - a souvenir for you...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Jul 18, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Jul 18, 2004
  2. michaelab

Lord .

Lord, Jul 18, 2004
  3. michaelab

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

Riiiight !!

Well, personally I would be very suspicious of that sale. I think it is far more likely that it is just one of 20 or more balls that were produced for the match. Most likely it was never even used.

Think of it like this. If you were a Portugese fan and you had caught that ball from the Beckam free kick, would you sell it?? Given that it would be very hard for you to prove it was that actual ball and that it will have quite a large sentimental value to you as a fan. Now compare that likelyhood with someone that has managed to get hold of one of the balls, a ground employee for example. The ball, having never been used will mean little or nothing to you. So you're much more likely to try and scam someone with it.

Just my opinion of course.

GTM

GTM, Jul 19, 2004
  4. michaelab

Chea Johndle Bizarre Serpent Foomaster

Loada BALLS really :)

Regards

Chea Johndle, Jul 19, 2004
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Well, I think the guy is Spanish so it may have little meaning for him. However, I agree that it does look a little suspect. If I were after something like that I'd want a bit more proof of authenticity. He has a picture of himself with the newspaper "AS" and mentions that in the Spanish commentary so it's possible they wrote a story about him catching "the ball" and possibly have a pic of him actually catching it, which would give some more authenticity to it. Also, the auction is restricted to pre-approved buyers (you have to contact the seller first to be allowed to bid) - that also tells me it's probably real.

The current bid is 21500 Euros :eek:

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 19, 2004
  6. michaelab

batfink

Seems a good enough reason to sell it to me! Surely even the most die-hard fan would be willing to part with it for that kind of money. It'll be worth far more now than it will be in 5-10 years time.

batfink, Jul 19, 2004
Ask a Question