English moving to Wales

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jul 11, 2009.

1. amazingtrade

lbr monkey boy

owain glyndwr - pub in the city centre; very manc friendly.

Seriously though, the comments on South Wales would arguably have been valid 10 years ago, but the language is definitely enjoying a resurgence.

Interesting fact: Italian and Welsh are the only two languages in which the relationship between spelling and pronunciation is entirely regular (by which I mean, having learnt the rules of pronunciation in either language you could correctly pronounce every word from the written form - there are no exceptions to the basic rules). Not true of any other language.

lbr, Jul 15, 2009
  2. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Its simple really, North Wales is a lot more rural and apart from tourism and people retiring there it probably does not get much immigration (if you can call in that). South Wales however has lots of major cities so will have a lot of migration from other Southern parts of the UK such as Bristol.

This influx of English but dilute the Welsh culture and langauge. I am all for Welsh language but I think more parts of the UK need their own proper local government. I am sick of places like Manchester being completly ruled by Whitehall.

There is also the issue that we are not allowed to be English any more. The only person I know that puts up English flags is an avid BNP supporter and that is the major problem. Not many English will now display England flags because people will think its racist then you get these BNP idiots who just make the thing ten times worse.

England no longer has a true identity and facist organisations are to blame for that.

amazingtrade, Jul 15, 2009
  3. amazingtrade

DavidF

Wow!

Not sure as youi can say that at!

Not these days!

Quite right though Cardiff (I recall being told in o level economics) is an adminstative city. Makes a crazy bit of sense.

Yep my grandparents moved up to NW in the early 60s...retirement.

I know my Mum and dad looked at it too.

I woked for a welsh speaking family when i first started out. It gave me a healthy respect for the language. Its such a shame more of the welsh don't respect it too! I'm very hapy to heear your support for it at, genuinely. You don't often hear that.

Re england....i agree on that too (largely)....I'm sure its very politically incorrect though!!

DavidF, Jul 15, 2009
  4. amazingtrade

Being PC has held us back far too long. Most PC stuff I do agree with but 20% of it just goes too far.

I have a lot of English family in North Wales who moved there from Manchester but they already had some Welsh blood in them. They now run shops.

However in terms of jobs there isn't really much in North Wales compared to the South so that is probably why its a lot more Welsh. However North Wales probably gets a lot more tourisim too.

amazingtrade, Jul 16, 2009
  5. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Really??
    Shows how little you know about the area.

penance, Jul 16, 2009
  6. amazingtrade

Compared to North Wales of course it does. The entire population of North Wales is as big as a large city.

7. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Your statement about people from Bristol moving to south wales is way off the mark. Why would people move to a place with less work???

penance, Jul 16, 2009
  8. amazingtrade

I never said it was positive migration. Work pops up any where. I know a lot of people from Manchester who have moved up to the lakes for work (Sellafield) even though there is much much more work in Manchester.

Bristol was an example as a near(ish) by big city. Its much less likely that mancs would move to South Wales say compared to Bristolians. A lot of Scousers settle in Manchester because of the jobs but they also know that they are only 30 minutes away from home too.

9. amazingtrade

spica

amazing that such a small 'island' has so many invisible borders, as many as there are soccer teams...i suppose, that's why i like to call it 'leylandii' :)

spica, Jul 17, 2009
  10. amazingtrade

DavidF

:D

You do horticulture spica?

DavidF, Jul 20, 2009
Ask a Question