errr...upgrade your rusty Marantz CD63 for only £1120!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by robs, May 22, 2005.

1. robs

robs

2. robs

Lt Cdr Data om

corr, well nothing wrong with the caps in the 63ki or 6000ki, they are silmics and lots of em. pointless changing these, very fine caps.
    audiocom are dear
    the problem with 3rd party unsolicited mods, particularly uprating psu caps is that sometimes it can cause reliability problems and break down, as things are designed carefully. ratings of transformers and such like. I had a audiolinks modded amp break down due to their mods.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, May 22, 2005
  3. robs

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Yes, but by now they are VERY OLD fine cap's. I would suggest after around 4 - 6 Years any gear with electrolytic capacitors is ready and due for a wholesale replacement of them. The effect is often staggering and people fail to realise just how much these things degrade with time.

Ciao T

3DSonics, May 23, 2005
  4. robs

batemansxxxb

upgrade your cd63ki much cheaper than audiocom

i have a marantz cd63ki modded by the audio excellence guy on ebay,many capacitor changes,op amp changes,trichord clock4 with never connected psu,it certainly didn't cost me audiocoms stupid prices,far less than that,and it slaughters a naim cd5x with a flatcap2 connected,so much so i got shot of the naim combo,i was the biggest skeptic going but now i'm convinced,if you don't beleive me you're welcome to an audition :JPS: (you can contact him on ([email protected])

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2005
    batemansxxxb, May 23, 2005
  5. robs

zanash

or get a copy my rom and learn how to do it yourself. I even think i've details on the 63...mind you have source the components and do the work yourself !!

zanash, May 24, 2005
  6. robs

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've had two motherboards where the capacitors have started to leak causing problems such as crashing and 100% cpu usage so these boards were often less than three years old, si I can well believe that HIFI caps need replacing.

amazingtrade, May 24, 2005
  7. robs

Tenson Moderator

Hmm.. interesting you say that! Recently on my computer when running Cubase SX 2 if I open an old project (still saved under SX 2) it will go right to 100% CPU usage and I just can not figure it out. I suppose it isn't the mobo though because its only on old Cubase projects that this happens and new ones are fine as is everything else but still!

Do you think I would notice any difference in replacing the caps in my Discmagic transport?

Tenson, May 24, 2005
  8. robs

Anex Thermionic

That might be because cubase is a very badly written piece of software? ;)

You might do, try it and see :) Although if your DAC is of similar age I'd think it'd be more beneficial to do that first.

Anex, May 24, 2005
  9. robs

darrylfunk

tenson

i'm not suggesting your into pirate software but most pirate versions of sx2 do that and i have not seen it happen on any non-pirate copies. if you get my drift , not casting any aspersions etc.
    please don't mention this as it's only a suggestion i may be wrong etc etc. ;) :D :JPS:

darrylfunk, May 24, 2005
  10. robs

rsand I can't feel my toes

How do you get one? ££?

rsand, May 24, 2005
Ask a Question