Epos M5 or 2nd hand M12 mk1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rockhopper, Jan 19, 2006.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper

Hi,

I'll soon be buying a pair of Epos stand-mounters for stereo use and also for the main channels in surround.

I'm just wondering whether anybody with experience of the above speakers can tell me which would be better? I think the original M12 has been around a while now, but I can find a used pair for around £250. Or I can go for a new pair of M5s which I can get for around £310.

I know the current M12.2 speaker is a step above the M5, but would just like to know if the original M12 is up to scratch?

Also, would the M12 work as well in a small room? This is the reason I am changing to a stand-mount design.

Thanks for any help.

rockhopper, Jan 19, 2006
  2. rockhopper

daytona

sadly the m12.1 was not great, lacking the authority that epos is good at so it was changed to the 12.2 quickly. so either get m5 or m12.2 or if poss es11? in all cases a good current amp like naim, creek or densen is required with all things epos.

daytona, Jan 19, 2006
  3. rockhopper

shrink

i agree try to find older ES11 or even ES12's

far better in my opinion than the newer epos offerings. The new ones are just a bit dull in my experience. I use a pair of ES30's and have used ES22's and ES12's all very enjoyable.

all older epos however respond well to a decent and fairly hefty amp in spite of their size and specs.

shrink, Jan 19, 2006
  4. rockhopper

rockhopper

OK thanks for your replies, i'll stay clear of the M12.

I've recently bought a pair of 2nd hand ELS3s, and I have to say i'm very impressed. Havent heard the M5 but they are supposed to be a leap ahead of the ELS3, so I think the M5 is the one to go for.

rockhopper, Jan 20, 2006
  5. rockhopper

Garmt

I say buy ES11 or ES12! Or why not even ES14?!

Garmt, Jan 20, 2006
Ask a Question